Local Channel Access in an RV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hikersc

Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
We have DirecTV with 3 receivers in our home. We leave for months at a time to perform volunteer work in our RV. While away, We take a receiver and use a tripod mounted dish that we keep in the RV. Since we travel outside of the spot beam for our local channels we, of course, lose them. Otherwise, everything works great and we may or may not get any local OTA TV. I am aware of DNS but am not interested. My question is can we call DTV and ask that the locals be changed to another area without telling them we are moving or changing our billing address? I have read about others doing this in some RV forums without problems. Does anyone have any experience with doing this?

Also, do all local SD spot beams come off the 101 satellite?

To do that you have to move your service address, not a temporary fix.

You could apply for an RV wiaver, that would get you DNS from New York or LA, and fix the problem for a little more money.

Only older and bigge markets are on the 101 sat. Many also come from 119, and some small markts from 72.5

A number of RV folks tell me that they call and change their "service" address which might be an RV park where they are temporarily located. They maintain their "billing" address which is different. One guy even said he did it over the weekends that he took his receiver and tailgated at a football game.

I do not like the DNS option because I am interested in local news and weather where I am located. We frequently perform volunteer work in areas that can be somewhat remote and having this information is valuable.

A number of RV folks tell me that they call and change their "service" address which might be an RV park where they are temporarily located. They maintain their "billing" address which is different. One guy even said he did it over the weekends that he took his receiver and tailgated at a football game.

I do not like the DNS option because I am interested in local news and weather where I am located. We frequently perform volunteer work in areas that can be somewhat remote and having this information is valuable.

I would suggest calling them and tell them you have an RV and do alot of traveling, I think they actually have a seperate dept. for that type of thing.
Can't hurt to see what they say.

Jimbo

Hmmmm...
directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPage.jsp?assetId=P1400112

1 Most boat customers are not eligible for some programming services, including local channels, seasonal sports subscriptions and Pay Per View ordering by remote control. If your boat will be docked in the same location for an extended period of time, contact DIRECTV at 1-800-DIRECTV to see if you are eligible to receive any of these services.

My guess... and this is just a guess... and this is based on the PPV and Seasonal Sports Subscriptions being lumped in on the same footnote... Perhaps if you are out to sea and in international waters, you may not be necessarily bound by the contractual terms that the content providers have executed with DirecTV. I imagine that this is less about DirecTV and more about the content providers.

Lou

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)