Little Rock HD Locals - Those Not Being Carried

Sigma

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 30, 2007
Arkansas
As a long-time Dish HD subscriber, I was glad to see the CBS (KTHV) and ABC (KATV) affiliate stations go live about a month ago. They look great!

Now the question is where is Fox (KLRT), CW (KASN), and NBC (KARK)? These all broadcast some HD programming. Don't know about WB (KWBF).

Have been told that Dish has been in negotiations with KLRT and KASN for a couple of months now with no agreement.

C'mon, Dish ... I pay you plenty for the programming I receive. Signing agreements with all of the LR locals will mean far more to me than some of the HD programming you already carry.

To fellow Arkansans, would suggest that you contact Dish Support and express your support in writing or by calls or we'll still be waiting months from now.

Last edited:
Its all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$. We in Beaumont,Pt.Arthur ,Tx area have at least 3 hd channels but only 2 are carried by DISH due to contract disputes over retransmission rights. Our local CBS is the sticking point. They want more money than DISH will pay. I am sure it is the same thing in your area of Arkansas .

Its all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$. We in Beaumont,Pt.Arthur ,Tx area have at least 3 hd channels but only 2 are carried by DISH due to contract disputes over retransmission rights. Our local CBS is the sticking point. They want more money than DISH will pay. I am sure it is the same thing in your area of Arkansas .

So the problem rests with the local stations and not Dish?

As I see it, that's what we pay Dish the locals fee every month unless the locals are getting a little too greedy.

Unfortunately, both KARK and KLRT are owned by out-of-state conglomerates that are trying to extort large sums of money from Dish Network. Locals are a loss-leader for Dish anyway, and any fee increases from the LiL owners only increase Dish's losses.

Don't look for KARK or KLRT in HD on Dish Network anytime soon. I made my own OTA antenna and plan to invest in a much better one in the near future.

By the way, Dish is unlikely to carry anything other than the big 4 in the Little Rock DMA.

I am also hopeful we will get the NBC and FOX affiliates in HD on the satellite soon. I have a Terk Antenna mounted on my chimney and get all the locals OTA except KETS (PBS). It’s HD signal is on Channel 3 and my antenna favors channels 10+. I plan to Dish Up to a 722K when available and at least will be able to DVR 2 locals from OTA and 2 from 77W at the same time.

I am also hopeful we will get the NBC and FOX affiliates in HD on the satellite soon. I have a Terk Antenna mounted on my chimney and get all the locals OTA except KETS (PBS). It’s HD signal is on Channel 3 and my antenna favors channels 10+. I plan to Dish Up to a 722K when available and at least will be able to DVR 2 locals from OTA and 2 from 77W at the same time.

Are your OTA HD locals full screen, or do they have the black bars on both sides?

I also think it helps to call or email the tv stations as well. I've emailed both 16 (fox) & 4 (nbc) asking when they will be in HD since channel 7 & 11 are now HD on Dish. I have also asked why they are on D* but not E*

Because Directv will pay the higher price for locals. Charlie will pay the same price for every local in the country or LESS. He won't go over the highest price he has agreed to for anyone. That is why the analog locals for years, were full of holes in locals pack across the country. Now it is the hd locals that are full of holes and won't be carried on the sat for sometime. The new 722k will help fix that problem. As long as DISH continues to carry the psip guide data for the stations , there shouldn't be any problem for subs to record two sat and two ota stations at the same time. This is Charlie's way of dealing with the situation.

Last edited:
No one gets it that it costs a good bit of coin to get your HD locals from the air, to the uplink, and back down to your satellite dish. If the station doesn't want to play then fine, you won't see it up there. Apparently the other stations wanted to play.

Received the following e-mail response today from KARK (NBC):

We have an agreement with Dish to carry the HD signal. I would guess they are working to get it on line soon. Thanks for watching.

Thanks,
Gayle Kiger

VP & GM KARK-TV

I'm assuming that everybody viewing what HD locals there are, is doing so via a second dish mount or they paid for the Eastern Arc setup. I was told that the only way to get LR locals was to extend my contract 24 months and they would have to install a 2nd dish to point at another satellite. Is this not true?

I received a similar reply from KARK as well. I received the following the Fox 16 program manager.

For the last several months we have been negotiating with DISH for the carriage of the KLRT-TV and KASN-TV High Definition signals, just as we have with all other cable and satellite systems with whom we currently do have agreements. Unfortunately, DISH has not been willing to come to an agreement on terms we feel are mutually fair. We are hopeful that we will be able to reach a favorable conclusion with them soon. Should you like to express your concerns to the folks at DISH, you may reach them at 1.888.284.7116 or www.DishNetwork.com and click on "Support". Thanks for taking the time to write.

Thanks for posting the info from KARK. I'm glad they finally signed a contract with E*.

I sure wish KLRT's corporate owners would do the same thing. It's the only one (other than PBS) that I have a tough time getting OTA.

KETS Little Rock

You'll have a lot easier time receiving KETS after the DTV transition. It is moving to a non directional signal with 26 kw on channel 7 from it's current 2 kw directional signal on channel 5. The coverage should be very solid at that point.

You'll have a lot easier time receiving KETS after the DTV transition. It is moving to a non directional signal with 26 kw on channel 7 from it's current 2 kw directional signal on channel 5. The coverage should be very solid at that point.

Thanks for the heads-up on KETS-DTV changes (more power, higher frerquency). I currently get KASN OTA with my antenna heading so maybe I will get KETS OTA after the February transition since they are genarally the same direction from my house.

I currently get KASN OTA with my antenna heading so maybe I will get KETS OTA after the February transition since they are generally the same direction from my house.

They are in the exact same direction-KETS is located right below KASN on the same tower.

Except during area lightning events and other impulse noise interference like light switches, motors, etc., that mucks with OTA DTV on VHF (even high band VHF).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)