Local Channels

carlitta

Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
Why won't Dish Network let me have NBC? I've tried and tried to get it! Our regular antennae will not pick it up locally! What can I do?

Rest assured, Dish would give you the channel if they were allowed to. There's probably some legal reason that they can't.

FCC Rules are crazy

I live in Dothan, AL. I had Dish back in the 90's when I got all 4 networks from NYC and 2 from LA. Those were the good old days. Dish now supplies Dothan locals but our DMA does not include an NBC affiliate. The FCC has a document that lists ''significantly viewed" stations for many cities around the country. For Dothan, AL, WJHG in Panama City, FL, is on the list as an NBC station. The other 4 (CBS,ABC,FOX,PBS) are local to Dothan and provided by Dish currently. Both the cable companies (Comcast & Time-Warner) provide 2 NBC affiliates. One in Montgomery (WSFA) and the one from PC (WJHG) and both are transmitted by the Dish system as locals to Montgomery and Panama City respectively. Dothan is only 90 miles from PC so Dish could activate WJHG for me and it would be the same as the cable companies and blessed by the FCC since it is listed as a 'significantly viewed' station for Dothan, AL. I should not have to get waivers to watch an NBC station from Atlanta which, since Jan 2007 has been denied by WJHG. So for the last 10 months I have not seen NBC. It's a stupid rule.
Anyone have any similar experiences? I wrote to my Congressman complaining about these FCC rules and have not heard any responce yet.

If WJHG is 90 miles from you than you should not need a waiver to receive Atlanta's WXIA. There is no physical way you could receive a grade "B" signal with an outdoor antenna. I would let NPS know this and demand a signal test from WJHG. WJHG will have to pay for the test since they will not be able to prove you can receive a grade "B" signal at your address. You will have to have a rooftop antenna to demand the test. It has nothing to do if you can receive WJHG on cable, but only if you can receive WJHG with a grade "B" signal. WJHG is not even in your DMA. You would have to pay for the test if you could receive a grade "B" signal, but at 90 miles you are safe.

Yes, I get my feeds from Dothan, too - so we're in the same boat! If you have any luck, please let me know!