Live DISH Press Event Coverage

So is that new remote for the Hopper with Sling?

It will work on the Hopper and Hopper with Sling.

They have a second remote which has the keypad button on it as well as the track pad. But I like the one that lights up the number keys on the trackpad if you need them.

Scott have we heard when that remote comes out that has the backlit numbers?

So the question remains about the Hopper and 4k compatibility? No mention of a 4k Hopper,
so is there a new Hopper on the horizon or is it possible that the current Hopper or HWS is 4k ready with maybe a software update???

So the question remains about the Hopper and 4k compatibility? No mention of a 4k Hopper,
so is there a new Hopper on the horizon or is it possible that the current Hopper or HWS is 4k ready with maybe a software update???
4K will be provided by the 4K Joey, no Hopper (right now) will be 4K, the Hopper will stream the data to the 4K Joey, the data is indiscriminate as to whether it is 480i, 720p, 1080i, 4K, etc.. The 4K Joey will decode the data that is streamed from the Hopper.

So all rooms other than the one where the Hopper is will be able to receive 4k with a 4k Joey? Perhaps a 4k Joey would be needed in the room where the Hopper is in order to receive 4k in that room. The only issue I see there is existing wiring and/or having to swap rooms where the Hopper and Joey are and the fee for the additional 4k Joey at $7 per month that would otherwise not have been needed if the Hopper was available in 4k.

4K will be provided by the 4K Joey, no Hopper (right now) will be 4K, the Hopper will stream the data to the 4K Joey, the data is indiscriminate as to whether it is 480i, 720p, 1080i, 4K, etc.. The 4K Joey will decode the data that is streamed from the Hopper.

I wonder why no 4K Hopper yet? It seems you would get the best 4K picture from the device receiving the original 4K stream. Is the 4K Joey going to be hardwired only, I assume 4K is going to take about 4x the bandwidth of 1080p.

I wonder why no 4K Hopper yet? It seems you would get the best 4K picture from the device receiving the original 4K stream.

No digital is digital. The zeros and ones remain zeros and ones until decoded.

With third setup no need for a 4k hopper, as you have all the functions of a Hopper such as pip and Bluetooth audio without the full cost of the Hopper with its tuners and hard drive. This is the cheapest and most efficient was of getting 4k to customers tv's who want 4k.

And btw they did not announce any 4k content yet they will be announcing some shortly including a few live 4k channels. Stay tuned!

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

No digital is digital. The zeros and ones remain zeros and ones until decoded.

With third setup no need for a 4k hopper, as you have all the functions of a Hopper such as pip and Bluetooth audio without the full cost of the Hopper with its tuners and hard drive. This is the cheapest and most efficient was of getting 4k to customers tv's who want 4k.

And btw they did not announce any 4k content yet they will be announcing some shortly including a few live 4k channels. Stay tuned!

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Unless it is being compressed for bandwidth concerns. If it is passing it on uncompressed, then yes it would be the same quality.

For instance with Sling from my Hopper to Laptop. The HD feed on my laptop is not as good as the HD feed coming directly from the Hopper. I assume there is some compression or downscaling slightly to ensure stability even on a >6mbps connection.

I can see a lot of 2 Hopper households switching out one of their Hoppers to get the 4K Joey.

Unless it is being compressed for bandwidth concerns. If it is passing it on uncompressed, then yes it would be the same quality.
For instance with Sling from my Hopper to Laptop. The HD feed on my laptop is not as good as the HD feed coming directly from the Hopper. I assume there is some compression or downscaling slightly to ensure stability even on a >6mbps connection.
Joeys get the raw data just as it was received from the sat.

Sling is a completely different beast, designed to recompress and re-encode the video so it can fit in the smaller pipes most folks have as their internet connection.

Reactions: Tampa8
I wonder why no 4K Hopper yet?
Not enough demand to make it something that everyone would get.
It seems you would get the best 4K picture from the device receiving the original 4K stream.
The stream is the stream regardless of how far down the line it comes from.
Is the 4K Joey going to be hardwired only, I assume 4K is going to take about 4x the bandwidth of 1080p.
How much bandwidth is required depends on what resolution and color space DISH chooses to use. 4K should require more than double the bandwidth if it is done right.

My take on things:

4K will not be coming from the satellite, it is IP.

4K material can be ordered and streamed to the HDD then played to the 4K Joey.

Dish has enough bandwidth problems now without doubling them with 4K via satellite

Joeys get the raw data just as it was received from the sat.

Sling is a completely different beast, designed to recompress and re-encode the video so it can fit in the smaller pipes most folks have as their internet connection.
AND encrypted to avoid any "open" streaming of the copyrighted content being sent to the view at the remote location. It should also be added that Sling's proprietary encoding/compression results in by far the best PQ with even very limited bandwidth compared to any other similar device.

Reactions: Tampa8
There will be 4k from the Satellite. Plus vod content will come frombsatellite as well.

Timing is right with the conversion of Western Arc to 8PSK in a few months, they should free up space to have some UHD streams just as the 4k Joey arrives. Too bad the hopper will not be able to view its own recordings. Something new for next CES I suppose.

I do home they have some major channels lined up for the 4k rollout. I remember just watching DHDT & HBO because of HD when they were the only 2 carried.

Reactions: bluegras

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts