Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
Live FUTBOL: Spanish Primera Liga
WorldSport-HD: Sunday, February 6, at 3 PM EST

_barcelona_.gif
Barcelona vs.
_atl_madrid_.gif
Atletico Madrid

A new episode of La Liga Report pre-game show starts as always 30 minutes before the game (around 2:30 PM EST).
It features an interview with RCD Espanyol player, Maxi Rodriguez.

Please join our game-time discussion in this thread!

For the latest schedules and standings, please check the following thread: Schedule of Live Soccer Matches on WorldSport-HD
Logos are courtesy of www.hqfl.dk

Source

First Division - Day 22

Real Madrid 4 - Espanyol 0

Madrid: Casillas; Michel Salgado, Samuel, Iván Helguera, Roberto Carlos; Beckham (Solari 68'), Guti; Figo, Raúl (Owen 77'), Zidane (Gravesen 57'); Ronaldo. 4-2-3-1.
Espanyol: Kameni; Ibarra, Lopo, Jarque, Domi; Soldevilla, Ito; Maxi (Amavisca 80'), De la Peña, Oscar Serrano (Corominas 61'); Dani (Jonathan 77'). 4-2-3-1.

Team changes: Madrid: Guti, Ronaldo for Gravesen / Espanyol: Jarque, Domi for David García, Tamudo.

Goals:
1-0. 13. Zidane. Picked up ball on left and cut past Ibarra to shoot into top of net.
2-0. 30. Raúl. Poked ball in on rebound after Kameni turned Figo shot on to post.
3-0. 75. Raúl. Got on end of Solari cross to steer ball wide of keeper Kameni.
4-0. 84. Gravesen. Latched on to loose ball on edge of area to shoot past keeper.

Playing twenty-four hours before leaders Barcelona, it was Real Madrid's turn to put the pressure on their rivals for the title this week, and they did so with a convincing 4-0 win over fourth placed Espanyol. Luxemburgo stuck to the diamond formation he put out last week, with Guti surprisingly displacing Gravesen and Zidane recovering from a stomach upset to play. Samuel also made it into the starting line up, a protective mask on his broken nose.

Espanyol were missing Pochettino, David García and their captain Tamudo, but De la Peña was on a high after getting his first call up for Spain, and he set up Maxi for him to test Casillas early on. Ronaldo should have scored at the other end a minute later when he rounded Kameni only to shoot into the side netting, but in their next attack Madrid went ahead, Zidane picking up a long ball from Beckham and rounding Ibarra before cracking a shot into the top corner of the net.

Espanyol were not prepared to lie down though, De la Peña putting Ito through for him to force an excellent double save out of Casillas. But a couple of minutes later Figo made himself space to fire a shot at goal, and although Kameni touched it on to the post, Raúl was there to poke home the rebound.

De la Peña forced another good save out of Casillas from a free kick just before the break, and ten minutes into the second half Luxemburgo brought on Gravesen to keep tabs on "the little Buddha". Dani got the ball into the net soon afterwards but his header was ruled out for offside, and Kameni had to be at his best to keep out Figo, Raúl and Roberto Carlos at the other end.

Madrid went three up though with a quarter of an hour left on the clock, Raúl getting on the end of Solari's cross to turn the ball wide of the keeper, referee Rodríguez Santiago turning down appeals for offside. And with six minutes to go Gravesen wrapped things up, latching on to a loose ball after Guti was tackled to beat Kameni and score his first goal for his new club. It was a record sixth win in a row for the new coach since he took over from García Remón, and his side move to within four points of Barça pending their match tomorrow.

Source

First Division - Day 22

Real Sociedad 3 - Valencia 3

Real Sociedad: Riesgo; Zubiaurre, Luiz Alberto, Labaka, Garrido; Aranburu, Mikel Alonso, Karpin, Nihat, Xabi Prieto (Larrea 78'); Kovacevic (De Paula 64'). 4-2-3-1.
Valencia: Cañizares; Caneira, Marchena, David Navarro, Moretti; Albelda, Baraja; Fiore, Di Vaio (Aimar 60'), Fabio Aurelio (Xisco 60'); Corradi (Mista 71'). 4-2-3-1.

Team changes: Real Sociedad: Zubiaurre, Garrido, Nihat, Xabi Prieto for López Rekarte, Rossato, Alkiza, Gabilondo / Valencia: David Navarro, Corradi for Ayala, Aimar.

Goals:
0-1. 09. Di Vaio. Ran on to long ball out of defence to shoot wide of keeper.
1-1. 45. Nihat. Connected with Karpin cross to volley long shot past Cañizares.
2-1. 79. Aranburu. Following up after Cañizares failed to hold on to Nihat shot.
2-2. 82. Baraja. Got on the end of Aimar free kick to head down past Riesgo.
2-3. 88. Xisco. First time shot on far post from Fiore's floated cross.
3-3. 91. Nihat. Ran on to Karpin through ball and squeezed shot past Cañizares.

