LNB conversion successful!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

magnigyro

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
I need linear lnbs for my FTA farm...:)
Looking at flea market, many cheap circular ones, :mad: no good....

or... may be?

2 days surfing internet... Will this be what you call hackware?:confused: I found a method to convert one circular lnb to linear.

This is a LNB Sharp freq: 10500, you must completely disassemble it. The purpose is looking for a edge inside wall, which must be completely removed of the lnb tunnel.

I put the lnb on the winegard antenna (normal place without skew);)

Set up lnb type Standard freq 10500. (manual typing)
Q73 on 74W ONN, sport feed and another ONN with Q:40:rolleyes:
Q100 (yes!) on aztecas on 93W. (No skew!):eek:

Wooow....Is this a dream?:up

Attachments

• housingoff.JPG
    housingoff.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 599
  • coveroff.JPG
    coveroff.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 517
  • pcboff.JPG
    pcboff.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 510
  • wguide.JPG
    wguide.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 632
  • winegard.JPG
    winegard.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 470
  • 74Wfeed.JPG
    74Wfeed.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 467
  • 100cm.JPG
    100cm.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 407
Yes, we have another member who likes to promote that idea.
But he starts with DirecTV and Dish Network LNBs, and even moves the LO down from 11250
Frankly, I have more interesting things to do, especially when cheap LNBs sell for $5 to $10.
And some of the ones off SuperDishes which require no mods, are free.

BUT, I must congratulate you on finding LNBs with a relatively close LO of 10500!
That brings the entire idea into a new light!
Those would go well with a dish which has a skewing mechanism in its mount.
Congratulations.

So, where did you find these Sharp LNBs, and what did they cost?
I"m still sticking with the ready-made, but am nonetheless curious. - :up

But he starts with DirecTV and Dish Network LNBs, and even moves the LO down from 11250
Frankly, I have more interesting things to do, especially when cheap LNBs sell for $5 to $10.
And some of the ones off SuperDishes which require no mods, are free.

BUT, I must congratulate you on finding LNBs with a relatively close LO of 10500!
That brings the entire idea into a new light!
Those would go well with a dish which has a skewing mechanism in its mount.
Congratulations.

So, where did you find these Sharp LNBs, and what did they cost?
I"m still sticking with the ready-made, but am nonetheless curious. - :up

Flea market, 50 cents, or less by bunch!

Good for me because I have several dishes 33" for circular lnb montage.

Tell me why functions without skew?:confused:

Anole, could you please point me to information posted by the person who has converted 11250 circular Dish to liear lnbs? I would like to try conversion and have hacksaw and several yard sale 112500s Thank you!

Go to Advanced Search
Search only the FTA department
User name: Sidha
Key word: DRO

The first two threads contain the info you are looking for.
Sid's apparently had some good success.
Oddly, he did not start either thread.

Just thinking about your words Anole, I dont like to promote nothing...I dont sell anything, nor manufacturig sharp lnbs...

Just Im very happy because discover something good, how carry circular stuff to FTA. And I want to share my finding with satellite guys it is all!

And it is not an idea...it is real! I prove it in practice!:up

Regards...

Just thinking about your words Anole, I dont like to promote nothing...I dont sell anything, nor manufacturig sharp lnbs...

Just Im very happy because discover something good, how carry circular stuff to FTA. And I want to share my finding with satellite guys it is all!

And it is not an idea...it is real! I prove it in practice!:up

Regards...

Magnigryo;

Good Work, and a clever way to recycle those old lnb's!

I don't think Anole was trying to kick sand in your face, you see we all get a little surly as middle age sets in....;);)

Magnigryo;

Good Work, and a clever way to recycle those old lnb's!

I don't think Anole was trying to kick sand in your face, you see we all get a little surly as middle age sets in....;);)

Thanks Cadsulfide, I have another project in mind spinning: dish IRD to Pansat conversion...:rolleyes:

I know.... real FTA boxes may be are not too expensive, but I like to see if is that possible....;)

Flea market, 50 cents, or less by bunch!

Good for me because I have several dishes 33" for circular lnb montage.

Tell me why functions without skew?:confused:

50/ 50 chance and you got lucky; it just happened to coincide with the polarity you needed. I've had that happen, but still try to skew the LNB by turning the entire dish, slightly. Also, I've had to reverse 12 and 18 volt control settings for the H/V switching, as some LNBF's are opposite to the standard. I ran across that anomaly only once when converting various circular Ka DSS LNBF's to linear Ku.

Thanks Anole and Magnigyro! I'll read the threads you provided.

If this kind of thing interests you, I still have the detailed photos that I took to illustrate the conversion process. Most or all of the pic links in the old thread have expired. There was some interest in this project again, last year, almost enough to start another active thread. When this all started, I was assisting charredpc with his experiments, and he also posted his results and pics. I tried to find him and tell him about the renewed interest to no avail.

Last edited:
Thanks Cadsulfide, I have another project in mind spinning: dish IRD to Pansat conversion...:rolleyes:

I know.... real FTA boxes may be are not too expensive, but I like to see if is that possible....;)

There are files out there for jtagging a Hughes Direct reciever into a Pansat clone, PM me I'll send them to you.

Good to see an interest for hands-on projects whenever it appears. The FTA hobby projects are always fun to observe, and that makes coming here even more of a joy. This is interactive TV the way it should be. And on this I have some thoughts...

The big problem with FTA is making oneself a victim to an ever growing amount of used equipment for very little or nothing, to the point of hoarding. These orphaned goodies are mostly discarded but functional with potential for new and interesting projects. Sure, we can always buy new or used parts, even preassembled systems, to save time when building our FTA system. But I prefer to only buy what I must in a throw-away society and hard times. This affects the retail sector, and that's natural; growth on another level always changes the balance and flow, for the better, we hope. The double-plus for me is recycling and creating; basically the making of functional art from garbage. One idea leads to another, and journey from concept to the real world makes the trip a heck of a lot more interesting than taking that well worn path to the local FTA supply store.

Buying cheap and easy to find equipment and saving all the time spent on eccentric projects is certainly not something I would promote. But people have their perceived and established limitations from and within their range of experiences. Some projects are just too intimidating. Not just anyone will enjoy playing at component level in foreign territory where it's easy to make destructive errors and become frustrated. Playing with sensitive electronics inside the hidden world within an exposed LNBF is amazing just to see. The shiny gold plated PC board with its intricate maze of precision tuned sections and tiny exotic components is a skilled work of art by itself. That's the surface of the component level where anyone can rearrange and create a mess or something different. Whatever, just marvel and enjoy the techno-art in the process. It's all about having fun and doing something new while exploring and stretching one's own potential limits, with nothing to lose but time. My TV is starved for quality time of mine. The more active we are means less time spent being passive to watching TV. But let's not get too crazy outside that box or the hobby might consume itself by excessive modification. It is, afterall, about receiving, viewing and hearing the results - the fruit of our labors.

I'm also an artist, and by arranging color upon a surface, I can express and develop my ideas. I could have spent the time doing more interesting things, by just snapping perfect pictures and creating an album, rather than drawing for hours an almost identical image of a still-life model, to create a collection over the years. I could carry that logic to creating one's family too. Save time: adopt. However, I doubt many would choose that option unless it was forced. What I'm really promoting by example, is self-sufficiency and fun. How to think around the conventional and arrive at the destination with new experiences in the mindbox. Use it or lose it. As to raw materials of our environment: reuse it or we all lose it. FTA can set some good examples in many ways. If only we could get it more mainstream and alive in the eyes of the many who don't have a clue. We need an invigorating PR campaign and a growing alternate programming base. I'm not sure whether the former or the latter should lead the parade.

Will I share other ideas and projects in development to the FTA community? Well, maybe, but, only if people have the time or show an uncommon interest; perhaps the weakness to be distracted? :) Oh well, I've spent enough time on these thoughts; time to waste what's left on my many other projects of distraction in my 25 hour day.

-sidha

PS: Since we are on the subject of modifications...
The time has finally arrived; DN has secured their programming. The pirates are now lost without a paddle and are naturally drifting our direction. So, we had better be nice during their enlightenment and conversion to the real thing: REAL FTA. Get REAL, we own the root term 'FTA' by default, not by comparison or qualification. It's time to take it back; reclaim our REAL property and unblemished identity! They have some new things to learn [besides spelling] and we can help. Here's some of the current gossip I've heard echoing within their now dark and sad domain.

