LNB Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Larobpra

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
North of "Upstate NY"
Got a new system yesterday- Mercury II receiver with a 90cm Fortec Star dish and Fortec Star universal single LNBF. Played with the receiver last nght and got it going. Been out in the cold today trying to tune in the new dish.
Aimed for G18, using the IV200 (as I am more familiar with it) tuned to a strong TP, couldn't get anything. So I put old faithful (the 90cm ChannelMaster) back up, set to the marks and bang, it's right there. Then I hook the FS LNB to the CM dish and still nothing. I guess my question is, should the FS work on the CM dish without modification? It fits right in the holder good and I tried moving it aroud near the holder to catch a signal. The Hughes LNB will catch signal in quite an area around the holder.. I am heading back out to see if I can tune in the FS dish with the CM LNB. Will keep you posted.

It should probably get a signal, at the very least.

However, you say your Fortec LNB is Universal?
Did you change the LO frequency to accommodate it?
Your Channel Master LNB is undoubtedly Standard.

It should probably get a signal, at the very least.

However, you say your Fortec LNB is Universal?
Did you change the LO frequency to accommodate it?
Your Channel Master LNB is undoubtedly Standard.

No, the CM is universal as well - it's not the original, just the feedhorn. So I shouldn't have to change settings, should I? It's already set for universal - 9750/10600.

Thats what I was thinking too. The LO of the CM is 10750 the Fortec universal is 11250. I would also say that a channel master 90cm dish has more gain then the Fortec does.

I was able to get signal with the CM LNB on the FS dish with little trouble or time. Strength and quality were about the same as with the CM dish.

Have you tried a blind scan with the FS LNB? May be that the frequency is slightly different between the two so that FS LNB doesn't find a signal at the frequency the CM LNB does.

Have you tried a blind scan with the FS LNB? May be that the frequency is slightly different between the two so that FS LNB doesn't find a signal at the frequency the CM LNB does.
With Anole's and tvropro's advice, I changed settings, caught a live TP and then did a blind scan. And as you have noted, the frequencies scanned in different.

I did discover that both LNBs will work with both dishes. Still learning and I suppose I'll never know it all about FTA.

Thanks everyone for your help!

This "most wonderful time of the year" (as the song says) isn't exactly the "most wonderful time of the year" to be FTAing in this neck of the woods! I'm just thankful I live above the snow belt. The ground is bare here but an hour south they're measuring the lake effect snow in feet already!

3rd party Universal, you say?

No, the CM is universal as well - it's not the original, just the feedhorn.
It's already set for universal - 9750/10600.
Well, we're glad you got it going. :up
I guess the slight frequency drift was the culprit.
That can happen, and living in the biting cold, you should probably be even more cognizant of that that many of us.

But, now I have a question...
I've been wracking my brain to think where you could have gotten a Universal LNB that'd bolt to the original Channel Master feedhorn?

All I can think of is maybe an Invacom; I've seen some of those around.
SNF-031, TWF-031 are single and twin output respectively, in Universal.
I saw someone on eBay selling the TWF a while back for a cheap price, and forgot to get some.

The other choices are: the Hughes but it's Standard, and the Dish Network FSS from a 105° dish, but it's bandstacked.
So, inquiring minds want to know. :D

Well, we're glad you got it going. :up
I guess the slight frequency drift was the culprit.
That can happen, and living in the biting cold, you should probably be even more cognizant of that than many of us.

But, now I have a question...
I've been wracking my brain to think where you could have gotten a Universal LNB that'd bolt to the original Channel Master feedhorn?

The other choices are: the Hughes but it's Standard, and the Dish Network FSS from a 105° dish, but it's bandstacked.
So, inquiring minds want to know. :D
It's a Hughes, but it's been running great on universal setting, so I just figured that's what it was.
And this is my first winter as an FTA-er so I'm still learning the cold weather stuff. I got to clear snow off the dish to get signal back back in October!:eek:

All I can think of is maybe an Invacom; I've seen some of those around.
SNF-031, TWF-031 are single and twin output respectively, in Universal.
I saw someone on eBay selling the TWF a while back for a cheap price, and forgot to get some.
He still has some SNF's...they're on eBay now. I think he ran out of the duals...

Thanks, AC. - :up
I think the seller raised his prices, though.
Probably still selling well.

Well, every time I get the urge for the TWF's, I remember the Dish 105°'s, and save my money. - :cool:
No, not the same, but still pretty good.

I'd have thought you'd weigh in on the Hughes LNBs.
Aren't you the major east coast warehouse for 'em? :eek:
Thought those were all Standard / 10750 LO.
Did they ever ship Universals ?

Thanks, AC. - :up
I think the seller raised his prices, though.
Probably still selling well.

Well, every time I get the urge for the TWF's, I remember the Dish 105°'s, and save my money. - :cool:
No, not the same, but still pretty good.

I'd have thought you'd weigh in on the Hughes LNBs.
Aren't you the major east coast warehouse for 'em? :eek:
Thought those were all Standard / 10750 LO.
Did they ever ship Universals ?
Yea looks like Scott sold what he had...his price was $26.95 shipped and he sold a few for $21.95. The Hughes LNB's are great for a data stable LNB. They never had any universals as they didn't market DirecPC in Europe that I know of...all I have ever seen were standards. And yep I still got a bunch of them, although I've sold several to people here on the forum lately.

thanx

The Hughes LNB's are great for a data stable LNB.
I still got a bunch of them, although I've sold several to people here on the forum lately.
And even though I didn't buy any, let me thank you for helping out the fine members, here! - :up
Love your dish-farm pictures, too! - :cool:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)