LNB Drift Detected

Hawk88

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
USA
When I do a system info, I get a LNB Drift Detected...
0x0d, 0xa1, 129 (e-5). Anyone ever gotten this??

How LNB drift affects the system is a crap shoot. I've seen cases of a -10 drift and it works fine, then I've seen others where it's -4 and causing signal loss. If it begins causing trouble with pixelation or signal drop-outs on either locals or HD programming (that's what's on 129), then you should call for service. Until then, it's no biggie. But I would look for it to cause trouble eventually. Any time I go on a service call and I see an LNB drifting AT ALL, I replace it. It's just a matter of time before it craps out all together.

How LNB drift affects the system is a crap shoot. I've seen cases of a -10 drift and it works fine, then I've seen others where it's -4 and causing signal loss. If it begins causing trouble with pixelation or signal drop-outs on either locals or HD programming (that's what's on 129), then you should call for service. Until then, it's no biggie. But I would look for it to cause trouble eventually. Any time I go on a service call and I see an LNB drifting AT ALL, I replace it. It's just a matter of time before it craps out all together.

That's what we're supposed to do. The standing orders given to DNS technicians are to replace ANY LNBF with a drift of +/- 5. That's the threshold of tolerance. Anything less is not technically an issue, and won't show up on the system info screen. It shows up at +/- 5 because that's when it's a red flag to be replaced. Call Dish and have a trouble call set up. They'll do it.

Actually, we wont replace it until -8 or +8 if its pro plus.

Amazing the disconnect between the call center and us technicians. Call center doesn't think it's a big enough issue to send us out until it's virtually non-functional. We've been told we MUST replace ANY LNBF that is +/-5 drift. We don't and the QAS comes out to inspect that TC, we fail. No ifs ands or buts.

It was stated in Dish document about a drift +/- 5 MHz max. We have a few threads and in one Scott (?) posted the PDF.

Yep. I still have the DishNotes somewhere we were given in the ATM. Why the call center is refusing to build a trouble call for something legitimate like this is beyond me. Especially with all the bogus trouble calls they build for all manner of stupid crap. Like the guy who went into soft disconnect due to non payment, and he called up playing dumb "why is my system not working?" So, the CSR builds a trouble call, for us to come out and tell him to pay his bill! Or the CSR who built a trouble call for us to find out why the customer's HBO wasn't working. Guess what? HE DIDN'T SUBSCRIBE. Instead of selling him the HBO package, they build a trouble call. :rolleyes: The whole point of the super diagnostics in the system info screen was to catch problems like LNBF drift BEFORE they caused service interruptions. No, they just ignore it until it breaks, like usual.

And yes, I AM a bit bitter. :D

Well I have had pixelization and dropout for a long time. Long before the system detected the LNB drift. I have had techs out before for this and they said it was a software issue. Now here is my dillemma. I originally was under a lease. I have since replaced replaced all my leased recievers with ones that I own. Now the dish is theirs, so how is that going to work. Do I need to sign up for the dish advantage service and then in a couple of weeks put in the call?

I had a service call yesterday for "the drift" with red x on 129 but still able to get all channels. the tech checked all connections readjusted and it was still there. then he replaced the lnb, I still had "the drift" -7 and red x on 129. He left not really knowing what the problem was, vowing to call Dish. I am still not losing any signals while I'm watching but my log says that I lose signal on tuner 1 and 2 about 6-15 times a day. I also get the same log and drift on my 522. anybody got any ideas

I had a service call yesterday for "the drift" with red x on 129 but still able to get all channels. the tech checked all connections readjusted and it was still there. then he replaced the lnb, I still had "the drift" -7 and red x on 129. He left not really knowing what the problem was, vowing to call Dish. I am still not losing any signals while I'm watching but my log says that I lose signal on tuner 1 and 2 about 6-15 times a day. I also get the same log and drift on my 522. anybody got any ideas

Yep. Even after you replace the LNBF, it will still show drift until you do a hard reset and run a check switch.

I have a 2 dish setup and he replaced the one pointing west that is for 129 I disconnected it to make sure that is the one for 129 and it is.

it was -6 when he started

If you are able to, look at the LNBF he placed on there, and see if it's "sunburned" (faded and discolored) It's possible he replaced it with an old one pulled off of another job. It may have been the only one he had, and he was hoping it was good. In any event, the drift being different after it was replaced, tells me that the one he replaced it with was also no good. You should call and have them come back out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)