Live Transponders on Sat B

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bill1955

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 28, 2005
Could someone please tell me how many live transponders I should have on Sat. B(119). That is how many should be receiving some kind of signal ...... I currently have three, but sometimes a fourth one shows up..........should there always be four or should there be more than that??? Also, I read somewhere that Transponder 31 carries most of the HD content on Sat. B......do any of you know that to be true. Thanks alot.........

This was valuable information because now I find that I am not getting any of the Even (22, 24, 26, 28, 30, 32) Directvtransponders on Sat. B. But we are getting ODD transponders (25, 29, 31) which don't even appear to be Directv signals.........could something be set up incorrectly? What should I check???
Thanks,

Could be a whole lot of things unfortunatly, Dish aiming,LNB failure,Multiswitch problem
etc. Can you see a on-screen text msg by tuning in the test channels 490,491,492,493
494? These check the odd-even transponders for each satellite. They just display a
msg, which indicates reception.

492, 493 just say "searching for satellite signal"........490, 491, 494 give a message.......does this indicate a dish aiming problem? Is there a way to test for the other problems? Thanks,

Bill1955 said:
492, 493 just say "searching for satellite signal"........490, 491, 494 give a message.......does this indicate a dish aiming problem? Is there a way to test for the other problems? Thanks,
Channels 492&493 are the odd/even transponders of the 119 bird. Unfortunatly the test does not have any diagnosis help, only shows non-receipt of the 119 bird. It could be a LNB gone bad, or a bad multiswitch, or
even bad dish aiming(especially tilt). Is your switch on the dish or inside your
house? If inside, maybe you can switch terminals with another one. Verify
dish alignment settings, check for loose LNB. Sorry I can't be of more help, but
it seems that you are not receiving the 119 sat. I am assuming you have the
3 LNB phase 3 dish? The aiming of the dish is especially critical, especially the
third adjustment (tilt)...make sure the mounting is plumb.
http://emantechnology.com/lookangle.asp

After doing some tree work this weekend, I got very strong signals on all odd transponders on 119.....checked dish aiming, checked for loose LNB, checked all connections. The even transponders thru the HD receiver do not even register a signal. Thru the Tivo(that is just SD not HD) and is located in a different room, I can see that the signal is variable on the evens, it seems to flucuate wildly going from 0 to 80 to 30 but doesn't stay at any consistent level. The installer did do a kinda weird thing when he sat up the dish, he had to move it to a location further up the roof and at the location of the old dish he installed a grounding block to connect the cables together instead of running new cable, so we have two grounding blocks, one up on the side of the house and one close to where the cables enter the house...........could this be causing a problem. The multiswitch is in the dish itself. In the TIVO unit the odd transponders do register on the test channel.

An update....the installer was here today and tested cables, lnb...he says we are getting a strong signal from all transponders so the problem must be the receiver. They are sending us out a new receiver.

By your posts I'm assuming you have an Oval Dish with all 3 LNB's? Does it have the multi-switch on the back of it, or built into the arm?

I had a similar problem, Couldn't get even transponders on 119 or 110. Problem turned out to be a bad multi-switch. As moonman posted, a bad LNB would also cause a similar problem.

What signal strength are you getting on the 110 sat? Also if you have the older type oval dish with the SAT-C kit, make sure the SAT C / SAT B combiner output is going to the 18V SAT B input on the multi-Switch.

Brand new oval Phase III with built in multiswitch.............119 odd transponders are giving out 80 to 90 signals. 110's are in the 60 range.

Okay......just have to keep you all updated......NOW, we have the new receiver, refurbed Samsung 360.....got the even transponders on 119 for about 10 minutes Friday night when I was on the phone with Directv switching the access card......then they disappeared never to be seen again........the Directv support person was MAD at the installer, said it obviously was not the receiver since the signal is not there......so she's sending them back AGAIN............PLEASE ANYONE.......have you ever had this problem.....we have great signals on the odd transponders on 119 but only intermittant AT BEST on the even ones.......all other sats(101, 110) are coming in GREAT.

ALSO, can anyone tell me why the signal strength on the Signal Strength Matrix would be significantly different from the individual tests.....when I test the individual transponders on 119 I get 70 & 80's on the odds.........when I look at the complete matrix I'm getting 98's..........

Same Problem

I googled this and have the exact same probelm.. Even transponders don't work. We've had inastallers out over the past few years. It sucks! I believe now that it is the multiswitch or the LNB's that are broken. I'm calling Directv and having them fix it. I'll let you know if they can correct the probelm and what it was.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts