Local Channels

lodingm123

Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
mid west
Hey

Thanks in advance for any answers. So I live in MI but during the Winter months I go down to Florida.... I like to watch my local channels on Dish network and they work just fine when I am in Michigan, but when I am in Florida they say I am out of the area. What I am asking is 2 things. 1. Even though I am pointing at the same satellites and i do not touch the receiver settings why can I not receive my Detroit local channels when I am down in Florida, If someone could explain that to me I would much appreciate it? The second question I have is as follows, No matter what the previous answer is, is there any way I can get the local channels in other states?

Like I said before thanks in advance.

Marc

Spot Beams (Locals) only physically cover a portion of the Earth surface, may 200 mile circle.

When you say "get the local channels" do you mean the Detroit channels? If so, within the Spot Beam circle.

Or do you mean Locals for where you are at? Then yes.

Hey,

Yea I mean the Detroit locals, I know people used to get the Detroit locals when they moved down south during the winter, but I think that has changed. The weird thing is I get FSN detroit when I am in florida but I do not get like detroits news. But you are saying there probably is no way?

Hey,

Yea I mean the Detroit locals, I know people used to get the Detroit locals when they moved down south during the winter, but I think that has changed. The weird thing is I get FSN detroit when I am in florida but I do not get like detroits news. But you are saying there probably is no way?
Hi and :welcometo Sat Guys. When you move to Florida it is outside the spot beam area for your Detroit Locals and they cannot be viewed in Florida. Regional Sports channels are normally a Conus (Continental US) signal, so if you subscribe to this channel, you can view it pretty much anywhere in the US.

Thank you for the welcome and the answer... I am going to have to find another way then to watch the lions when i am in florida thanks!!!

I have the Sling Adapter connected to my 722 receiver and it works fine. Sometimes I have an issue with little bugs. I will submit a feedback form on the problem and it is usually correctly quickly. The Sling Adapter is only supported with the 722/722k receivers. If you have any further questions, please let me know. Thanks.

Or a slingbox. I would not be without my slingbox. It's perfect for watching local news etc.. from another location. When I'm in CT I can see all the Tampa news, and when in Florida I can see all the CT news.

If you just want SD quality on the channels then a SlingBox Solo will work fine. You will need an internet connection in Michigan that UPLOADS at 1 Mbs. In Florida you will need a connection that gives you at least 1Mbs download. Connect the Slingbox to your 211 using S video and R/W RCA cables.

To be sure your connection is reliable I would plug both the SlingBox and your 211 into an UPS.

I have watched my Dish in South America, Europe and the Middle East.

Good luck.

There are two current models. The solo and the HD Pro. You can read about them here;
Sling Media - Hardware

The Pro has a built in digital tuner, so if you had an antenna you could get your locals where ever you are even without using Satellite or Cable. I don't know if the Solo has that. The older models will work, but may not if you plan to use it on your mobile phone. Catching the local news for 10 or 15 minutes actually works great on a mobile phone when you are traveling and not at the computer. (Or if you had security cameras you wanted to check on)

I have the Pro HD in Florida, and the picture is good enough to watch through my desktop computer to my large screen TV. It mostly depends on internet speed on both ends.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts