Living in Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear ya.

Pretty much every suburb north of Dallas is fed off one lake, Lake Lavon.

It's still a good 7.5 feet below normal. We've been in Stage 3 water restrictions since June of last year. This means only watering our lawns once a week. Absolutely no washing cars in the driveway.

We can still use soaker hoses which we did every day last year for at least an hour, so that our foundation would stay moist and not crack.

If Florida didn't exist, I would have moved to San Antonio. Lived there for about 5 years and just loved it. Visited Austin a few times and it was OK but I understand there is lots of great music fests there if you're into that. For scuba, you just can't beat Florida and that includes California. Scuba was a primary consideration for me moving to Florida since I was an instructor back then but retired now. Soooo... if I were making the decision today, I think San Antonio or Austin would be a real contender. I really don't think there is much fresh water diving inland but the gulf has plenty of off shore diving on the oil rigs.

So far what Im hearing sounds good, I pulled out my never cracked open unix sys admins bible along with some other unix and linus stuff to start getting into the o/s's because Im tired of breaking my back and only fiddling around with comps as a hobby.

Im not worried about the heat or humidity, matter of fact I preferr it over the cold ( go figure, I work in a half million foot fridge/freezer and the freezer is set for -30 ). Im not worried about the crime that much being an ex metro detroiter who worked in some of the worst parts of detroit along with some other cities and I have no plans to move to houston.

There is a company that Im looking at now called etech solutions that looks promising and has a decent pay range starting at $20 an hour though I have to get my own truck and tools.

Last edited:
Don't know if it helps but I read in the paper where RackSpace was moving to the northeast side of Austin to a large building, maybe they're looking for some folks.

Austin and San Antonio have problems with Water restrictions. Here in Southeast Texas - Beaumont /Pt.Arthur , Tx we have so much water and rain, that we are constantly defending our water rights against cities like Austin and San Antonio, who want first dibbs at it. Houston has no problems with Water restrictions either. They are on the coast just like we are , 90 miles to the west of us.

Well the primary consideration is being close to her family whom I do get along with really well. Her mother has never seen our daughter wich is a long story thats no ones fault. The biggest thing is being able to find work as I am now definitely going to be saying good bye to my current employer after finding out some bothersome information about the health insurance I have ( dont get etna ).

Yep, Pensacola and the pan handle in general appeal, and not just for scuba.

Pensacola is nice except for the west side of town wich was rather run down and shady. Pensacola beach was decent though it was still under considerable renovation from hurricane dave when I was down there.

Pensacola is too risky for hurricanes. I have a friend who moved there to be close to his son, bought a house, had the roof blown off twice, and flood damage once, now is having trouble selling. He moved back to Jacksonville to get away from the costly hurricanes. BTW- scuba in Jacksonville offers mostly off shore diving for spear fishing, and big lobsters, Avg size is 6-8 pounds! Lots of wrecks (artificial reefs). Year round diving and blue water near the gulf stream. 4 hour drive to West Palm Beach, and excellent beginning cave diving as well as advanced. For military retired, two large Navy bases, Jax Naval air station and Mayport shipyard.

Pensacola is too risky for hurricanes...

I grew up in New Orleans. I would build an ICF home- Insulated Concrete Form, with panelized reinforced roofing; or earth sheltered north of Pensacola.

JAX is also high on the list. My wife "used to" like 4 seasons a year, but that appeal seems to be fading.

And thanks for the scuba link.

The Texas hill country (Austin, San Antonio area) is a little piece of heaven. Many of the rivers ans streams there are fed from the Edwards Aquifer which filters the water through limestone springs. Theres places where the water is 50 feet deep but it's so clear you can see the bottom. :)

Haha funny you should mention this area! My mother in law could be moving from Houston to Hill Country. We are going up to look at some property (24 acres i think?) that includes a cavern, a pond, and a trailer. Hope its a nice trailer or something so she buys it. But who knows, i think its only $125,000, so probably not :)

Well, the wife called me at work yesterday and told me that we're moving to the north Dallas area in the Spring/Summer 2008 when she finished her MBA. It's not our ideal location, but we've visited the area and when you add up all the factors: job market, affordable housing, weather, schools, traffic, etc., it meets our requirement. The only problem is that I'm retired military and we will once again be living away from family.

Pensacola is too risky for hurricanes. I have a friend who moved there to be close to his son, bought a house, had the roof blown off twice, and flood damage once, now is having trouble selling. He moved back to Jacksonville to get away from the costly hurricanes. BTW- scuba in Jacksonville offers mostly off shore diving for spear fishing, and big lobsters, Avg size is 6-8 pounds! Lots of wrecks (artificial reefs). Year round diving and blue water near the gulf stream. 4 hour drive to West Palm Beach, and excellent beginning cave diving as well as advanced. For military retired, two large Navy bases, Jax Naval air station and Mayport shipyard.

Pensacola was once a great place to live, and I love to stay at the mile long fishing pier which you can drive to your favority location to fishing, but not any more. Soo sad.

El Paso is dipping into our aquifer... consider West Texas or NM... less humidity and hustle and bustle ;)

I was thinking about moving to NM or AZ, but I don't know about the jobs or housing.

I just want to get out of this h*ll hole know as Pittsburgh.

Pensacola was once a great place to live, and I love to stay at the mile long fishing pier which you can drive to your favority location to fishing, but not any more. Soo sad.

Thank you for the tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts