Local channels from different location.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

chcuk44

Original poster
Oct 13, 2016
Pennsylvania
I have Pittsburgh local channels in my Dish package. I am taking one of my receivers to Florida for the winter. If I install my own dish, shouldn't I be able to receive the Pittsburgh locals?

I have Pittsburgh local channels in my Dish package. I am taking one of my receivers to Florida for the winter. If I install my own dish, shouldn't I be able to receive the Pittsburgh locals?

Not in this case because local channels are broadcast via spot beam. That beam is limited in geographical coverage and most likely will not reach Florida. Spot beams for local markets vary in size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As jcanavera says you won't get Pittsburgh locals in Florida, the signal for most locals is sent to a small area where they are meant to be seen. Almost all other channels (in your case likely all other channels) will be seen.
You don't say what receiver you have, but you have a couple of solutions to get locals. If you can put up an antenna and your receiver can get channels from an antenna that would be one way though you would be able to record only one local channel at a time.

The second way actually fulfills the user agreement with DISH. When you take your receiver from the location DISH has on file where it is supposed to be you are supposed to call DISH and let them know. The idea is they do not allow use at two locations and technically you are supposed to bring all receivers with you. I would say most people stay within the spirit of that when they have a seasonal second home or travel in a motorhome and while they may not bring all receivers they don't use both locations at the same time. So you can call DISH tell them you are at a seasonal home for awhile and to change your location so you get the locals there.

Reactions: TheKrell
As jcanavera says you won't get Pittsburgh locals in Florida, the signal for most locals is sent to a small area where they are meant to be seen. Almost all other channels (in your case likely all other channels) will be seen.
You don't say what receiver you have, but you have a couple of solutions to get locals. If you can put up an antenna and your receiver can get channels from an antenna that would be one way though you would be able to record only one local channel at a time.

The second way actually fulfills the user agreement with DISH. When you take your receiver from the location DISH has on file where it is supposed to be you are supposed to call DISH and let them know. The idea is they do not allow use at two locations and technically you are supposed to bring all receivers with you. I would say most people stay within the spirit of that when they have a seasonal second home or travel in a motorhome and while they may not bring all receivers they don't use both locations at the same time. So you can call DISH tell them you are at a seasonal home for awhile and to change your location so you get the locals there.
Thanks. I know about the over-the-air transmissions. Not interested in the local Florida channels.

i have watched columbus channels in north carolina on dish anywhere. this has been several years ago. i just tried it and it works but i am in my home. worth a try.

Pittsburgh channels used to be available nationwide, but that changed a few years ago. Cincinnati channels are still available nationwide on the 77 satellite, as are Bluefield WV. I used to get the Bluefield channels here in FL to get my Sunday Steeler games.

OP probably wants pittsburgh locals for the steelers, and perhaps some local pittsburgh news........

sling pittsburgh shows to florida.

i have a ota tivo. and a ota antenna......

perhaps we can arrange something

Pittsburgh channels used to be available nationwide, but that changed a few years ago. Cincinnati channels are still available nationwide on the 77 satellite, as are Bluefield WV. I used to get the Bluefield channels here in FL to get my Sunday Steeler games.

Are the Cincinnati stations on 77 in HD if you're not in the spotbeam?

According to The List.
YES.
Screenshot_20161014-153247.png

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Yes.

5160 WCPO (9) Cincinnati, OH - ABC 9 MPEG4 HD 77°W
5161 WKRC (12) Cincinnati, OH - CBS 12 MPEG4 HD 77°W
5162 WLWT (5) Cincinnati, OH - NBC 5 MPEG4 HD 77°W
5163 WXIX (19) Newport, KY - FOX 19 MPEG4 HD 77°W
5166 WCET (48) Cincinnati, OH - PBS 48 MPEG4 HD 77°W
5170 WCVN (54) Covington, OH - PBS 54 MPEG4 HD 77°W
5171 WPTO (14) Oxford, OH - PBS 14 MPEG4 HD 77°W
5172 WSTR (64) Cincinnati, OH - MN 64 MPEG4 HD 77°W

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Yes.

5160 WCPO (9) Cincinnati, OH - ABC 9 MPEG4 HD 77°W
5161 WKRC (12) Cincinnati, OH - CBS 12 MPEG4 HD 77°W
5162 WLWT (5) Cincinnati, OH - NBC 5 MPEG4 HD 77°W
5163 WXIX (19) Newport, KY - FOX 19 MPEG4 HD 77°W
5166 WCET (48) Cincinnati, OH - PBS 48 MPEG4 HD 77°W
5170 WCVN (54) Covington, OH - PBS 54 MPEG4 HD 77°W
5171 WPTO (14) Oxford, OH - PBS 14 MPEG4 HD 77°W
5172 WSTR (64) Cincinnati, OH - MN 64 MPEG4 HD 77°W

Interesting. 77 is viewed from a western arc dish, correct?

Back before the new 61.5 satellite was launched and activated, there were not enough spotbeams on the EA to cover all the markets. The new bird allowed for many more markets to be spotbeamed, but not all. There are about a half dozen CONUS local markets remaining. I wish they had chosen Cincy as a new spotbeam market and left Pittsburgh alone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts