Live Retailer Chat Update! (April 27, 2004)

Scott,
Any idea as to when this promo will start?
Also, I second the question of what if you don't have a "retailer of record" or they no longer are in business?

boba said:
Isn't it surprising how many "educated" Americans can't read,write or speak it.
I'm often amazed at that, myself. It's especially evident in online forums. The lack of punctuation, capitalization, and proper spelling is appalling. It also makes it difficult to understand the meaning of what they are trying to convey.

Well...as Benjamin Franklin so often said. "Screw it."

psycaz said:
Scott,
Any idea as to when this promo will start?
Also, I second the question of what if you don't have a "retailer of record" or they no longer are in business?

No idea when the promo starts.

And from past events like this if your retailer of record is out of business you are out of luck, or you can email the execs a lot and they will give you the special. :)

GaryPen said:
I'm often amazed at that, myself. It's especially evident in online forums. The lack of punctuation, capitalization, and proper spelling is appalling. It also makes it difficult to understand the meaning of what they are trying to convey.

Im not a bad speller, I just am doing a million things at once and type too damn fast. :D

GaryPen said:
Why? Because English is the official language of the United States of America, a nation of 300 million. So, it is really is an obligation of the 20 million or so Spanish speakers to learn English, if they have not already done so, isn't it? Of course, the illegals do not count, as they do not deserve any accomodation. (The term "illegal" is self-explanatory.)

If I were to move to another country, I would not expect them to accomodate me, as far as language goes. Even as a visitor, I do not expect it. I am a frequent visitor to Japan, and any difficulty I have communicating there is totally my fault. I welcome signs, documents, and spoken language in English, but I do not expect it.

Please read my original post again...I never said anything about expectation. Secondly, the United States DOES NOT HAVE AN OFFICIAL LANGUAGE. It happens to be the language of government, but other than that, the Supreme Court has struck down several English-Only laws. This argument goes back to the founding fathers when the issue was tackled 4 separate times and each time it was decided that it would NOT benefit the US to have an "official language."

Also lost was the part where I mentioned that 4 million potential customers live in US in a territory where Spanish IS the official language except for Federal Government. And if anyone has been in a US Circut Court proceding in PR you'd have a great laugh at that too...Spanish off the record...on the record...English.

Something else not noticed from my original post: most people who prefer to get billing and other information in Spanish generally ALREADY KNOW how to speak English. ...probably well enoough so that when having a conversation, you'd never know the spoke another language.

Finally, if you are in Japan (a rather homogenous society which is VERY different than the US, I've been there) and you have a choice off doing business with two different companies. Both are equal in all respects. One offers the option of service in English, the other doesn't...which would you do business with?

Dish is giving customers who PREFER (not demand) service in their native tongue what they want. What is wrong with that? I would also expect with all the South Asian and Chinese programming that Dish offers that they would eventually have billing in Hindi and Mandarin.

Any company or person that does business in southern, CA, AZ, TX, NM, CO, South FL and NYC and ESPECIALLY Puerto Rico that does not know Spanish is doing themselves a disservice.

Oh...and the 20 Million number DOES NOT include the native US born Spanish speakers (and they also know English). Yes, it's a minority, but a big one. One in 10 US citizens speak Spanish. One in 9 people in the US speak spanish.

See ya
Tony

JeffGia said:
I currently have a Dish 508 receiver, and have resisted upgrading to the 510, etc. because I wanted to avoid the $5 monthly PVR fee. Does anyone know if I will have to pay the $5 monthly fee for a 721?

No fee on the 721

JC

$249 for a 721 is a very good deal for a very good receiver. I hope they allow those that had gotten the previous DVR deals to get this deal as well.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Locals Update

CBS added to Milwaulkie
ABC added South Bend
Available april 15th El Paso
Deluth was launched
Fargo on the 22nd, missing NBC
Saracuse coming on the 29th missing CBS
Lacross Wi coming on the 29th
Portland Maine on the 29th

New Programming
Tea Ja $14.99 (India)
Gemini / Tea Ja package for $24.99 (India)
ITVN is Polish channel $14.99

PPV
The The FA Cup (Soccer) $24.99

well today is the 29th, will any of the listed cites make it up on time?

bcshields said:
The promo's already out there, it's on the retailer's website. It's printed on my desk.
And if you purchased your equipment piece-meal through e-bay, Wal-Mart and CompUSA, how do you get a $249.00 721?

mikew said:
And if you purchased your equipment piece-meal through e-bay, Wal-Mart and CompUSA, how do you get a $249.00 721?

You get a high level CSR who might actually have some brains to sell it to you. Call the Executive office, say you heard on a Charlie Chat the promo's out there, the CSR's say there isn't, it's crap and you're pissed about it. B*tch and moan till you get it.

What's the point in having a promo, when noone knows it's out there... squeak and ye shall be heard.

Actually, I had a csr tell me to go to CompUsa to get the deal. They were kind enough to provide me the number to three retailers I could call to get a 721, unfortunately, 1 is out of business, 2nd never answers the phone, and the 3rd is Compusa, which I haven't had a chance to get to - i am not holding out hope to get the deal price there.
Looks like I may have to go up the csr ladder, or email the higher ups.
Anyone know the email addy I should use to complain about wanting to give them my money but don't have anyone to take it?

psycaz said:
Actually, I had a csr tell me to go to CompUsa to get the deal. They were kind enough to provide me the number to three retailers I could call to get a 721, unfortunately, 1 is out of business, 2nd never answers the phone, and the 3rd is Compusa, which I haven't had a chance to get to - i am not holding out hope to get the deal price there.
Looks like I may have to go up the csr ladder, or email the higher ups.
Anyone know the email addy I should use to complain about wanting to give them my money but don't have anyone to take it?

You can't always believe what a CSR says that a retailer can or can not do. They have no idea about what goes on with the indirect side. A retailer will NOT get reimbursed for the required switches, LNB's, or installation of a 721 on this promotion if you are not their original cusotmer. The best you could do would be to find a retailer who would sell it to you at cost (now $249 - was over $400) and install it yourself. Of course, the retailer has to pay shipping to get it from DISH's warehouse to them, so the cost is actually higher than the promotional price.

If you have questions about the promo's send me an e-mail, and I'll explain it.

I don't need anything other than buying the receiver. I have two input lines ready to go. As far as I know, it should work with my current setup - dish500 w/sw64. I'll send you an email in a couple.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts