Local Channel question. D* vs E* in same DMA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cocoon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 21, 2006
Local Channel question. D* vs E* in same area but give locals for diffrent DMA

I was just messing around on dish network and directv websites for info on local channels.

If I put zip code 457XX on dish network it says the locals are Columbus Ohio.
Same zip code on directv says locals are Charleston-Huntington WV.

Is this some kind of mistake?

Last edited:
No; but we need your EXACT zip and county?

Unlikely on a public forum.

I called dish network to verify the website results. Appears the website is correct.

I am wondering about the legality of this. How can they give diffrent locals for the exact same area? It has always irritated me that the cable company can distribute both sets of locals legally in that area while the satellite companies are much more restricted.

giving out a zip code isn't a biggie on a public forum.

I called dish network to verify the website results. Appears the website is correct.

I am wondering about the legality of this. How can they give diffrent locals for the exact same area?

The reason why in some counties D* & E* fall under different DMA's, is because those are determined by Nielsen. And in some years, Nielsen moves some counties from one DMA to another. And also, D* & E* do NOT necessarily use the Nielsen list from the SAME year. So this is why the difference between the 2 co. - & yes it IS legal.

It has always irritated me that the cable company can distribute both sets of locals legally in that area while the satellite companies are much more restricted.

Right, because they have differing sets of rules for distribution of locals - this might change with the new legislation being worked on now.

Dish and DirecTV can "lock in" a particular year of the nielsen borders. This is a benefit to customers, not a detriment. This means that customers in counties like Auglaize Co in Ohio which switches from Dayton to Lima and back don't lose their locals every other year.

Athens County moved from Huntington/Charleston to Columbus last year. AFAIK Dish still has it in Charleston. I don't know where DirecTV has it

2008/9 Ohio Borders http://www.dishuser.org/TVMarkets/Maps/ohio.gif

See ya
Tony

Unlikely on a public forum.

I am wondering about the legality of this. How can they give diffrent locals for the exact same area? It has always irritated me that the cable company can distribute both sets of locals legally in that area while the satellite companies are much more restricted.

Zip codes on a public forum is done all the time, if you want correct info, well need it.

We need to know what city your in in order to look the answer up .....

fwiw, I'm in Toledo, Ohio zipcode 43623

Dish and DirecTV can "lock in" a particular year of the nielsen borders. This is a benefit to customers, not a detriment. This means that customers in counties like Auglaize Co in Ohio which switches from Dayton to Lima and back don't lose their locals every other year.

Athens County moved from Huntington/Charleston to Columbus last year. AFAIK Dish still has it in Charleston. I don't know where DirecTV has it

2008/9 Ohio Borders http://www.dishuser.org/TVMarkets/Maps/ohio.gif

See ya
Tony

Excellent. That is the info I was looking for.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)