LNB and frequency

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TiminMb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I notice my frequency is always several mhz off the reported frequency when I scan in transponders. Is this a problem? How many mhz out can you be and still get a good signal if you don't blind scan in the transponders? I guess the local oscillator is slightly off frequency in the lnb.

If you use blind scan I've seen frequencies off 3 or 4 and still be fine.

Heck there is a feed on AMC7 (137W) the RTV mux that is whacked. It scans in at 4160 but after it scans in the Manhattan shows 0 quality. I have to physically change the frequency to 4165 even 4170 for it to work again

All my transponders when I blind scan, are 16mhz higher than the published transponders. Should I swap out my LNB? It seems to prevent me from entering correct TP information and finding a channel.

Yeah that far off I would just replace it.

TiminMB,

16 meg off, that seems like a lot to me. Ice mentioned up to 4 Meg, I have observed as much as 5 Meg without trouble, but 16 Meg? That sounds extreme. I would suspect that the internal oscillator of the LNBF is off, but it could just as easily be a similar fault within the receiver, too. Can you borrow the same LNB model from a friend to test? If that is it, a new LNBF would be cheaper than a new receiver. Either way, you will have to isolate it by borrowing or buying one item or the other. Either that, or live with it knowing the offset value and always compensating for it. No money involved there, just an extra step in setup.

Radar

It's enough that I don't get any channels that I previously saved, nor do saved or preprogramed TP's result in any channels. I could swap receivers, but I really like the Mercury II for finding channels. Maybe its time to step up to a better LNB. Maybe get one of those ones that does both linear and circular.

Yeah LNBF would be the cheaper route. Like AcWxRadar said yes it could be the receiver....but mostly the lnbf. I would just order a new one. If it turns out to be the receiver, well at least you know you have a nice brand new lnb too;)

All my transponders when I blind scan, are 16mhz higher than the published transponders. Should I swap out my LNB? It seems to prevent me from entering correct TP information and finding a channel.
Shoot...just tune the LO in the LNB. Take the cover off and find the big tuning slug, then take a tuning tool or plastic screwdriver and tweak it until the frequency is correct.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)