lnbf question?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

neil_kc1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
KANSAS CITY AREA
Hello people, wanting to experiment with mini-bud and was wondering about c-band lnbf? found on line panorama er861, was wondering if there is anything else i would need, says it has scaler ring, 13 degree lnb. states it is for 4dtv, will it receive all digital signals? like dvb or mpeg? any help?

c-band lnbf

Hello, I am assuming you are planning on using an offset type of dish and not prime focus. The lnbf has to be designed for the type of Mini-bud you are planning on using so the f/d ratio is correct. When it says it is for 4dtv that is just a marketing term meaning that it is stable enough to receive digital signals. any lnbf that is stable enough for 4dtv will work with mpeg-2 dvb signals as well as analog. some older lnb's were not stable enough for the "new digital signals".

You can be that lnb that is "4dtv approved" is for a prime focus dish. I know that some of the guys on this forum know how to modify the feedhorn to make it offset or you can simply purchase an offset c-band lnbf from www.eyeinthesky.net . These are astrotel units and are very good. I have two of them on 6 foot prodelin offset dishes. They work great. I have never tried a mini bud. I have a 1 meter offset hughes network dish that I am going to try with one of my c-band lnbf's. I will try pointing it at G-10R "the outdoor channels" and see what happens.

Theoretically using a dish this small has a very wide beamwidth meaning it is possible for the dish to "see" more than the one satellite you are aiming for.
a 6 foot dish "sees" approximately 3 degrees at c-band frequencies (4 ghz).
Since satellites are spaces 2 degrees apart, you will be seeing some of the neigboring bird. If the adjacent satellite is using a transponder frequency near that of its neighbor you may suffer poor signal quality on digital or total dropout alltogether.

I experienced this on G3-C with a 6 foot dish. especially certain times of the day when the neigboring feed tranponders were turned on. when I got my 8 foot dish this all went away.

I am interested at how the mini buds will perform. Has anyone tried a 75 cm dish yet? now that would be interesting. :)

truckracer said:
Hello, I am assuming you are planning on using an offset type of dish and not prime focus. The lnbf has to be designed for the type of Mini-bud you are planning on using so the f/d ratio is correct. When it says it is for 4dtv that is just a marketing term meaning that it is stable enough to receive digital signals. any lnbf that is stable enough for 4dtv will work with mpeg-2 dvb signals as well as analog. some older lnb's were not stable enough for the "new digital signals".

You can be that lnb that is "4dtv approved" is for a prime focus dish. I know that some of the guys on this forum know how to modify the feedhorn to make it offset or you can simply purchase an offset c-band lnbf from www.eyeinthesky.net . These are astrotel units and are very good. I have two of them on 6 foot prodelin offset dishes. They work great. I have never tried a mini bud. I have a 1 meter offset hughes network dish that I am going to try with one of my c-band lnbf's. I will try pointing it at G-10R "the outdoor channels" and see what happens.

Theoretically using a dish this small has a very wide beamwidth meaning it is possible for the dish to "see" more than the one satellite you are aiming for.
a 6 foot dish "sees" approximately 3 degrees at c-band frequencies (4 ghz).
Since satellites are spaces 2 degrees apart, you will be seeing some of the neigboring bird. If the adjacent satellite is using a transponder frequency near that of its neighbor you may suffer poor signal quality on digital or total dropout alltogether.

I experienced this on G3-C with a 6 foot dish. especially certain times of the day when the neigboring feed tranponders were turned on. when I got my 8 foot dish this all went away.

I am interested at how the mini buds will perform. Has anyone tried a 75 cm dish yet? now that would be interesting. :)

I am considering this on a 90 cm dish . I have a bid in for a LNBF .

Wyr

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ended up with a scalar ring , feed horn , polar rotor & LNB . Changed out the 30 degree LNB for a 15 degre LNB .

Picking up a few channels on G 4R , with varing degrees of snow & sparkle on a 90 cm offset dish & field engineered mount for the above assembly .

Wyr

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Picking up some DVB-S on Galaxy 4 . Some analog .

Wyr

For the readers that dont no the difference between a LNB and a LNBF is that the LNB has what is called a servo motor that switches the polarity... They seldom go out... The LNBF does it with voltage... If your LNBF goes bad you will be missing some of your channels... LNB = Low noise block downconverter... LNBF = Low noise block downconverter with shared feedhorn... Also to get the digital signals is to only have a noise of 20 degree Kalvin for the 4dtv rec...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)