Local Channels HD vs. SD

B

bjones3221

Mar 20, 2009
Vancouver WA
Hey, sorry if this had been posted already.

Does anyone know of the Local HD channels are spot beamed like the standard def channels? I ask because I want to know if I will get them out of my home area? Have a dish on my motor home. In my area on ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX are available in HD but that's fine.

Really trying to figure out if there is a way to have MY locals when I travel in the motor home.

As you can imagine I get different answers from Dish every time I talk to them. They've even told me that I have a "special" antenna that the RV antennas aren't "allowed" to have. (you see why I don't trust their answer)

Thanks for the help

tnsprin

tnsprin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 27, 2003
Yes, local HD channels are spot beamed.

There are, or at least were, a few exceptions, but generally true. I suspect that the exceptions may go away as they get enough spotbeams available.

B

bjones3221

Mar 20, 2009
Vancouver WA
So how does one get local channels while traveling +/- 200 miles from home? From what I'm hearing it doesn't sound like it's possible. Wasn't dish forced to go away from distant networks, so I don't think they even have the "RV" waiver any longer.

Any guidance is appreciated.

G

garys

SatelliteGuys Master
It is possible you would still be within the spotbeam of your local channels and if you are, you would still get them. If not, just move to the dma you are in at the time and move home when you return home.

B

BobaBird

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 8, 2003
EKB Annex
The HD locals on 77° and 118.75° are CONUS, the rest are on spots.

RV users can get SD nets, but no HD, from San Francisco and New York City from All American Direct.