Local Channels - Older Receivers vs. Newer

Status
Please reply by conversation.

I40880

Original poster
Aug 21, 2013
Darlington, SC
I have three receivers, HR24-500, HR24-100 and HR20-100. I live in a fringe area for the next state over's local channels. I had the bright idea to change my equipment location to our vacation home in that area so that I could get their local stations because I want to watch one of the sports teams there. Anyway, I thought it was a flop because the HR24 receivers say they are searching for the satellite. However, the HR20 receiver gets all local channels just fine. What is going on here? Thanks.

Your signal strength might be just on the margin and the Hr20 tuner might be slightly better, or the cable to the HR24s slightly longer. What's your "next state over" zip code?

Are you trying to get Raleigh or Charlotte? Those would be the best bets for spotbeam, I would guess.

I am trying to pick up the Georgia stations. I have looked at a footprint of that beam and I am not in the outer ring but the next one in.

:welcome to Satelliteguys I40880!

Are you trying to get the Augusta GA stations? How did you change your address with Directv?

This also could be a chip question,Chip,
Pretty sure but not positive the HR 20 had the OTA (can't remember the correct name) chip to decode the new digital signal. Recent TVs have the chip and will pick up locals directly from a bow tie antenna. Without notice that chip vanished from newer HDDVRs along with an antenna input port. Haven't kept up with recent features. Might need to ad an Aim 21.

That could be it.

Joe

Could be Joe, but he's way too far from Augusta GA to get any ota channels.

Until the TS comes back we don't know for certain what is really going on.

Until the TS comes back we don't know for certain what is really going on.
It wasn't clear to me how he wanted the get the local channels. Playing that game with moving around spotbeams works a little. It was the difference in programming on the different sets that gave me the suspicion it was the eq installed in older HDDVRS.

Must be a sports thing anyhow.

+ looked it up..........".A digital television adapter (DTA), or digital-to-analog converter [set-top box], or commonly known as a converter box, it is a television tuner that receives a digital television (DTV) transmission, and converts the digital signal into an analog signal that can be received and displayed on an analog television set. It may refer to over-the-air broadcast television signals received by an television antenna, or to cable TV systems which switched to digital cable. It normally does not refer to satellite TV, which has always required a set-top box either to operate the big satellite dish, or to be the integrated receiver/decoder (IRD) in the case of direct-broadcast satellites (DBS).

In North America, these ATSC tuner boxes convert from ATSC to NTSC, ......." could be the older TV, a more recent HDDVR or an incorrect setting in setup

Joe

Last edited:
Temp Address Change

If you are going on vacation to a place with a dish you can have your location temporarily changed by calling Directv and asking that it be done. I have just realized that the two receivers that will not pick up the stations both are working off of a cable supplying swm power to the swm unit. Could this be the cause? Does the swm power supply perhaps degrade the signal slightly?

If you are going on vacation to a place with a dish you can have your location temporarily changed by calling Directv and asking that it be done. I have just realized that the two receivers that will not pick up the stations both are working off of a cable supplying swm power to the swm unit. Could this be the cause? Does the swm power supply perhaps degrade the signal slightly?

Quick....we have a clue.....need the list of SWM compatible IRDs. The HDDVR 24 works but not the HR20?????............what splitter is in use?.......is it approved green tag dual power pass?

Joe

I have the green tag power supply. The H20 receiver works just fine through the SWM. However, it is the H24 that has the power supply in line with it.

I have the green tag power supply. The H20 receiver works just fine through the SWM. However, it is the H24 that has the power supply in line with it.
So far everything seems correct............in MENU and SETUP is the correct dish selected?

Next trick is to swiitch the positions of the receivers.
IF the H24 works on the line the that the H20 is now on..... there is a defect on the splitter, a fitting or other cable.
IF it does not work on the known to be good line there is a box problem.

Report how it goes.

Joe

Let's have a closer look at this.
Where are you actually located? What's the city whose locals you are trying to receive? That will tell us which transponder is delivering the locals so we can tell you which transponder to check. I suspect there is nothing wrong with your equipment....

I am located about 250 miles east of Atlanta. I have a revelation. I can receive all non-HD channels but cannot receive an HD channels. I assume that these channels must be on different satellites and that the HD channel satellite spot beam does not cover my area. Any thoughts?

I was just going to ask if you got the SD locals. They seem to come in further than the HD. SD channels also come in when it rains really hard when the HD channel doesn't. Someone will explain why, it makes no sense to me.

You need to be a bit more specific. The only HD channels on spot beams are locals, all other HD is on national (CONUS) transponders which can be received everywhere..
What is your service (home) address?
What receiver(s) do you have?
What dish type (describe it)?
You say you don't "receive" HD channels. are they in the guide, and what happens when you tune to one?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)