Status
Please reply by conversation.

eurosport

In Dave Grohl We Trust!
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 31, 2008
North Florida
Yesterday I was trying to pull in Hispasat, over the trees here (with no luck)
I had the Pansat 2500 and small TV set up, on the table outside, connected to the extra 1.2m CM dish. On the dish was one of my "el-cheapo" ROC universal LNB's. Cheap but they work good. (usually) Suddenly while panning left and right, I hear what sounded like a 12 gauge SHOTGUN going off! :eek:
Scared the $#!^ outta me to say the least! After regaining a normal breathing pattern, I find a few pieces of black plastic shrapnel, in the holder where my cheap LNB USED to be! WTF??? I've never had anything like this happen before....:confused: I'll try to get a few pics of the carnage, when I go home for lunch today.

WOW. What a surprise that must have been. A few years back man dad went to start his truck and when he turn the key the starter the battery exploded.

Never heard of an LNB explode :yikes:shocked

Yesterday I was trying to pull in Hispasat, over the trees here (with no luck)
I had the Pansat 2500 and small TV set up, on the table outside, connected to the extra 1.2m CM dish. On the dish was one of my "el-cheapo" ROC universal LNB's. Cheap but they work good. (usually) Suddenly while panning left and right, I hear what sounded like a 12 gauge SHOTGUN going off! :eek:
Scared the $#!^ outta me to say the least! After regaining a normal breathing pattern, I find a few pieces of black plastic shrapnel, in the holder where my cheap LNB USED to be! WTF??? I've never had anything like this happen before....:confused: I'll try to get a few pics of the carnage, when I go home for lunch today.

April 1

Lordy If it wasn't April 1 I might really take him seriously but just in case did you figure out the cause of your lnbf blowing up? Do you think you locked on too a military spy satellite and they sent down a whopper transmission causing it to explode? LOL (jk)

If you are serious wow you should really check out your receiver and make sure it isn't over powering the lnbfs, before hooking it up to something else. Maybe stick a meter on it to get the line voltages and current. That sounds really wild if it is true but stranger things have happened.

I had a battery do that once..it was my fault, I was charging it and left the caps off...

I've had capacitors pop, and I had a butane lighter go bang when I had left it on my dash and the heat from the defroster somehow got it hot enough to explode. I've also has 9 volt alkaline batteries generate so much heat in my pocket that they burned me, because the coins in the same pocket had shorted across the terminals.

yeah I call bull on this ;)

Only time a LNB exploded is when it fell two stories off the roof and hit the driveway...the casing shattered off the lNB :)

Yeah, when I read the subject, I thought April fool too. If not, I don't have a clue.
Only time I ever had anything explode on me was once I was re-wiring a light fixture in the false ceiling in my basement. I was up on a ladder, and had un-twisted the wire nuts, holding one of the wires, when my wife said something like "are you sure that you flipped off the circuit breaker", and I said something like " SURE, watch", at which point I saw a cold water pipe running nearby, and touched the bare wire to the cold water pipe. Boy, talk about holding something as bright and hot as the sun in your hand...... BANG! The darn thing temporarily blinded me, melted a hole in the cold water pipe, so I was on top of a ladder holding a hot wire, being sprayed with water coming out of the hole in the pipe, not being able to see for a while.
15 years later, any time I start to work on a electrical circuit, all she has to do is look at me and I pull out my voltmeter instead of looking for a cold water pipe.

Wish we could see the replay of the guy lighting the fuse of the firecracker attached to the LNB. I'd like to blow one up too one was dead in a month no refund. Should post rant on Youtube then light an M80 for people to watch like the guys with stuff in a microwave ovens do.

I don't play with fireworks, like these guys. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRWVR7Fa8us"]YouTube- Redneck microwave explosion[/ame]

Last edited:
I had this happen to me a few years ago. Although my LNBF didn't blow-up. I was standing behind my dish trying to peak it better, when I heard a loud explosion. It startled me so that I dang near bent the reflector of the dish! I looked over and there was my friend, Ben, with a 30.06, looking up in the sky. About a minute later, this Cessna crashed in the corn field about a mile away with two suspected terrorists aboard. They managed to crawl out of the wreck before the plane burst into flames, but they were eaten by a mad cow.

The FBI couldn't confirm this as the FDA took the suspected mad cow for observations.

:eek:

RADAR

North Florida is well known for DRIVE BY's ..

or could it be he had some COKE and Mentos near by ?? LOL

truth or fiction?

... I hear what sounded like a 12 gauge SHOTGUN going off! :eek:
... I find a few pieces of black plastic shrapnel, in the holder where my cheap LNB USED to be!
Damn man, if you're gonna pull one, at least mock up some pictures to go with the story! - :D

truth:
I used to work at a hard drive manufacturing company.
At the time, they were the size of a large refrigerator, not something you could stick in your pocket. :eek:
They used little plug-in boards, which after test, were left over night in a burn-in oven, under power.
One specific type of capacitor, tantalum electrolytic, were very touchy about reverse voltage.
They would sometimes explode, burning a hole in their own board, and spraying unremovable crap onto the next board!
Noisy, too.

...15 years later, any time I start to work on a electrical circuit, all she has to do is look at me and I pull out my voltmeter ...
truth:
This reminds me of a minor traffic accident I once had, getting off a freeway off-ramp, and waiting for a car ahead to merge into traffic.
He rolled forward.
I looked over my shoulder for clearance, and took my foot off the brake.
Well, he braked again, and I bumped him lightly.
Decades later, I'm -very- cognizant this could happen again, and am -very- gun-shy of a repeat. - ;)

Last summer I noticed many honey bees attracted to the lnbf on both Ku and C band dishes. I am concerned that FTA is killing the honey bees.

April 1st....

Yup, just a good laugh for April Fool's day. And some great responses too!
SatelliteGuys is the best! :D:up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)