local channel options?

j0nnyhb

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
Dish doesn't carry my local channels in their system. Is there any way I can get other NBC, ABC, CBS and FOX?

Someone suggested changing my service address to Minneapolis or St. Paul (I'm in Rochester) but I'm not real interested in that ... won't the phone line detect where the reciever is?

I'm not in a great location as far as OTA, I could get most if not all the above if I put up a big antenna, but I'm not real exited about spending 700 bucks on an antenna install (and my neighborhood might not allow it anyway).

Thanks in advance.

Could always apply online for waivers. ABC is available for DNS for Rochester, MN, so you only need waviers for the other 3.

Thanks, I did call them up and they are getting me wavers for all 4 (or maybe just 3 like you said) ... the guy i talked to didn't seem to know about ABC being available for Rochester.

In Rochester, you don't need much of an antenna to get 10 (NBC) and 47 (FOX). Go to Farm & Fleet and pick up a channel master antenna. I live in NE Rochester and had to add an FM trap to eliminate interference from the high powered FM station towers on top of the hill.

I'm personally hoping that E* will get permission to make available the Minneapolis stations as highly viewed channels because they are are available on Charter cable.

Randy

welcome johnnyhb & rlegan from a fellow Minnesotan (Shakopee) :wave

If Minneapolis becomes a Significantly viewed (SV) area, Rochester might get some of them (I could see CBS for sure and maybe ABC since Hubbards own both KSTP & KAAL). I don't know about FOX or NBC...

Mankato would be another area since the only channel in thier DMA is KEYC (CBS).

Do you guys have a UPN or do you just have WFTC (29) pumped in? I think WB is cable only there.

Derwin0 said:
Could always apply online for waivers. ABC is available for DNS for Rochester, MN, so you only need waviers for the other 3.

Where do you see ABC is available? I just checked and it isnt (at least not in Rochester..only PBS is)

j0nnyhb said:
Someone suggested changing my service address to Minneapolis or St. Paul (I'm in Rochester) but I'm not real interested in that ... won't the phone line detect where the reciever is?

you could. Elgin is in the Mpls DMA (I just checked an address there). Anything north of Olmstead county is in the Mpls DMA

And no the phone line doesnt detect it. I have a Duluth address according to Dish and I live right in the TC :)

Iceberg said:
Where do you see ABC is available? I just checked and it isnt (at least not in Rochester..only PBS is)
I threw in an address in downtown Rochester, and the Dish System said ABC DNS was available.
The address I used was:
123 W Center St.
Rochester, MN
55902-3044

Thanks guys ... that is interesting about putting in an Elgin address.

I'm trying to get a "wavier", but I'm not sure this will go through, the guy at Dish said it takes 30-45 days and they need to clear it. The guy didn't know what he was talking about, as I was asking him "who needs to approve it? The Chicago stations that I want to get (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX)?" He said yes ... does that make sense? Also, he said I need to just keep checking my guide to see if all the sudden I get the channels ... if the wavier doesn't go through, they tell me nothing, no letter, email, nothing ... that kinda sucks. Does it really take that long? And who are they going to try and get permission from on my behalf? Thanks.

On the antenna, I really don't want one and I don't know if I could put one up even if I did (covenants), also, that doesn't help when I want to use the DVR I have through Dish.

Oh yea, I am only elgible for PBS and the super stations at my address, no ABC.

j0nnyhb said:
I'm trying to get a "wavier", but I'm not sure this will go through, the guy at Dish said it takes 30-45 days and they need to clear it. The guy didn't know what he was talking about, as I was asking him "who needs to approve it? The Chicago stations that I want to get (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX)?" He said yes ... does that make sense? Also, he said I need to just keep checking my guide to see if all the sudden I get the channels ... if the wavier doesn't go through, they tell me nothing, no letter, email, nothing ... that kinda sucks. Does it really take that long? And who are they going to try and get permission from on my behalf? Thanks.
The waivers go to your local affiliates, which in this case would be FOX 47 & NBC 10 (KTTC), KIMT (CBS3) and KAAL (ABC6)....but I wonder since you're close enough to Minneapolis if they need them from there too.

That is what I thought, why in the heck would they ever grant this waiver? Do they grant them for people that refuse to go with cable or antenna's? Seems like they wouldn't want to. Do these things generally get rejected or go though?

FWIW, I'm still going to watch my local news with basic cable, but I want to record via my Dish DVR so I get digital quality vs crapy cable analog.

I hope they do ;o) ... thanks for all the information! Again, this forum is great.

I've never heard of anyone getting a Rochester waiver granted. Olmsted country isn't in the Marketing area for MSP, so it up to the mood of the locals. I predict that you have a 1% chance of getting KTTC which owns ( FOX & NBC). Channel 6 might just because they know that they run on pea power and have a lousy signal into Rochester. If you do get denied, phone calls might work to the station managers stating that you promise to maintain basic cable.

If you have a relative in Oronoco/elgin area, or someplace closer to MSP who has Direct TV or has no intention of going Dish, use them as the service location.

I use the different service address legitimately as I give my mom Dish as a repeating Xmas present. Be sure to plug all of your dish receivers into the phone line to avoid problems with the Dish audit team (the Dish goons).

j0nnyhb said:
...FWIW, I'm still going to watch my local news with basic cable, but I want to record via my Dish DVR so I get digital quality vs crapy cable analog.
That's what I had to do to keep some "nearby but not quite local" stations. I demoted my Comcast service to minimal basic "Lifeline" $10/month just to keep some stations I liked, and to keep public access and local government stations that Dish can't offer me. I use a Replay 2020 to catch all that, so in some ways it's better than getting it on Dish, it doesn't take up any room in the Dish-522's hard drive. The drawbacks are paying for two services and The Weather Channel does not have local forecasts on Dish. Oh well...

!sadroll

rlegan said:
I predict that you have a 1% chance of getting KTTC which owns ( FOX & NBC).
Didnt know these were both owned by Quincy..I thoiught Fox was owned by someone else :)

If you have a relative in Oronoco/elgin area, or someplace closer to MSP who has Direct TV or has no intention of going Dish, use them as the service location.

this is honestly the best option :)

Well I quess I was wrong. KXLT - 47 is owned by
Sagamorehill Broadcasting.

I made the assumption that it had been bought out when they merged their news organization with KTTC. Note that KTTC manages the KXLT website (bottom of the page).

fox47kxlt
(sorry, blasted spam control won't let me put a link in the article. add com with a . to make it a link).

I really don't know what their financial arrangement is or who is minding the transmitter and selling the ads....

rlegan
Once you have 5 posts, it allows links :)

I know what you mean...In Duluth, the CBS & NBC have the same thing
KDLH (CBS) is owned by Malara, KBJR (NBC) is Granite. KBJR does everything for KDLH including news and commercials.

Its a loophole in the FCC rules. I dont know the exact rule, but for smaller areas its one owner can't own 2 of the big 4 (CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC) so they use this "agreement" as the loophole :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)