LNB Problems

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

duskydog

Original poster
Aug 25, 2007
I have a Dish 1000, with a VIP622 and standard definition receivers. I fail to receive the local channels on sat 129 on the standard receiver. Sometimes it works fine. Then out of no where I loose the locals. I run the switch checks and it sez satellite 129 3B (even) is bad. Other times it is fine. I run the check using the VIP 622 an it sez LNB drift detected [0x0e,0xa2,129(e-5)]. It apperas to happen when the sun hits the dish.(it may just be my imagination regarding the sun). Tis has been going on for some time.
At first I thought it may be due to my having a a legacy standard def receiver so I purchased a DishPro adapter, but I continue to get the same results.
What is the problem.

the drift is problem. call dish make appointment, or you can buy your own LNB. if dish comes out they can also see if you have line of sight problem or maybe dish needs a little bit tweaking

You do not need that Dp adapter for the legacy receiver. The DPP twin you have that is bad has built in legacy support.

The drift is only -5, which is within operational parameters. DISH won't schedule a service call for that.

On the other hand, if this always happens in the early afternoon (say, 12p-5p your time), then the sun is the problem, and the LNB will need to be replaced.

The drift is only -5, which is within operational parameters. DISH won't schedule a service call for that.

On the other hand, if this always happens in the early afternoon (say, 12p-5p your time), then the sun is the problem, and the LNB will need to be replaced.

No, -5 is the threshold. We WILL come out for that. Call and let them know you have LNBF drift, and they will send out a tech to replace it.

well

No, -5 is the threshold. We WILL come out for that. Call and let them know you have LNBF drift, and they will send out a tech to replace it.
well, we schedule a drift call base on the vaules you give us.. -5... not the ticket for a free drift servic call. Its a higher a little higher than that but I don't hink I am aloud to disclose that a bit much information,
:hatsoff: I would like to be of further assistance but the rats are listening... :rolleyes:

CSR told me the threshold is 7. It has been posted elsewhere.

I would think that the loss of signal problem might trump the lnb drift reading - call Dish.

well, we schedule a drift call base on the vaules you give us.. -5... not the ticket for a free drift servic call. Its a higher a little higher than that but I don't hink I am aloud to disclose that a bit much information,
:hatsoff: I would like to be of further assistance but the rats are listening... :rolleyes:

Oh, I understand about the rodent problem here. :D However, the Dishnotes we were given said we were to replace any LNBF with drift at or greater then +/- 5. That's the official standing orders for us techs. Not sure what the call center's rules are. Incidently, the system info screen will only show drift if it's out of tolerance. That being +/- 5.

You are wrong, unfortunately. TSRs are not to replace LNBFs for drift values with an absolute value of 5.

Since you say "we", you must be an employee. I'm further guessing you are a DNSC employee, because you seem to believe that value will get a LNBF service call built, and I know field techs do replace LNBFs sometimes at that value.

I do find it interesting that DNSC gets different replacement values than CSC, but that might have to do with the TSRs not being on-site to make a judgment call. BTW, I have a DP dual that has had a drift value between -5 and -6 for a year now, with no issues.

Last edited:
There is LNB Drift Corrective Software in the newer receivers. It has not yet made it out to all the receivers.

So, if you have other "standard" receivers, tell the CSR your 622 says there is drift detected and it does not show signal loss, but your other receivers are losing locals.

LNB drift gets worse when the LNB heats up from the sun and drifts back when it gets cool at night. Its gets worse as time goes on heating and cooling.

Last edited:
You are wrong, unfortunately. TSRs are not to replace LNBFs for drift values with an absolute value of 5.

Since you say "we", you must be an employee. I'm further guessing you are a DNSC employee, because you seem to believe that value will get a LNBF service call built, and I know field techs do replace LNBFs sometimes at that value.

Yes, I am.

I do find it interesting that DNSC gets different replacement values than CSC, but that might have to do with the TSRs not being on-site to make a judgment call. BTW, I have a DP dual that has had a drift value between -5 and -6 for a year now, with no issues.

We're not only "allowed" to change out LNBFs that have a value of +/- 5, we're EXPECTED to. If the LNBF is drifting +/- 5 and the QAS goes out to check that job, we fail. No ifs, ands, or buts. That's a mandate from corporate for DNSC techs.
As far as your particular case goes, you might not see a problem yet. However, that's not the normal situation. In most cases, drift at or above +/- 5 is causing or is part of the problem. This risk of a repeat TC is too great for us to leave an obviously defective, and failing LNBF in service. If it's drifting, it will get worse, and it's a matter of time before it causes a service interruption.

From technical standpoint, the LOF trimmer (capacitor) built as ceramic disk with a screw in RF cover; other part of the capacitor is a pad on PCB;
so any thermal or mechanical deformations of the RF can and/or PCB will change LOF ie produce 'drift' of the frequency.
It was cheap build, so we pay for that now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts