Local Channels

tbanks204

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Can someone explain to me why I am not allowed to receive all or a set of local channels in my viewing area, IE: Wichita, Kansas City, Topeka in Kansas. This does not make any sense to me. I am forced to accept programming from Joplin, MO Pittsburg, KS etc. I do all my shopping in Wichita, Ks and all our storms come from that direction, so it would be in our favor to get local TV info from a city to our west. Thanks

Same thing in southwest Arkansas. We're forced to watch Shreveport, La. locals unless of course you live in the hometown of US Congressman Mike Ross in Prescott, Arkansas and have D* you can have both Little Rock, AR. locals and Shreveport, La. as well. He made a special deal with directv for his hometown, so it can be done if you're powerful enough. I live 15 miles away from Prescott and can only get Louisiana locals and live 100 miles from Little Rock. Go Figure.

FCC may rule but Congressmen apparently have a trump card over them. Of course, the local cable can show both states locals but Dish is left out in the cold. I've bitched about this for years and written Congressman Ross who offers no explanation or help what so ever.
My county has approximately 26,000 people and Mr. Ross's has maybe half as many in a basically rural area so you can't say it's a numbers thing.
Yeah, I know, I can always move but it's still politics and not the fcc in my opinion.

The answer is "move" to the dma you want inside your state. Use the ota antenna for your real locals and you get the best of both. I did this years ago and taught many to do the same. I have 3 DISH accounts in my name: mine,aunt's, parents. All of them are at "moved" service addresses. My aunt in Arkansas lives in Hatfield, 9 miles from Mena, Arkansas and she wanted Ft.Smith locals. So we "moved" her and she is most happy now. She didn't consider Little Rock dma hers, since she could only receive a Cbs station from Ft.Smith over the air since she was a kid.

How do you 'move' .. do you make up a street address or something? Or use one a relative lives at? Does it matter if the receiver is hooked up to the ethernet or should it be disconnected? I've only got one receiver so it doesn't matter much either way.

From my research I could get the Minneapolis locals here which would be enough to tolerate the extra 5 bucks a month. The spot beam (Echostar 10, spotbeam 28) reaches this location in extreme eastern SD with a good signal. I get the Sioux Falls stations with my antenna and that 30 dollar gadget hooked to the receiver.

Last edited:
The answer is "move" to the dma you want inside your state. Use the ota antenna for your real locals and you get the best of both. I did this years ago and taught many to do the same. I have 3 DISH accounts in my name: mine,aunt's, parents. All of them are at "moved" service addresses. My aunt in Arkansas lives in Hatfield, 9 miles from Mena, Arkansas and she wanted Ft.Smith locals. So we "moved" her and she is most happy now. She didn't consider Little Rock dma hers, since she could only receive a Cbs station from Ft.Smith over the air since she was a kid.

I'm aware of moving and that's not a problem, it's just the principal of the thing and I'm talking about different states not different towns or city's. Where I live you can't pick up any satisfactory OTA signals from either so we're at the mercy of what the fcc/archaic neilson ratings allows for satellite and/or cable viewers to watch. Unless of course you are a U.S. Congressman and you can go to D* headquarters and make a deal for your own small hometown of 6,000 to watch both states locals!
THAT'S THE POINT I'VE BEEN TRYING TO MAKE FOR A LONG TIME!!!!!!
In other words, I can't take the chance of getting caught by moving to various city's in my state and loose the only descent tv viewing possibilities in my rural area of southwest Arkansas.

In other words, I can't take the chance of getting caught by moving to various city's in my state and loose the only descent tv viewing possibilities in my rural area of southwest Arkansas.

Huh??? The worst that will happen, is that you'll get "moved" back - many of us have been moved for years now. You just got to be smart & remember WHERE you "moved" to & act accordingly if you need to call out a tech.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts