Live Retailer Chat Recap - December 22, 2005

I hope they tell everyone what birds you will need to receive in order to get all the HD channels.

As of now I do not know on what satellite NY HD nets will be, we know CBS-E is at 61.5 now, and if all LA HD nets will be on 148 as CBS-W is now or will all LA HD nets move to 129.

GeorgeLV said:
I'm sure you'd be saying something different if you got a 625 instead of a 622 because someone read the work order incorrectly. At the very least they could add a prefix to their model numbers. (i.e. HD-DVR 622, DVR 625)

Well I would promptly say, ummm wrong receiver, please get me the correct one.

Tom Bombadil said:
Now the questions are: What will be the cost of a 622, and when will they let existing customers buy/lease one? In the past, they have always withheld allowing existing customers to upgrade for a few months.

How long did Dish wait before letting existing customers buy/lease the 942 after it was released? If they wait to long I might just have to turn into a "new customer", if you get my drift.

jakek82 said:
I hope that question would be answered during the HD Chat. I live near NYC and with the locals coming in, most likely in MPEG4, it would be nice to know what will happen to the 811 I'm leasing currently.

Same here. I lease two 811's and would love to know what the upgrade policy will be for leasing people.

navychop said:
So how old is the 6000?

I can see it now:
vip622 retail: $700
tradeup from 942 in late 2006: $100 plus commitment
tradeup from 6000 in 2007: $698

Seriously- are people expecting the same deal for a receiver they've had for several years as is given people with year-old equipment?

There really is no reason not to expect a somewhat better deal than those who've had a newer model receiver a short time. Follow me on this: When I bought a 6000, it was paid for - not given to me or leased to me. Therefore Dish started making money on me the moment it was paid for, since I paid Dish's price (the installer I bought from didn't mark it up). I began subscribing to Dish HD in July 2002, so they have made money from me for over three years now. If Joe sixpack just "leased" a 942 last August (2005), which he was able to swing from dropping an e-mail to ceo@dish.com then Dish hasn't really made any money from this particular customer since the recevier hasn't even been paid for yet. They are expecting to reap their money closer to the end of the two year commitment. Who do you think they are more inclined to upgrade on a cheaper deal?

Purogamer said:
Maybe after a few days of having the new stuff drilled into his head, charlie will be able to repeat it correctly this month...or at least give us a laugh as he tries...
If podus uses a speechwriter & teleprompter, why can't Charlie ? If the news anchors wear an earphone to be prompted when they make a mistake, why can't Charlie ?

Last edited:
...how's the voice from the booth supposed to cut through all the dense air up there...

..in denver I mean...of course...duh, what were you guys thinking/??

"...At the very least they could add a prefix to their model numbers. (i.e. HD-DVR 622, DVR 625)..."

Actually, they do. It's not the 622, it's the VIP622.

&- Why would they discontinue the 942 so soon? Because it doesn't do MPEG-4 and cannot be software upgraded to do so. They will have to replace all non-MPEG-4 units over the next few years, so it's cheaper to stop putting them out the doors now.

What I meant by Dish Home interactive functions is some of their game and trivia subscriptions that they usually charge for.

Purogamer said:
...how's the voice from the booth supposed to cut through all the dense air up there...

..in denver I mean...of course...duh, what were you guys thinking/??
Unh. I always thought you were a bit backwards. :D

P.S. I think the other poster meant POTUS not podus.
POTUS = President Of The United States

OK, first a comment, then a question :). My comment is this, everyone sounds like they are waiting for Feb. 1st so they can run out and get the new 622 (which is called Vip622, so there, that defines it from the DVR625 :D) When has Dish ever released anything when they say they will, and since when has Dish released something that actually worked out of the box? I wouldn't buy one of these boxes until a few months at least goes by and they work out the bugs that I am sure it will have, and that is if they actually release it on 2-01-06.

Now my question, if Dish is still working on upgrade plans to move current customers from MPEG2 to MPEG4, then why is it I've seen people on here talking about getting a Vip211 with little or no $? And why is it, I've read that Dish can't promise that a person will get a 211, 811, or 422, when they order a 211, if that is the case then can those deals that people have wrote about, really be trusted (not the people writing, but on Dish's side of the equation?)

Anyways, I'm going to stick to Dish for now, but I'm not going to hold my breath, done that too many times already. But if it all works out the way everyone says it will, and after a few months of being released, I'll upgrade to the newest stuff soon.

What about that comment that was made in one of the threads where the basic receiver in Feb. would be an HD receiver?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts