LNBF Testing Comparison: SL1PLL / PLL321s / ESX521

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

SatelliteAV

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 3, 2004
Roseville, CA
This afternoon I performed a quick comparison test of the GEOSATpro SL1PLL and two popular LNBFs sold, the DMSI PLL321s and WSI ESX521. Based on the raw performance numbers gathered during a POP test with a Super Buddy satellite meter the DMSI PLL321s and the GEOSATpro SL1PLL returned very similar results and the small performance differences could be found in a batch variance. Once again, the ESX showed higher signal gains, but the increased noise reduced the carrier to noise ratio and decreased the signal quality. The ESX could be a decent LNBF if the gain was decreased.

The performance results between the PLL321s and the SL1PLL will need to be measured in real world channel viewing reports..... Feel free to add your observations and comparisons to this thread. Your testing results should provided some interesting discussions!

LNBF-Comparison_20120720.jpg

Attachments

• Comparison Competitors 20120720.pdf
    49.6 KB · Views: 355
Great comparison chart!

Yes his duals are very close so you are ok...you lose a fraction using a dual anyway, not much to notice but it is a loss if you want to be technical. His duals that he has is great. So you are OK.

The only drawback on the SL2 (the duals) is they dont work the best on a 76cm dish. I noticed when I swapped from a Sadoun dual to the S2 I lost a few points but on a 90cm I gained points. I asked Brian about it thinking it was designed for a 90cm dish

No, the SL2 Bullet was not optimized for a 90cm, but the scalar on Sadoun's LNBF could make a difference on a dish that is not two degree compliant. The 76cm does not do well rejecting adjacent satellite interference and the large scalar will assist with attenuating off axis signals. The 90cm is two degree compliant and the large scalar is not necessary.

I like the test format. But 97W is a boomer. I would like to see the test on some different locations like 125W, 87W or 83W. Other popular FTA locations where people often experience poor performance issues.

I like the test format. But 97W is a boomer. I would like to see the test on some different locations like 125W, 87W or 83W. Other popular FTA locations where people often experience poor performance issues.

In your opinion, which satellite would provide the best tough reception examples? We will test and post results.

We usually test on 97w as it has numerous adjacent satellite interference transponders and great for cross polar comparisons (which I just noticed that they were not included).

Yes you are right. 97W does test important aspects. I think 125W would be a good choice to test as well.

I agree on 125
or 103W and try it two ways
-with skew done properly (the goofy way)
-skew as "normal" (like on a motorized) so its off

99W since for some reason I never have good Ku reception for anything at all on that one, excepting the S2 Russian transponder. There are a lot of news feeds that are up semi-permanently with cameras aimed out over NY or DC or something.

Next week I will post up a few comparison tests for 125w, 103w (both skews settings) and 99w. Will also chart the performance like on past tests if there are significant performance differences.

My brain has a lot of experience and is so full that it takes a while to process a comparison when things are not in a line. (Other people say they are getting old). I spent about 15 minutes trying to find significant differences and I could not identify any. Is this the case or am I missing something?
The other item is the ruggedness. Is that opinion or measurable at this point, between the samples?
I am, so far sold on the duals, but I am going to try the SL1 PPL that I got.

I believe that the Lifetime Warranty speaks to how we rate the ruggedness of the SL1PLL.

The SL1PLL custom case is the by far the best and robust injection molding. The case and cap have been UV tested to the equivalent of 15 years of 24/7 exposure to the sun with no failure. The static test resulted in the highest rating that we ever have documented. We pay a premium to the factory for a pre-sort on the components and extended line testing for assembly and operational specification compliance. The SL1PLL is not an off the shelf generic LNBF with a label.

Thanks for asking.... there is definately a difference! :D

I had no idea that SatAV made a PLL LNB until now. Even though I am on this site daily for years, I entirely missed any discussion on the subject of PLL LNBs. I happened to see a banner ad somewhere a few weeks ago, did some reading and then figured what the hay and bought mine on eBay.

I just did a search for PLL LNB discussions here and couldn't help seeing the flaming that SatAV gave the concept of PLL LNBs last January before they got a line on one, so I am happy to see that they like them now. I might try theirs, but don't know if they ship to Canada.

I just did a search for PLL LNB discussions here and couldn't help seeing the flaming that SatAV gave the concept of PLL LNBs last January before they got a line on one, so I am happy to see that they like them now. I might try theirs, but don't know if they ship to Canada.

Here is a link to our post
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/275466-300khz-stability-ku-lnbf.html#post2745302

Hardly a flame on the PLL concept, but rather an observation based on the samples that we had tested during the previous year and the marketing BS that is adopted in the specifications by competitors LNBFs. At that time, no manufacturer was willing to partner on Standard LO model development with the performance that we spec'd. We were not interested in simply labeling an off the shelf product and printing unsupported specifications.

You might also note with interest the testing results and comments of the DRO and PLL samples last summer that are linked in the post. Not supporting the PLL products that were available at that time either. With a recent chipset release, we were finally able to introduce a product that is unique and offers the quality and performance that GEOSATpro products are known for. Guess what? The SL1PLL prints real specs and provides similar or better performance!

Several Canadian resellers will be offering the SL1PLL in a few weeks.

I had no idea that SatAV made a PLL LNB until now. Even though I am on this site daily for years, I entirely missed any discussion on the subject of PLL LNBs. I happened to see a banner ad somewhere a few weeks ago, did some reading and then figured what the hay and bought mine on eBay.

Huh?????????
You started your own thread on this 2 days before posting on this one.
I am not trying to offend you, but your reply on this thread is somewhat puzzling......

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/289040-avenger-pll321s-2-pll-=-awesome.html

My newAvenger PLL321S-2 PLL LNB by DMSI (ordered from Hypermegasat) showed up in the mail yesterday and it is awesome!

Signal before and after is like night and day. An instant 4 db gain in both signal and signal/noise on PBS 12140 was huge but also when I checked my receiver, Montana PBS went from 0 to 70% signal. The same thing happened to FSTV on 123w. FSTV was never really watchable until now. Just insane improvement across the arc. The other thing I noticed was that the signal is very stable and could withstand moving the dish a several bumps left or right without losing picture.

I wonder if they'll make a cband model? I am using it as a sidecar on my minibud Fortec 1.2 and I couldn't be more happy with its results.

Best $15 I have spent lately.​

My brain has a lot of experience and is so full that it takes a while to process a comparison when things are not in a line. (Other people say they are getting old). I spent about 15 minutes trying to find significant differences and I could not identify any. Is this the case or am I missing something?
The other item is the ruggedness. Is that opinion or measurable at this point, between the samples?
I am, so far sold on the duals, but I am going to try the SL1 PPL that I got.

There is one spec that is significantly different. I think this spec might be important to someone like yourself thats off the grid. Look at the "Current mA" column on the far right. The WSI consumes about half the power than the other two. Granted its not all that much. But when budgeting battery power every little bit counts. Other than that all three units seem to perform similarly. Brian's point about the lifetime guarantee on the GEOSATPRO gives his product the edge however.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)