A thrilling match at the Anoeta stadium between Real Sociedad and Valencia, where the lead changed hands three times before the match ended in a 3-3 draw. The visitors went ahead at first, Di Vaio running on to a long ball over the top to beat the offside trap and put his side ahead in the ninth minute. But Real fought back, with Baraja clearing a Luiz Alberto header off the line following a corner, and Marchena almost turning the ball in to his own net a few minutes later. And with the first half already in injury time, Nihat connected with Karpin's long cross to volley a shot which bounced past the surprised keeper in to the net.

There were few incidents from then on though until a quarter of an hour from the end, when substitute Xisco drove the ball into the net from close up after Riesgo dropped a long cross at his feet, only for referee Velasco Carballo to rule it out for offside. And a minute later Real were in front after Cañizares failed to hold on to Nihat's long shot, Aranburu following up to score.

It only took Valencia three minutes to level the scores though, Baraja getting between the defence to head Aimar's free kick down past Riesgo. And with normal time coming to an end, Xisco got on the end of Fiore's cross to fire a first time volley past the keeper and put the visitors back in front. It appeared that the Basque side were heading for a fifth defeat in a row, but with the game in injury time, Karpin shook off three defenders and slipped the ball through for Nihat to get his second of the night to save a deserved point for his side.

Sean:

Thanks for posting this info! I look forward to seeing Gravesen play for Real Madrid as I haven't seen him yet (looks like it will be a couple of weeks before we see Real Madrid on again, right?).

There's no question for me, if Voom goes dark I will miss seeing the La Liga games more than anything else. I get to watch them with my son who is now very into playing soccer and is a huge Roberto Carlos fan. He's got his Real Madrid #3 uniform, his poster on his wall and we get to watch the games together yelling at the referees. Not to be too overly dramatic but without Voom and Worldsport I don't know if my boy would be as excited about the game. I also have to say that I really enjoy Sid and Paul's commentary. I've watched a lot of sports in my day yet I can't remember looking forward to watching a televised event as much for the commentator's chatter as for the event itself. A few games back we got to see Sid and Paul as they swung the camera around to them at half time - happily neither has a "face for radio" :D as I had previously expected.

Today's matchup should be excellent. I love watching Fernando Torres play and having him go against crushing defenders like Puyol should be exciting. Eto'o has been on fire recently and does anybody have as much fun playing futbol than Ronaldinho?

I agree with you. These games have become the norm Saturdays/Sundays. My feeling is that it will be a long time to see these games again in HD (if Voom goes away). I have never enjoyed Soccer as much as I enjoy it now. We'll see today how Barcelona reacts to the little pressure put on them by Real Madrid.

Thanks for the feedback. It makes my job that much more enjoyable, with all the ups and downs, when I get to hear these stories. I plan to share them with our entire staff, so keep 'em coming...

Enjoy the game!

Matt

Matt,

Worldsport is one of the 2 or 4 VOOM channels that make the service unparalleled in my opinion.

If VOOM goes away I don't know where I will get my "futebol" fix. La liga is where the top "brasileiros" play.

I want to thank you and all the folks at WorldSport for the excellent programing you have provided us.

If VOOM ever goes away, I hope CVC and Rainbow media find a way to let you guys continue your fantastic work on another service. If that happens wherever you guys land will be where my monthly entertainment budget goes!

Thanks again!
Carlos Soledade

Matt, glad your out there. From my point of view, I would not call what you do a job, more like attending a party. A job is something you hate.

On this Super Bowl Sunday, remember real men play Futbol!

Agreed... as far as jobs go, I am pretty lucky.

This is my second year in a row spending Super Bowl Sunday in a control room bring LIVE Futbol to all you Voomers!

Any predictions on todays match? I think Barca... 3-1.

BIG NEWS... NEXT WEEKENDS LA LIGA WE HAVE A SPECIAL INTERVIEW WITH THE LEADING SCORER IN LA LIGA: SAMUEL ETO'O.

WSMatt said:
Any predictions on todays match? I think Barca... 3-1.

2-2 with a surprise first goal for Athletico Madrid. Where are you - Spain? LI? South Dakota?

To me the Super bowl is a contest between two teams which I would prefer both to lose.

What a season Eto'o is having, to think Real Madrid let him get away. I look forward to the interview.

BTW: What happened to including the "Play of the Week" where the ref got nailed in the nuts in Barca's last game? That's gotta get aired again, Paul really enjoyed it - it was pretty funny.

Eto'o will be a great interview. Mejuto Gonzalez is one of the best referees in Spain. He should have a good performance. If you have not guessed, I'm a referee. This past week I was nailed on the bridge of my nose. GGGGOOOAAALLLLLL already!

1:0 Atl. Madrid!

Hi everyone! Just got home in time for the game.

timfouts said:
If you have not guessed, I'm a referee.
A soccer referee? At which level? MLS?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)