Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
LIVE FUTBOL: Spanish Primera Liga
WorldSportHD and RushHD: Saturday, March 4, at 2 PM EST

_real_madrid2_.gif
Real Madrid vs.
_atl_madrid_.gif
Atletico Madrid
La Liga Report starts 30 minutes before the game on WorldSport.
Join our game-time discussion in this thread!

For the latest schedules, please check the following thread:
Schedule of Live Soccer Matches on WorldSport-HD and Rush-HD
Logos are courtesy of www.hqfl.dk

From Paul Giblin:

I admit I spent a good while thinking about what to write here on the way back from Zaragoza, before concluding that the best way to discuss what happened last Saturday night in La Romareda was to get straight down to business.

There has been an ongoing problem with racist chanting in Spain for a while now (ever since Spain national coach Luis Aragones referred to Arsenal striker Thiery Henry in pretty blatant racist language back in November 2004).

Incredibly Aragones is still in his job, and the fallout saw a lot of people think it funny to make monkey noises at black players in games. Samuel Eto'o has bared the brunt of several outbursts - as in Getafe last season (a game we covered on World Sport).

In Zaragoza he clearly reached a point where he had heard enough and didn't want to carry on. It was only a minority, but one person making those sort of noises is one too many.

The good thing is that the fans insulting Eto'o paid for their chants by seeing their team lose a game they could and should have got at least a point from: When Eto'o threatened to walk off, Barca had a corner, in the time it took for things to calm down the Zaragoza defense lost concentration and Barca won the penalty and consequently the match.

On the face of it, that seems a far better punishment than any paltry fine that will be handed to Zaragoza for the behavior of their fans.

By the way, Eto'o also got a lot of abuse as he left the ground half an hour after the final whistle... So there is still a lot of work to be done and as you can imagine it is front-page news all over Spain and has made headlines all over Europe. Not exactly the image Spain needs, but sadly one that, despite improvements in recent months, it probably deserves.

Looking at the other events of the weekend. Is it all over for Real Madrid after their defeat in Mallorca? They are back to 10 points behind Barca, while Valencia's failure to beat Getafe means they are 8 behind in second place.

Atletico Madrid meanwhile can't stop winning and next Saturday sees them visit the Bernabeu looking for revenge for the 3-0 home defeat they suffered to Real earlier in the season.

It could be a difficult week for Real Madrid after two bad defeats and again their season is in danger of falling apart, how Atletico would love to hand them the coup de grace in their own stadium... We will be there in high definition, so stay tuned.

PS: I do sadly have to inform you all that on Saturday there will be NO half time concert, but my version of the 'Cure' classic 'Just like Heaven' will probably be available on a website sooner or later.(oh dear)

Cheers,

PAUL

The game is on, and it's already 1:0. I just got home - missed the first goal :(

Goooooaaaaaal! 1:1

Gooooooooooaaaaaaaaal!

That was a beauty!

Exciting first half! Real Madrid is on top: 2:1

Looking forward to the Half-Time Show! :devil:
What will Paul sing this time?! :D

No concert for us today from Paul and Sid. Disappointed... :D

What stuttering? There have been some drop-outs today, if that's what you mean.

Guys, don't forget: there will be a UEFA Cup game on Thursday.
It's not in the program guide, so you will have to set your DVRs manually.

riffjim4069 said:
Is this on Rush or WorldSport?
On both! The Udinese-Levski game starts at 2:45 EST, I think. (I will double-check).

BTW, when are they supposed to cease Futbol on Rush?
They are hoping to have it on Rush through the end of the season.
Next season will be on WorldSport only.

Real Madrid - Atletico was a typical local derby: Lots of nerves, mistakes and not as much flowing football as perhaps expected.

Plus there was the added nervousness caused by the week's events at Real, with Florentino Perez leaving the club, a major shock for everyone.

As it was the loss of Maxi Rodriguez and Ibagaza was a bit too much for Atletico and they paid for missing too many chances.

For Real Madrid, the appearance of Cassano was a bonus - and probably means the end of Ronaldo as a Madrid player.

Barcelona are still 10 points ahead of Madrid though and Valencia's failure to win in Malaga only leaves the title even closer to a return to the Camp Nou, making the game between Valencia and Real Madrid a battle for second place.

We will be in the Calderon to see how Atletico react to their setback and get back on track for Europe.

Speaking of Europe, we have a UEFA Cup game on Thursday - Udinese against Levski Sofia. Udine is near the foothills of the Alps, rest assured we will wrap up warm.

Cheers,
PAUL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)