LNBF replacement procedure

pmart

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2005
Puerto Rico
I would like to replace my legacy LNBFs by DP or DP plus.
Any advise on which would be the best selection. Also,
would like to know if I can change LNBs without having to
realign sat dishes .

Thanks

Pmart

You should be able to swap LNB without realigning the dish just remove the screw(s) that hold the LNB. The dishpro plus series LNB allows you to use the dish separator to divide a single coax into two separate lines which is useful for dual tuner receivers. I may be wrong but I beleive the plus series will work on old receivers that only ran on legacy LNBs, I know that the case with the DPP44 switch.
Note if you have switches like the SW21 for example then they'll have to be changed to the dishpro or pro plus as well.

Need some more information about your setup.

What type of receivers do you have, Legacy? or DishPro? ...also how many in total. What type Dish you have?

Changing the LNB's shouldn't cause you to have to re-point the dish.

Receivers are 811(1ea)/311(3ea) DP compatible.
Dishes are 48" dia ( one for sat 110 with dual LNB and a second for 119 with Single LNB)

Pmart

You have several options then.

One would be to change the LNB's out to single DP's and use a DP34 switch. Another would be to use a DP quad if it'll fit on your dish or just go with a Dish500 and the quad, going with the quad you wouldn't need a DP34 switch unless you ever wanted to add any more receivers in the future. In your case the DPP LNB wouldn't benefit you with 4 single tuners unless you bought a DPP44 switch which is much more expensive than a DP34.

The reason for changing is that I have not been able to combine all 3 dish cable lines ( 2 from dual and one from single LNB) plus OTA signal into a single legacy switch.
Therefore I have a SW21( inputs from each sat) legacy switch connecting to an 811 receiver and a SW34( 2 sat inputs plus OTA) connecting to three 311 receivers, and I can't get cable plus sat 119 signal on all TV's.

Pmart

AFAIK, a dual is just 2 independent outputs of the same satellite. (A twin is two LNBs, possibly combined. Hard to do with large dish in PR. A quad probably does not apply.) So you only have two satellites 110 and 119, no 61.5 (hard in PR)?

Aha, the SW34 is for 2 polarization of one satellite and an OTA. The SW21 can add only one polarization to one set.

You will need a dual on the second dish to have 119 for all because you need both polarizations. You probably should have had a Legacy SW44 (or SW64) to drive 110 and 119 to 4 output--they do not have an OTA input. You would have to use a diplexor at each end per desired output to add the OTA signal with possible amp. Or send 1 OTA signal down the line, preferably on a separate cable, and amplify and split it inside if more than one TV is to get it. Diplexors just complicate things. Note the 44/64 will need power from an inserter as will an antenna amplifier, if needed.

With Dish Pro you would use a DP34 for 2 or 3 inputs and 4 outputs. Again it has no antenna input so as above on OTA. Avoid an SW21 or DP21 per set. You might want the DP34 inside to distribute 4 ways and use 2 DP LNBs and the OTA signal to it. (Possibly diplex the OTA with one of them. Break it out, amplify and split as needed.)
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)