Local Channels at 2 locations

Status
Please reply by conversation.

crappiemike

Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
I recently purchased a vacation home which is just outsided of the spot beam for my permanant home's local channels (Chicago area).

I spoke to a D* customer rep, anonymously, and described that I'd like to carry my STB back and forth since the vacation home and I'd like to receive the local channels that are available in the vacation home area. Supprisingly she didn't have a problem with what I was trying to do and said that I should be able to pick up the locals in that area, as far as programming is concerned "locals are locals".

I have tried simply moving the box there, and it still thinks that it should be looking for the Chicago local channels and reports "Not available in this area".
Did I simply need to change something in the setup menu to provide a new zipcode or something or was the customer service rep just completely wrong (big suprise :) )

Just to be clear, I'm NOT trying to pick up the Chicago locals, just the locals that are available in the vacation home area (western Kentucky).

I could be wrong, but I believe your locals are based off of what's programmed into your card by D*.

You would probably have to change your address for when you're in KY to get locals (assuming of course that there are locals available from D* there).

Directv has to change the locals you receive so you would need to move your address each time you go to the vacation home. This is assuming that they have locals available in the location of your vacation home.

boba said:
Directv has to change the locals you receive so you would need to move your address each time you go to the vacation home. This is assuming that they have locals available in the location of your vacation home.
Your service address has to change for you to pick up the locals in the other location.

Ideally in this situation you should open another account, and suspend one or the other depending on where you are at so you're not getting clobbered w/ 2 bills. Get another IRD to reduce the wear and tear of transporting one and you'll be set, just a phonecall before and after a trip to suspend/unsuspend the appropriate accounts.

Is this possible ? I've searched the DirecTv web site and can't find any reference to this. This is EXACTLY what I want.

Elstevo said:
Your service address has to change for you to pick up the locals in the other location.

Ideally in this situation you should open another account, and suspend one or the other depending on where you are at so you're not getting clobbered w/ 2 bills. Get another IRD to reduce the wear and tear of transporting one and you'll be set, just a phonecall before and after a trip to suspend/unsuspend the appropriate accounts.

You would need a 1yr. contract to set up a new account the minimum programming package is Opcion Extra at $29.99 w/locals after the year you could suspend the account.

you can suspend during the 1 yr contract as well. I did it last month and my 1-yr contract was only a few months in.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)