LNB Skew positioning (1 Viewer)

eddiejohnson

Jan 11, 2010
UK
I have come to this forum via Dishpointer.com where I have found great advice for installing my own satellite dish and setup.
It includes all the positioning info I needed,.........except it led me astray! In the 'mouseover' info on LNB skew , it advises an anti-clockwise movement of the LNB "when standing behind the dish".
This I found to be totally wrong.
I spent several hours trying to get more than 40% signal from the dish and almost gave up after re-checking and re-checking all the connections and cables.
My final check was the LNB skew, which I had set according to the Dishpointer note anticlockwise.......
When I reversed this advice and turned the LNB anticlockwise from behind the LNB, not the dish I eventually got lift-off! and immediately got at least 90% signal strength.

I have written to Dishpointer and asked about this error but I have yet to receive a comment other than asking where I was situated.

Has anyone else had this similar experience?

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
Eddie,

as explained to you in my email, if you look down south and the satellite is to the left of south then you rotate the lnb anti-clockwise when standing behind the dish. This is exactly how it's written on DishPointer.com.

If you had compared the DishPointer results with other calculations you'd see the results are correct. The fact that, in your particular case, you had to rotate the lnb by a different amount could have many reasons - maybe the lnb has an offset (e.g. Sky Lnbs), maybe the satellite you are looking for has an offset (e.g. Astra satellites), or there is a misconception of the terms behind and in-front of the dish.

Hope this helps for your understanding. Nevertheless, congratulations for managing to setup your dish.

eddiejohnson

Jan 11, 2010
UK
Thank you for your reply.
However,....the LNB I used came with the kit from screwfix and it definitely needed a clockwise rotation by 12.5 deg.
I was certainly pointing to the ASTRA2 (28E) but I haven't read anything anywhere about it "having an offset".

However, I have to report now that I have since changed the original single LNB for a dual universal (for yet another receiver) and the skew was not needed at all!

It seems that there are really no hard and fast rules about skew!

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts