Local channels in standard def

ashecnc

SatelliteGuys Family
Jun 2, 2010
Asheville, NC
I have the hopper, but how do I also watch LOCAL channels in Standard Def, changing it on the guide to list HD and SD still only shows locals in HD. Fox is trash on Dish in HD, it fades out and lips not in sync all the time at night. I was told to watch in SD and it would work, but I can't even bring up SD locals. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Somebody doesn't know what they're talking about. In many markets, Dish no longer carries SD versions of HD local channels -- which only makes sense, since all the current receivers can convert HD to SD!

If you have a problem with your local channel, you need to get it fixed. First, you need to determine if the channel broadcasts that way, or if it's a Dish problem. If it's a Dish problem, email dishquality@echostar.com. If it's your local channel's problem, complain to them, or to other local media such as newspapers if you don't get any response from them.

If the OP does live in Ashville, NC as his profile suggests, then he must be on Eastern Arc if he is only getting HD locals. He could switch to Western Arc, which ONLY has SD locals, no HD locals. It's not a solution to the actual problem, but it is a workaround.

Last edited:
Somebody doesn't know what they're talking about. In many markets, Dish no longer carries SD versions of HD local channels -- which only makes sense, since all the current receivers can convert HD to SD!

If you have a problem with your local channel, you need to get it fixed. First, you need to determine if the channel broadcasts that way, or if it's a Dish problem. If it's a Dish problem, email dishquality@echostar.com. If it's your local channel's problem, complain to them, or to other local media such as newspapers if you don't get any response from them.
Agreed. My guess is the local FOX channel and their up-link to Dish. Not the first such reported problem...with a local FOX...and not a clue as to why.

Agreed. My guess is the local FOX channel and their up-link to Dish. Not the first such reported problem...with a local FOX...and not a clue as to why.
In my market, Dish (and Direct) put in their own 'Head Ends' to receive the locals from OTA. They (satcos) receive the signals, encode them, and send via fiber to Colorado(?). It is possible a station has a dedicated feed to a satco, but I doubt it.

Assuming the local's OTA broadcast is working well, my guess is the problem is on Dish's end. Of course, sat/cable co's CSR's will say the problem is with the local, when that's really doubtful (otherwise ALL cable/satco's/AND OTA viewers would be having the same problem).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts