Local Channels at Tailgate

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Chi_IC_Hawk

Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
Chicago
[FONT=&quot]I am technologically challenged but would really like to get a small TV set up at a tailgate this Saturday, especially local channels. We got it set-up once a couple of years ago at a game, however, we were barely able to get locals with the antenna. The satellite channels worked pretty well, but it was using my parent's local DTV receiver. They have since moved and can't get DTV at their new place so I will need to bring my receiver from Chicago which is 225 miles from where we want to set it up.

This is the equipment that I currently have:

TV - can't remember exactly and don't think it has HD capabilities; it is a 17" flat screen (I think JVC)
Portable Satellite Dish - Winegard RD-9046
DirecTV - HD DVR with Chicago locals
Antenna - Terk Indoor Amplified HDTV Antenna
Generator - Honda EU 2000

My questions are as follows:
Does the TV matter (it's probably 4 years old)?
Is my Chicago receiver going to work 225 miles away for everything but the locals?
Do you recommend a different antenna so that we can get the local channels better?

Do you have any thoughts on additional equipment you would recommend? [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I would prefer to mostly work within what I have, but would be willing to make a small investment. Don't get me wrong, the KVH TracVision 7.0 looks awesome , but I'm not quite willing to go to those lengths!

Thanks so much for your help!
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

you just need to punch in the zip code you are at and it will tell you the angle to set the dish and where to point it
you might have some trouble with an hd dish, I haven't done one when camping, we always used a single lnb dish

That's just for the satellite channels, right? Good to know that my receiver from home should work though!

Any ideas on the local channels?

Highly doubt you will get the locals 225 miles from home. Usually most are good to maybe 150 miles - but I do know that the Chicago spotbeam is pretty strong - nothing to lose by trying though.

We take our boxes and dishes all over and have always got our locals that we get at home.

You won't if you move outside of the spot beam.

I answered with those two links because the OP mentioned wanting to use an antenna for locals.

I know that a dish is technically an antenna, but in the context he was referring to a regular OTA antenna.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)