Local channels from neighboring cities

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

reweiss

Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I know there was talk about a year ago where their might be legislature to allow us to receive local channels from neighboring cities.

Dees anyone know if there has been any movement, it's stagnent or dead?

There are 2 cases where neighboring locals you can get

-your market is not a full market (does not have the Big 4 nets) and a neighboring is imported (Directv has done that for years)....Dish just started being able to do this
-you live in an area where a neighboring market is significantly viewed and you get both sets of locals. These are in very rare instances where you do.

It comes down to spotbeams and the whole part of a market can be considered SV and the rest can't.

I live in example 2. My address is in Nicollet County, MN which is the Minneapolis market (90 miles away). However the county across the river (Blue Earth) is the Mankato market (CBS/Fox subchannel only).....ironically the studios are in Nicollet County. SO I get all the Minneapolis stations AND KEYC CBS as SV. Across the river they get CBS & Fox Mankato (their locals) and ABC/NBC from Minneapolis (under point 1 above). Even more ironic is I dont get Fox Mankato as SV (but do get CBS)

I live at the corner of four counties. I always have to answer which county I live in when I give my zip to either Dish or D*. Literally a few blocks away I would get different locals. One of the few benefits to having Mediacom cable was that they gave us both the Des Moines and Waterloo/Cedar Falls locals. We are much closer to Waterloo/Cedar Falls, but at my address we get the Des Moines locals. I have an antenna to get the Waterloo/Cedar Falls channels. I had the adapter box for my 722 when I had Dish, haven't decided whether to spend the extra $ to get the AM21 with D*.

it show wjhg being my nbc local here in dothan al but nbc out of new york on direc.i have call direc this week and try to get change to wjhg and they wouldn't do it.i have an am21 well satasfied with the box it work real good.i wish i could get a am21 to hook to hr25.

DirecTV's definition of significantly viewed is much different from the official list... for example in my county Comcast carries ABC, NBC and FOX from Portland, OR in addition to my Seattle locals. They are on the FCC's list--but DirecTV doesn't offer them. There are NUMEROUS areas like this.

I don't know if it is because they would have to strike individual deals with the locals for just these areas, or what--but D's SV list is much lower than it should be.

--Nat

cable has rules from the 60's when it comes to neighboring locals
satellite has always had their nuts in a vice thanks to the FCC on this.

They can offer a neighboring local where there already is one available in EXTREME situations...if there is no affiliate of that network then its much easier

One of the most interesting areas not that far from Cincinnati has three cities as significantly viewed. I would assume that this would apply to cable and not to satellite TV. And if they are significantly viewed as defined by the FCC, none of the stations would be subject to blackout syndex rules...on cable...meaning a cable co could theoretically carry all these stations with no issues?

Wayne County Indiana

WDTN, 2, Dayton, OH (formerly WLWD)
WHIO-TV, 7, Dayton, OH
+WRGT-TV, 45, Dayton, OH
WLWT, 5, Cincinnati, OH
WCPO-TV, 9, Cincinnati, OH
WKRC-TV, 12, Cincinnati, OH
WTTV, 4, Bloomington, IN
WRTV, 6, Indianapolis, IN (formerly WFBM)
WISH-TV, 8, Indianapolis, IN
WTHR, 13, Indianapolis, IN (formerly WLWI)

while sig viewed doesnt have to be blacked out the local affiliate can invoke syndex rights which does black out the neighboring station

When I lived in Duluth, MN (2000-2003) we had what was at the time UPN9 from Minneapolis (now Fox 9). During the day all you'd see was a white screen with "FCC rules force us to black out this program. Check local listings for other times in your area" as those syndicated shows the locals in Duluth showed them. Even though it might be shown at 2AM on the locla ABC (as example) and at 3PM on UPN9 we were still blacked out.

90 miles down the road (Mankato, MN) has CBS & Fox only. Cable has both from Minneapolis. Any duplicate programming on both stations are blacked out. But here is something ironic. Fox Mankato isnt HD (480i widescreen) and Fox9 Minneapolis is carried on cable in HD. That isnt blacked out as there is no Fox HD other than that

blah,
My county only shows:

Calhoun
+KAVU-TV, 25, Victoria, TX

Which I get OTA anyway. I get the Houston locals via DirecTV, but the local cable company in town also provides 3 of the Corpus Christi Networks. I sent a letter to the FCC over a year ago with the cable channel line-up asking that the Corpus Networks be put on the "significantly viewed list" for our area and never heard back from them. Not that DirecTV would have added them anyway......

I'm in New Haven county. We get 2,4, and 5 from NYC. New London county gets Providence RI. The north east corner of the state gets some from Boston.

In either case, scenario 1 or 2, do you have to request this from Direct or Dish or do they do it automatically?

In either case, scenario 1 or 2, do you have to request this from Direct or Dish or do they do it automatically?

It's automatic. Either you get them or you don't.

When I had Comcast here in Ocean County NJ we had both the NYC and Philly feeds of NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, UPN, AND WB (and then CW) with the NYC channels in HD. When I moved over to DirecTV I now only have NYC locals but Comcast in my area is cool in only 1 aspect being you receive both Philly and NYC locals.

The bad thing now with DirecTV is that all Philly games are blacked out. Good thing I'm a NY sports fan.

I live between Madison and Milwaukee and used to get both sets of local channels, then one day the Madison channels were just gone. The only thing I could figure is that maybe the competition had previously provided both sets and stopped, so they did too?

If I get the local cable company's service, I get my locals (Toledo) and everything buit CBS from Detroit, however, with Sat we don't get any of the Detroit channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts