LNB for this Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Gray1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
St. Louis, Missouri
A local guy has posted pictures of these dishes. He says they are 36" across. They have Circular LNB's. (Or so he says) Has anyone ever seen an LNB that is Linear that will fit this style dish?

Thanks

Attachments

• SATELLITE RELATED PHOTOS 014.jpg
    SATELLITE RELATED PHOTOS 014.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 156
yep:

Yes, kStuart did a nice review of one, some time back.
However.... here's the rub:
- for circular, you don't need to skew the LNB
- so, the dish doesn't skew
- and that linear LNB above cannot be skewed.
SO, you either need to build the secret boat-seat swivel mod to skew the dish,
... OR, install an LNB mount that'll take a regular LNB by the neck.
I think Sadoun sells some, and the other Gold Sponsors may, too.

Or, build your own, something like done here in this old thread with a Phase III dish.

edit:
take a look at the back side of the dishes.
are they stamped metal, or molded commercial dishes?
if they look something like DirecTV dishes from Mexico (posted by MexSunny)... then I want one! :)

edit again:
Oh, that bent LNB arm is a clue... but I don't know what brand it represents... :(

One last time:
36" ? He may be a fisherman! :) You should take your own tape measure and see. ;)

Thanks for the reminder Anole. I knew about the skew, but did not think about it. I called the guy and he is gonna check and e-mail me back. He also said he had a couple Primestars. ;)
I'm not that good at IDn dishes but I have never seen one with a bent LNB arm. He is about 50 miles away. I might just go out there this weekend.

Thanks
allen

Get him to send you pictures of:
- these dishes with a yardstick laying across 'em - ;)
- the back side of these dishes, showing the rear to be molded or stamped
- the mount, which may show some heavy duty hardware, elevation screws, etc.
- whatever Primestar dishes he has, with yardstick, front/back, etc.

Ya didn't say if he wanted money or just wanted to find 'em a new home.
If they are as advertized, and the Primestars are ROUND, or 84e elliptical, and you can use them... then $10 each wouldn't be bad.

Of course, a 1.2 meter (4') Primestar round, would be a supreme find. - :cool:
I've got a DirecWay elliptical, and some smaller Hughes ellipticals, and while useful for experiments, they're not quite prime beef.
Of course here, with no rain, I am happier with smaller dishes, than someone in a more rainy area.
So, use your best judgment. - :up

Heed the green one, bigger is ALWAYS (almost always) better. If they are free or nearly so, you can fabricate a LNB mount yourself, half the fun of FTA is subverting an old dish to a new use. It can be fancy & machined, or a block of wood and duct tape as pioneered by Iceberg, or modified storebought like some of mine. Anole will remember the thread, Linuxman was using cheap conduit clamps and allthread to great success. If the dishes have a decent mount, they are worth having just for the mount.

It looks like a dead end. Their is no way to set the skew. He wants 50 buck a piece for them.
The Primestars turned out to be Directwav missing the LNB arms. Oh well

opinion:

- DirecWay with no LNB arm? No thanks.
- 36" recycled dish for $50? Want to know what he's smokin'!

However, if you were to get one of the 36's for $10, then the home-made LNB holder I linked above absolutely will give you the ability to skew any regular LNB. :cool:
See the pictures I posted in that thread, using the Phase III dish.

Well, maybe next time! At least we learned a lot.
- some folks are greedy - :rant:
- and stupid - :eek:
- but we're still havin' a good time, here ! - :D

Last edited:
From time to time, there are still sellers on fleabay trying to get $500 for a BUD. I'll travel to their place and remove it if they pay me $500! :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.