Little OTA info help...

It does not come from the OTA signal. Dish gets it from tribune but they have a very erratic patern of providing it. here in the DC area I am missing guide data for THIS TV (though I have it for baltimore) Get TV, escape, Grit, and Movies! as well as fora few LP stations. Not much rhyme or reason about what subchannel data they provide and what they do not.
I also receive Baltimore OTA as well as Philly and Salisbury OTA. I was wondering if you had heard anything regarding MyTV24(WUTB) and their 24.2 substation and what will replace Bounce since it moved to WMAR 2.3?

I can only speak for the Dayton market and what I was told (by the chief engineer at Time Warner and one of the engineers at the local station that provides the uplink for both D* and E*) is that with cable, 3 of the 4 are provided by "fiber". The fourth one is by OTA. For satellite, ALL 4 come to the uplink via fiber.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Comcast, in my region, gets its feeds via fiber directly from the stations. Dish, on the hand, gets them OTA...

Only for OTA viewers, yes ? If I'm not mistaken, they can feed it to the cable companies and satellite uplinks at full(er) bitrate.
In fact, they do, I know for sure Comcast & DirecTV gets HD feed on this CW but Dish uses the national CW feed - (also, in SD).

There's been some changes in my local station's ownership resulting in broadcast chanel numbers, etc. lineups. The Dish satellite channel broadcast have properly changed to match but my local OTA CW Network, which was moved to a different sub-channel under the same primary, no longer has guide information. How does the OTA module get guide information, is it actually contained in the OTA signal or, provided by the local to Dish in some other manner. I'm trying to figure out who to be asking about getting this restored.
On a side note, I'm seeing another anomaly on this same channel. It's being broadcast in HD but the picture quality is thoroughly screwed up. For one thing, the image is horrible quality, zoomed format and, the format button on the Hopper remote does nothing - zero effect- on this channel. Any other channel, satellite or OTA, it's fine. This channel moved from a .2 subchannel to a .3 with the same tower & ownership. I'm hoping this is a temporary local glitch & plan to contact the station about all the issues - just not sure about the guide content and cannot grasp why or how my format button is disabled on a single channel.

I'm glad you posted this topic. I just noticed the problem this past week, and wondered if the new CW sub-channel would ever be in HD again. (Also still wonder if the flickering will ever improve.) I think it's time to restart my subscription to Hulu Plus. (Sigh.)

I'm glad you posted this topic. I just noticed the problem this past week, and wondered if the new CW sub-channel would ever be in HD again. (Also still wonder if the flickering will ever improve.) I think it's time to restart my subscription to Hulu Plus. (Sigh.)
It is horrible, right? I don't know if it's BS or not but the KNOE engineer I spoke to said they only had room for 2-HD channels on the tower and ABC (KAQY) obviously got priority. Doesn't make sense to me, all are on the same tower but, what do I know?

Because it costs money. I'm sure that, when they looked at rate of return, it was decided that it wasn't worth it....

I can only speak for the Dayton market and what I was told (by the chief engineer at Time Warner and one of the engineers at the local station that provides the uplink for both D* and E*) is that with cable, 3 of the 4 are provided by "fiber". The fourth one is by OTA. For satellite, ALL 4 come to the uplink via fiber.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
In my market, one cable company (out of 100+ serving the market) gets feeds via fiber. The rest are OTA. Dish & Direct are strictly OTA with one channel feeding Direct on fiber (Direct's LiL pickup is at the same site as the station).

I wonder what the cable/satcos are getting on fiber? The encoded signal (which means the station would need to invest in additional encoders to feed cable/satcos more bandwidth) or discrete SDI for each transmission path.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts