Local Channels Freezing

fanjet

Original poster
Jul 29, 2021
For the last couple months, my local channels will freeze up momentarily. Sometimes it happens throughout a whole show. But only on local channels. Do I need a new Dish, new DVR? Signal strength is good at 70%.

For the last couple months, my local channels pixelate. Sometimes just for a few seconds, other times the whole show. Signal strength is pretty good at 70. Do I need a new Dish, DVR?
I'm going to assume that you are using a OTA antenna..Signal strength of 70 is about the minimum the receiver will lock on with OTA... Your signal is probably not strong enough and causing the pixelation.. again this is assuming you are using OTA

This has been an issue in several markets, the Peoria, IL area where I live has been really bad. Dish acts as if they've never heard of it if you call in. It's gotten better but if you watch, the video seems to go almost SD for a second. It's really annoying

For the last couple months, my local channels pixelate. Sometimes just for a few seconds, other times the whole show. Signal strength is pretty good at 70. Do I need a new Dish, DVR?
Hello Fanjet! This issue may be unrelated to your signal strength, but we'd need to do additional troubleshooting to narrow down the answer. For real-time assistance, you may contact us through Facebook or Twitter (Facebook Messenger at Log into Facebook, on Twitter @DISH_answers). You may also visit https://www.mydish.com/support/contact to start a live chat with a Customer Service Representative.

Reactions: charlesrshell
What market?
Are your locals delivered over satellite or do you have an OTA antenna?
Does this happen to all local channels or just certain ones?
Locals delivered over satellite. I'm in the Monterey Peninsula, California area. Happens to all local channels periodically.

I'm going to assume that you are using a OTA antenna..Signal strength of 70 is about the minimum the receiver will lock on with OTA... Your signal is probably not strong enough and causing the pixelation.. again this is assuming you are using OTA
I get my locals from Dish. No OTA.

Locals delivered over satellite. I'm in the Monterey Peninsula, California area. Happens to all local channels periodically.
I can tell you I've seen techs from other areas, Tampa, South Carolina, Columbus, OH come to mind, where the same thing is happening

Mine been doing that too, what I have to do is change channels then go back and it works for a while only on locals

Hello Fanjet! This issue may be unrelated to your signal strength, but we'd need to do additional troubleshooting to narrow down the answer. For real-time assistance, you may contact us through Facebook or Twitter (Facebook Messenger at Log into Facebook, on Twitter @DISH_answers). You may also visit https://www.mydish.com/support/contact to start a live chat with a Customer Service Representative.
Dish telephone customer service has had me run through the usual checks and said nothing comes up that shows a problem. But when I tried to watch NBC Primetime on 12/6, I checked the Dish diagnostics page and under "issues" was written LNB Drift Detected. Below it were 2 separate lines of numbers and letters. This has happened before as well. I've now called twice, 12/6 and 12/7.

Dish telephone customer service has had me run through the usual checks and said nothing comes up that shows a problem. But when I tried to watch NBC Primetime on 12/6, I checked the Dish diagnostics page and under "issues" was written LNB Drift Detected. Below it were 2 separate lines of numbers and letters. This has happened before as well. I've now called twice, 12/6 and 12/7.
You need a new LNBF, I'd say

Did you select tech support?

I have had a similar problem with my (OTA) local FOX station over the last month or so. It would just freeze up until I switched channels. Doesn't happen often.
Now a new problem has me wondering if perhaps my LNB is bad. My local PBS station over the last couple of days is narrating cartoons like a closed captioning service. Very annoying for my kids to watch. It only does it on that one channel.

I have had a similar problem with my (OTA) local FOX station over the last month or so. It would just freeze up until I switched channels. Doesn't happen often.
Now a new problem has me wondering if perhaps my LNB is bad. My local PBS station over the last couple of days is narrating cartoons like a closed captioning service. Very annoying for my kids to watch. It only does it on that one channel.
You have audio description turned on. You need to disable that. On your Hopper 3 remote, press Options, Accessibility, then turn off Audio Description. You might make sure Text to Speech is also disabled.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)