LNB for NASA TV?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mchomicz

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
As I've read on this forum - and also experienced first hand - reception of Dish Network free stations using a Universal LNB is unreliable. So I obtained a DirecTV LNB (single) and put that on my dish to do a test. However, I'm not sure what I should tell the receiver about the LNB. I'm using a Coolsat Pro 4000 and my options for LNB are as follows:

1. LNB Type:
a. Universal
b. OCS
c. Single

2 LNB Freq: many options including custom to type in by myself. Pre-defined options are different for different LNB types.

Which LNB Type should I be using for this DirecTV LNB and what should the LNB Frequency to be set to?

The LNB has following markings:

12.2-12.7 MHz
950-1450 MHz

Thank you,
Michael

2/ Usually its the L.O. 11250 that is manually entered for a DBS LNB.

But I don't have the Coolsat yet.

On the Fortec its

Standard

Then the above L.O. 11250 can be entered manually.

PSB said:
Then the above L.O. 11250 can be entered manually.

Sorry for being dense - but I don't understand what you mean. The receiver expects two numbers

LNB Freq XX.XXX / YY.YYY

If I understand correctly - for the first set I type in 11.250. How about the second set? What should I replace my Ys with?

LNB Freq 11.250 / YY.YYY

Thank you,
Michael

Now I see what you were telling me all along! I was only supposed to have ONE SINGLE number - not two numbers. But I was selecting the wrong LNB type (was using OCS instead of single) - so the receiver was asking me for two sets. Sorry about that... And thank you!

Michael

on the coolsat it should be
Single
11250 for LO

set your diseqc if needed....on mine I have a DBS LNB clamped next to the KU band so in my setup 1.0 diseqc port 1 is KU and port 2 is DBS :)

If you do it this way, you will have to tweak your settings as the DBS won't be at 119 (if its next to the KU band)

Thanks for the tips. Right now that's the only LNB I have on the dish just to see if I can get NASA TV with this one (I can’t with my Universal LNB). I do not have a dual LNB holder and I'm REAL bad with fabricating things...

I did set LNB type to single and Freq. to 11.250 however I seem to only be getting half of the transponders right now (Vertical or Horizontal polarization - for get which ones I'm getting) so from Echostar 7 I'm getting a ton of radio channels but no TV channels - so no NASA TV. I am getting very good signal from those transponders that do come in. But 0% from those that do not.

Would this be related to the Coolsat not selecting the right polarization on the LNB? Is there any other setting I need to change to tell the Coolsat that it needs to be using Circular polarization (left and right) instead of Vertical and Horizontal? Say - change something in the LNB power setting? Or some other setting?

Thank you,
Michael

Well - I must have been doing something screwy... But I finally got NASA channel to work. I set my LNB as follows:

LNB Power: ON
LNB Type: Single
LNB Freq: 11.250
22KHz: 0N (no clue if it does anything for the DirecTV LNB)
DiSEqC Switch: OFF (since I don’t' have one)

NASA TV now comes loud and clear from Echostar 7.

And then just to prove to myself that begging ppl in my are for an unwanted DirecTV dish was worth the effort - I swapped the LNB for my Universal Invacom, switched LNB settings accordingly, and sure enough - NASA channel went away ;-)

Thanks a ton for your help!
Michael

mchomicz said:
Well - I must have been doing something screwy... But I finally got NASA channel to work. I set my LNB as follows:

LNB Power: ON
LNB Type: Single
LNB Freq: 11.250
22KHz: 0N (no clue if it does anything for the DirecTV LNB)
DiSEqC Switch: OFF (since I don’t' have one)
turn off the 22k when using a DBS LNBF.
NASA TV now comes loud and clear from Echostar 7.
there should be a few more...Angel One and Dish 101
And then just to prove to myself that begging ppl in my are for an unwanted DirecTV dish was worth the effort - I swapped the LNB for my Universal Invacom, switched LNB settings accordingly, and sure enough - NASA channel went away ;-)

Thanks a ton for your help!
Michael
I don't think the Universal goes that high

mchomicz said:
Thanks for the tips. Right now that's the only LNB I have on the dish just to see if I can get NASA TV with this one (I can’t with my Universal LNB). I do not have a dual LNB holder and I'm REAL bad with fabricating things...

I did set LNB type to single and Freq. to 11.250 however I seem to only be getting half of the transponders right now (Vertical or Horizontal polarization - for get which ones I'm getting) so from Echostar 7 I'm getting a ton of radio channels but no TV channels - so no NASA TV. I am getting very good signal from those transponders that do come in. But 0% from those that do not.

Would this be related to the Coolsat not selecting the right polarization on the LNB? Is there any other setting I need to change to tell the Coolsat that it needs to be using Circular polarization (left and right) instead of Vertical and Horizontal? Say - change something in the LNB power setting? Or some other setting?

Thank you,
Michael

Did you blind scan once you hooked it up? As long as its set to "Single" and 11250, you should be fine. On 119 1,3,5,7,9 are Spotbeams so if you're not in the area you get squat.
There are 21 DIsh TP's there and I get 16...the spotbeams are out of my area :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)