Is this the end?

Are Pansats officially done?....if and what should I do?.....any recomendations would be most appreciated as I am not sure as what is best to do right now.

all you can do is Waite bro,sub or get the right dish like i do and put it on 123w

What is this real dish and 123w you are talking about. Sounds intresting.

its a 33inc dish and 123w is a true fta sat sig theres no bin needed to view the channles

so all the channles on 123w or viewable still and always will be

Besides the dish, you will need a linear LNB.

would like to know what is a linear lnb and what channels do you get on true fta thanks

Basically, there are 2 different signals from the sats, circular like for DN and linear for True FTA sats. Do some reading

Last edited:
Well, I got a Cal Amp DSS unit p/n 150517 lot no. 04374 and went to work. Could not remove plastic cap over feedhorn. Used hammer and got central plastic part off. Removed rubber seal and back cover. Tried to remove the 5 small screws holding plate covering pc board, but could only get one out! (Using pliers as I don't have miniature hex nut driver). Those screws are seemingly tamper proof! So, guess I'll break down and buy a couple 0.3 standard 10750s. Got to admire the skill and perseverance of those who have converted DSS to FSS lnbfs.

. . . I don't have miniature hex nut driver).
Those screws are seemingly tamper proof!

Good tools have a value way beyond their cost. - :up
Over the years, I've picked up little torx drivers in terribly small sizes, used for taking apart hard drives.
I don't have any expectations of making them work either, but looking inside is still worthwhile! -- :cool:

Well, I got a Cal Amp DSS unit p/n 150517 lot no. 04374 and went to work. Could not remove plastic cap over feedhorn. Used hammer and got central plastic part off. Removed rubber seal and back cover. Tried to remove the 5 small screws holding plate covering pc board, but could only get one out! (Using pliers as I don't have miniature hex nut driver). Those screws are seemingly tamper proof! So, guess I'll break down and buy a couple 0.3 standard 10750s. Got to admire the skill and perseverance of those who have converted DSS to FSS lnbfs.

A few pictures of your effort would be priceless! :) You were doing fine, if this was the donor unit for the DRO ceramic material. Usually the hammer is the terminator, only called for after all else has failed. That you began with the hammer shows fearless ingenuity.

-sidha

can you specifcy details

Can you specify the details how you exactly made that lnb work. Is there certain instructions to follow to conver the circular lnb to linear? Let us know I have a few of those circular type that maybe I can convert.

Can you specify the details how you exactly made that lnb work. Is there certain instructions to follow to conver the circular lnb to linear? Let us know I have a few of those circular type that maybe I can convert.

See post #5 in this thread for instructions to locate the archived info. Once you have read it over and if you decide to give it a try, I can provide the pictures that are now missing from my posts, if necessary. Only two modifications: The waveguide and the Dielectric Resonator Oscillator [DRO]. Some LNBF's are easier to work with than others on the waveguide mod; nothing added there, just some metal removal. Read everything we posted about the project. If you intend to use these LNBF's on Ku dishes with wider shaped surfaces or different focal/diameter ratios, expect some losses. Thus, avoid using modded units for receiving transponders that are already weak due to an undersized dish. I do recommend using them on the original dishes they came with: 18, 22 inch or whatever, because they are feed matched and fit the arm perfectly. But only to receive KU from satellites where a transponder is unusually strong in the 90's on quality when using a marginal size KU dish, standard equipment system.

Is this the ceramic puck you are refer to in your posts?
[ame]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c139/funkypc/DSSLNBArrow.jpg[/ame]
Are they all around this size? In my mind I had imagined something bigger...

That's the little devil, and they are larger when used on a C-band LNB. Now you need to add a small piece or pieces taken from another DRO. [Treat it as toxic material until proven otherwise. Do not grind to release powder into the air.] I removed a puck from another LNBF and cracked-off pieces while inside a bag. After adding a small fragment of ceramic epoxied to or near the ceramic puck, reassemble and blindscan to check the amount of frequency shift. You'll get a feel for how much material to add. I did this with the LO set for 11250 on a DSS satellite, until I modifed the feed from circular to linear, when I would blindscan using a 10750 Ku setting. I'll find my pictures and post some of them later.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts