Local Channels Compressed

metrxseven

Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
I have both Direc-TV and Dish Network. It seems to me that they compress all their local channels which causes digital artifacts and pixelization. Is anyone else experiencing this? If so is there any remedy?

Yep, both Dish and Directv compress the hell out of the local channels. I pick up the Tampa Bay digital feeds with an ota antenna and the quality is way better.

I hope when all the birds are aloft and the allocations sorted-out that both services will do more to improve their LiL bitrates, HD and SD, to deliver better PQ. One thing that may hasten that along would be if the LIL demand remains low due to poor PQ, and toward that end we need to all complain to the services - loud and often - i.e., don't buy the locals until the PQ is improved and make sure the services know your position...

It also can vary from market to market, from provider to provider & from different channels within the same market.
For example, on D* I have seen Chicago & St.Louis & while Chicago looks OK (at least on the "big 7") for the most part, St.Louis looks compressed & blurry on the same sets of nets.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)