Local channel markets

gwhitelover

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 20, 2008
Delaware, Diamond STATE
Hi, my name is James and I live in Millsboro, Delaware that is located in the Salisbury, Maryland local channel market. You may have seen my recent or previous posts about various company questions. I became a Dishnetwork customer exactly a week before a Florida court ruled that dish network was not allowed to transmit distant local networks. With reading up on this particular issue, I temporally resolved it by altering my physical address to one that is located in an area which Dishnetwork offers a local channel market. No biggy, I just watch news that happens three hours from me.

Several years pass and Verizon is now serving my street with Fios Internet and Television services. I had FiosTV installed last week and only opt in for the local channel package that they offer. I find the following:

I receive these channels with the Motorola STB: (Channels are published)
Channel 3 CW WMDT2
5 FOX WBOC SD and HD
6 CBS WBOC SD and HD
7 ABC WMDT SD and HD
8 WGN AMERICA
11 NBC WBAL SD and HD (Baltimore, different market)
12 PBS WDPB (Maryland Statewide)
22 PBS WCPB (Delaware)

I receive these channels via the QAM tuner in my television without a Motorola STB:

Channel 6.1 WPVI-HD, 6.2 WPVI-HD2, 6.3 WPVI-WX (Philadelphia, different market)
11.1 WBAL-DT, 11.2 WBAL-SD (Baltimore channels)
12.1 WHYY PBS, 12.2 Y ARTS, 12.3 Y INFO (Philadelphia)
16.1 WBOC-HD
17.1 WPHL-DT, 17.2 ThisTV (Philadelphia)
29.1 WTXF-DT (Philadelphia)
35.1 Mind, 35.2 GLB MIND (Maryland)
39.1 WLVT-DT (Allentown, Pennsylvania)
47.1 WMDT-HD, 47.2 WMDT-D2
64.1019 WMCHDT-44 (Atlantic City, New Jersey)
64.1023 NYN PBS (New Jersey)
65.1039 PBS 39 (No clue)
66 TV Guide channel that makes no sense
123.103 Weather channel from Philadephia
135.744 Sports PPV channel

A few more Spanish speaking and commercial channels.

With reviewing the above information, are cable companies, like Verizon, exempt from not being allowed to transmit local channel markets into another local channel market? An individual like myself, Verizon is piping channels from Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Baltimore, Allentown, and LA.
Plus, most of these channels that I receive without a STB are not published on the Verizon website!

There is a distinction that you're missing. DNS is represented by one market's worth of stations for the eastern half of the US and one set for the western half of the US.

What you're talking about is "significantly viewed". These are stations from ostensibly "adjacent" DMAs that you might be able to pick up with an antenna.

Significantly viewed is regulated much differently between satellite and terrestrial services. DNS is not allowed with cable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts