Little Strange Voom Box Quirk

randym431

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 29, 2004
I noticed two white dots on my tv screen. Looks like the "dead pixels" look you see on some LCD monitors. When I turn off and on the box, the two dots go away and all looks normal. But from time to time, these dots return and the box has to be recycled to get rid of them. Not a real problem, just a strange one. First I thought it was my TV, but its absolutely an issue with the voom box sig output.

yup, its a known bug... press the VOOM key and then "OK" or something like that, someone said that fixes it sometimes

VOOM + WATCH always works for me.

Yeah they are easy to get rid of. Has anyone experienced the program info for a program coming up while watching a program? and then disappearing by itself?

vurbano said:
Has anyone experienced the program info for a program coming up while watching a program? and then disappearing by itself?
In which version?
5.08 was doing something like that when the Screen Saver was turned on.

I get that pretty often. So far I've just been rebooting. I'll try the Voom+watch and see if that does it. FWIW, my dtv e86 did the same thing a couple of times(not nearly as often as the voom box though)...first time I saw it I thought it was my tv going bad.

ILya

version 5.68. does not happen often. when it happens i look at my remote and scan the room for a ghost. LMAO. It only lasts a few seconds and I suppose might happen once a week. No reboot required. Its just weird though.

vurbano said:
Yeah they are easy to get rid of. Has anyone experienced the program info for a program coming up while watching a program? and then disappearing by itself?

I haven't seen this exact thing. But I have experienced something similar with the "No signal received" message that comes up while watching a program. Even though the program continues to come in and I am obviously still receiving a signal! :confused: When this happens to my STB, it usually means a reboot too since other stuff gets messed up. This seems to happen to my STB once every two months or so.

Hi:
What happens to a plasma screen if someone who doesn't read this forum happens to be watching my TV and leaves the white dot up for 4 or 5 hours?

jnardone said:
Hi:
What happens to a plasma screen if someone who doesn't read this forum happens to be watching my TV and leaves the white dot up for 4 or 5 hours?

I would adjust your set first. Read this thread for ways to to minimize burn-in.

IMHO most burn-in problems occurs because the brightness/contrast is set way too high.

Jerry

Hi:
I have calibrated with DVE and the THX optimizer - should I be OK?

Is it the same pixel every time that this bug occurs?

jnardone said:
Hi:
Why would you buy something so expensive that can be ruined so easily?

jnardone said:
Is it the same pixel every time that this bug occurs?
"Stuck pixels" are leftovers from some characters in the PG that are not properly erased when the PG is closed. There are several different situations that cause that (check here for details). So, you may see them in the same place, or in a different place depending on what you select in the PG.

vurbano said:
Why would you buy something so expensive that can be ruined so easily?

Because it hangs on the wall and I can watch it in a well-lit room if I want to. I also bought it at Costco so I can bring it back at any time.

So glad I saw this topic, I have gotten the white spot on two occasions since getting V*. I was sure it was my tv, the first time it would not go away and thinking it was my tv switched inputs. The second time I changed to dvd then back and it was gone. Very relieved to know its not my tv.

Thank goodness for this thread. I was ready to return my tv because it's near the end of its warranty! I'll try Voom+Watch...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)