Live TV being Paused too long

elfranzen

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
Maine
My wife has a very bad habit of leaving the TV paused all the time. I will be buying a new HDTV soon and I would like to look at plasma but with my wife’s habit of leaving the TV paused all the time I am afraid that the bar at the bottom would burn in. Why doesn’t Dish have this bar go away after a min or two? My Tivo did this why can’t dish do it. I have a 625 now but will be getting a 722 Tuesday. Do they have a fix to this problem with the newer DVRs.

Should and do are two different things. Like I said I don't have a 722 yet but I'm guessing that if they didn't put this in the 625 they haven't put it in the 722 or 622. Just to give you an idea on how often she does this, she was able to burn this bar into an 40" LCD tv.

This is not really a solution, but a workaround. If after you pause you hit skip fwd or skip back once, the pause bar will be gone and you will still be paused and have advanced or gone back just a second. Then you have to wait a second for the pause/play symbol to pop back up, and then hit cancel to have just the picture and no UI symbols. If your wife pauses as much as you say she does, I don't see someone doing all these extra steps every time they pause, but I use it every once in a while. Maybe you could program the button combo into a macro of a decent universal remote.

Another workaround is to turn the TV off. I do this whenever I pause live TV, a DVD, etc. for more than a few minutes, like for eating dinner, etc.....

I do this but it has casued problems. Example: I turn off the TV only while I am out of the room to a few Mins. Wife comes in room turns on Sat. (but really turns it off) and the turns on the TV. Now the program I had paused it lost. This has happened more then once.

I do this but it has casued problems. Example: I turn off the TV only while I am out of the room to a few Mins. Wife comes in room turns on Sat. (but really turns it off) and the turns on the TV. Now the program I had paused it lost. This has happened more then once.

Tell her to always turn the TV on first!

Just to give you an idea on how often she does this, she was able to burn this bar into an 40" LCD tv.

I found this:

Sharp's Senior Vice President said that the condition can be reversed by "exercising" the pixel by playing snow, or turning off the screen for a while.

and

In the rare event that an image does become persistent, you can usually get rid of it by following these steps:
  1. Temporarily set the Energy Saver sleep setting to 'never sleep'.
  2. Display an all-white pattern across the entire display for the same amount of time that the persistent image had been displayed on the screen. To do this:
    1. Create an all-white screen in a graphics application such as AppleWorks or Photoshop, and save it as a JPEG file.
    2. Use this as the image displayed by the screen saver.
    3. Turn the display brightness down (but not off) to preserve backlight bulb life.
  3. Verify that the persistent image is gone.
  4. If necessary, repeat the process until the persistent image is gone.
  5. Restore the Energy Saver settings.
And lastly, you might want to consider this factor in your purchase:
POWER CONSUMPTION
Because LCDs use florescent backlighting to produce images, they require substantially less power to operate than plasmas do. LCD TVs consume about half the power that plasma displays consume. The reason: Plasmas use a lot of electricity to light each and every pixel you see on a screen - even the dark ones. Though plasma manufacturers have improved voltage consumption requirements a plasma TV will consume around a third more power for the same size display.

Right, well maybe I need to program the remote with a button that says long pause and it pauses the TV and turns it off but then only shows a button that says resume long pause and turns on the TV waits a sec or two and then un-pauses the receiver.

Question: What remote should I buy to do this?

My wife has a very bad habit of leaving the TV paused all the time. I will be buying a new HDTV soon and I would like to look at plasma but with my wife’s habit of leaving the TV paused all the time I am afraid that the bar at the bottom would burn in. Why doesn’t Dish have this bar go away after a min or two? My Tivo did this why can’t dish do it. I have a 625 now but will be getting a 722 Tuesday. Do they have a fix to this problem with the newer DVRs.
tell her to hit record instead of pause, then when ready she can restart the show. plus she will have it recorded in case someone else changes the channel ,then it is gone.

Sorry bud, can't help you there.

Communication is the bedrock of a successful marriage. Try telling her you powered off the set while pausing the receiver. If that fails, try leaving Post-It Notes (TM) on and around set letting her know....

I just asked her to get me a Harmony 880 for my birthday next month. Then I will make a Macro for Long pauses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts