LNB and Receiver in two locations

I am attempting to set up my Shaw connection in our new Rhode Island location but I am struggling. Because I set up my PA location so long ago I'm not confident about how I am proceeding. I am providing what details I can to get some suggestions.
1) the mast is plumb.
2) I have the same receiver (630) and LNB 75E as before. I using the same model 75E dish.
3) I have both coax cables connected to the two SAT B outputs. Should I have one coax on B and the other on the A side
3) I am using ANIK F2 as my target satellite and from my location the azimuth setting is supposed to be 231, the elevation is 27 and I am using the skew setting for Newport, RI since that was the only one I can find at 120.9. My zip code is 02852.

Since I am doing this without the aid of an electronic SAT finder Azimuth is my biggest concern. So for dish pointing I stand behind the dish and use the skew "circle" as my center point of the dish since it connects to the mast at that point. Otherwise, I don't know what other guide I can use for pointing. I tuned the receiver to channel 700. However, the light on the receiver has stayed red. So apparently, I have not found any signal thus far.
Based on the information provided above can anyone tell me where I might be going wrong or offer any tip on what to do next?

I have one other question. Because I am going in and out of the house to check the receiver with no assistance from anyone I'd like to speed things up. I would be able to see the receiver and the 'no signal' red light through a window if I disconnect the receiver from the TV. Would this work or does the receiver have to be connected to the TV?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Using stale pointing tables (including those built into receivers) is for the birds. Use DishPointer - Align your satellite dish and locate your dish at the new location. Make sure you pick the StarChoice Multi-LNB configuration for your "satellite".

For your zip code, DishPointer gives an elevation of 28.6 so it is understandable that you're not seeing the satellites.

Reactions: Josephinelcajon
No but the hard drive is not the same as in a laptop. the laptop hard drives have extra protection to prevent the needle and platters from moving during your moving
Really ????

Think about how much those hard drives get tossed around when they are shipped to be put in the DVRS, or the actual DVR getting bounced around in the truck from the warehouse ... moving is NOT an issue.

For that matter you can usually have a Hard drive on its side and it will work fine.

Really ????

Think about how much those hard drives get tossed around when they are shipped to be put in the DVRS, or the actual DVR getting bounced around in the truck from the warehouse ... moving is NOT an issue.

For that matter you can usually have a Hard drive on its side and it will work fine.
Hard drive shock protection is only found on laptop hard drives not what is found in a DVR. Dish does not recommend DVR use in a mobile situation.

Hard drive shock protection is only found on laptop hard drives not what is found in a DVR. Dish does not recommend DVR use in a mobile situation.

Presumably you're aware that RV'ers do not typically travel with their Hoppers powered on. When the Hopper powers off, the HD heads are retracted from the active platter area and parked.

I have had recvrs in RVs for over 20 years now and they always work fine, many others here have as well ....
Not sure why your disputing it.

Using stale pointing tables (including those built into receivers) is for the birds. Use DishPointer - Align your satellite dish and locate your dish at the new location. Make sure you pick the StarChoice Multi-LNB configuration for your "satellite".

For your zip code, DishPointer gives an elevation of 28.6 so it is understandable that you're not seeing the satellites.
Thanks for this information. I am surprised that multiple resources used an elevation of 27. I will try this shortly. And thanks for staying on topic instead of getting into the weeds about moving hard drives. We are probably going to stay in RI in any case.
Can you offer any tips on pointing the dish? Is using the center of the skew "dial" from behind the dish an effective means of dish pointing?

Reactions: AntiMoz
Can you offer any tips on pointing the dish?
Shaw has posted many videos on YouTube about setting up and aiming their dishes.
Is using the center of the skew "dial" from behind the dish an effective means of dish pointing?
No. There is a hash on the dish casting that rides near the edge of the skew plate. Line up that hash on the appropriate skew setting.

View: https://youtu.be/68QMpiFrg5g?t=115

dishpointer provides the skew numbers near the bottom of the results page. It will be somewhere around 120.

Shaw has posted many videos on YouTube about setting up and aiming their dishes.

No. There is a hash on the dish casting that rides near the edge of the skew plate. Line up that hash on the appropriate skew setting.

View: https://youtu.be/68QMpiFrg5g?t=115

dishpointer provides the skew numbers near the bottom of the results page. It will be somewhere around 120.

Sorry for the confusion. I'm not after the skew setting - which as you say is around 120. I'm talking about using the back of the skew plate as a flat surface for my compass app on my iPhone to find the correct azimuth. When I have tried standing in different positions and eyeball how the dish is pointed I'm not sure I am pointing the dish correctly.

Last edited:
3) I have both coax cables connected to the two SAT B outputs. Should I have one coax on B and the other on the A side

Doesn't matter, each of the four outputs have access to both satellites.

Sorry for the confusion. I not after the skew setting - which as you say is around 120. I'm talking about using the back of the skew plate as a flat surface for my compass app on my iPhone to find the correct azimuth. When I have tried standing in different positions and eyeball how the dish is pointed I'm not sure I am pointing the dish correctly.

Due to the dish being skewed, I'm not really sure that will help much, except to give a starting point from which you will have to pan the dish in very small increments (moving the LNB head no more than a quarter inch at a time)and pausing between moves, first the left side of your mark, and then on the right side of your mark. Make sure to go well past your starting point on either side. It has been my experience that if the mast is plumb the elevation mark on the dish pretty much spot on, enough so you should hit the satellite and may only have to make extremely minor adjustments to the elevation, if at all.

My big concern is that you really can't do it very well with the receiver and TV inside the house (way too many trips in and out of the house). It would be much better and more efficient with the receiver and a small TV (if you have one or can borrow one) outside at the dish where you can see the signal level.

Doesn't matter, each of the four outputs have access to both satellites.

Due to the dish being skewed, I'm not really sure that will help much, except to give a starting point from which you will have to pan the dish in very small increments (moving the LNB head no more than a quarter inch at a time)and pausing between moves, first the left side of your mark, and then on the right side of your mark. Make sure to go well past your starting point on either side. It has been my experience that if the mast is plumb the elevation mark on the dish pretty much spot on, enough so you should hit the satellite and may only have to make extremely minor adjustments to the elevation, if at all.

My big concern is that you really can't do it very well with the receiver and TV inside the house (way too many trips in and out of the house). It would be much better and more efficient with the receiver and a small TV (if you have one or can borrow one) outside at the dish where you can see the signal level.
When I did the installation years ago back in PA I did have a small TV which did help. No one around here has a small one. So yes, I've walked at least 2 miles today going in and out of the house. I've been doing this since 9am.

When I did the installation years ago back in PA I did have a small TV which did help. No one around here has a small one. So yes, I've walked at least 2 miles today going in and out of the house. I've been doing this since 9am.
Yikes! That is a lot of exercise! Is there a thrift/used/Goodwill store near you? You might be able to pick one up cheap. Certainly would be a possible plan.

I'm talking about using the back of the skew plate as a flat surface for my compass app on my iPhone to find the correct azimuth.
The compass on the iPhone isn't accurate enough to warrant that kind of mechanical connection. Azimuth is something that you can only get from a signal level reading and the compass is used only to eyeball where that should be.

Yikes! That is a lot of exercise! Is there a thrift/used/Goodwill store near you? You might be able to pick one up cheap. Certainly would be a possible plan.
After years of trudging from the dish to inside the house to align, I've learned to use Google Meet on my phone and a laptop. (Any video-chat function should work equally well.) I aim the laptop at the TV screen showing signal strength, allowing me to see the screen on my phone while I'm adjusting the dish. There is, of course, a second or so of delay, but once you get used to that, it's a lot easier than trudging back and forth or, alternatively, bringing a power cord, the receiver and a small TV out to the dish. My Shaw dish is affixed to a concrete block. It gets out of alignment fairly regularly, but there seems no point in a permanent installation since it may only be useful for a few more months. (I am relieved to read that most of the stations being lost in the first round of changes this year are not ones I care about.)

To all: I finally got a signal and picture. Strength is peaking around 87. I'll try to improve that tomorrow. But for now I need to be sure I can record Murdoch Mysteries tonight for the wife. I do have a different problem. The sound is periodically kicking out but when I change the channel and come back the sound returns.
After years of trudging from the dish to inside the house to align, I've learned to use Google Meet on my phone and a laptop. (Any video-chat function should work equally well.) I aim the laptop at the TV screen showing signal strength, allowing me to see the screen on my phone while I'm adjusting the dish. There is, of course, a second or so of delay, but once you get used to that, it's a lot easier than trudging back and forth or, alternatively, bringing a power cord, the receiver and a small TV out to the dish. My Shaw dish is affixed to a concrete block. It gets out of alignment fairly regularly, but there seems no point in a permanent installation since it may only be useful for a few more months. (I am relieved to read that most of the stations being lost in the first round of changes this year are not ones I care about.)
This is a simple but brilliant solution.

Reactions: Foxbat
To all: I finally got a signal and picture. Strength is peaking around 87. I'll try to improve that tomorrow. But for now I need to be sure I can record Murdoch Mysteries tonight for the wife. I do have a different problem. The sound is periodically kicking out but when I change the channel and come back the sound returns.
Excellent! Glad you finally got it.

As for the sound problem, I'd check the HDMI cable, re-seat it, or try a different cable.

Two final things to add. I purchased an 830 receiver since the 630 receiver is no longer supposed to work after the current Anik satellite fails. I have a great signal and picture here in RI. Also, I discovered that the sound failure only happened when I checked signal strength under the options menu and stayed on the same channel. All I had to do was change stations afterward. Apparently, this is 'supposed' to happen.

Reactions: Keith Brannen