Local Dish: Worth Pursuing?

cyberham

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Halfmoon Bay, British Columbia
About 1 1/2 years ago I discovered a local Philips C-band dish at a nearby hotel. This hotel is only about 20 miles from my home. At the time, the cables were disconnected from the hotel so I knew it wasn't being used. Now, it looks like the cables are connected and therefore it may be in use.

I'm wondering if this dish is worth chasing. It's very unlikely I will find a dish like this locally again. But it would be tough and likely cost a bit to remove it from its high perch. Would the work make sense considering its condition if I could convince the hotel to give it up?

Sat Dish_1.jpg

Sat_Dish_2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: FTA4PA
Being a Ku type, they all look big to me. I would guess 10 feet?

He might even pay me to remove all sight of it. But it's beyond my personal removal; I'd need a contractor. I stayed at the hotel last year and I think they had conventional cable TV in the room.

Last edited:
I’d be curious why the cables are hooked up now when they weren’t before.

That’s a nice solid mount. But if it was me, I’d pass, as I don’t have someone who could remove it and install it in my yard for cheap enough. Someone insured, as this is really close to a building.

I’d prefer something that’s out in the open in a yard or field, lower to the ground, on a simpler pole. That way I can disassemble it easily. If I drop something no damage. And then I can cut off the pole at ground level or below with mount attached, and let it fall to the ground, no damage done.

After moving here I made a new foundation and pole. Then reassembled the dish on the garage floor to keep it flat. Made a sled to tow it to the site with my Jeep. And thankfully there is a hobbyist with a boom truck across the road, and he lifted it onto the pole for me.

Your words of caution are wise. I think last year when I first saw it, I simply thought it would be impossible to remove without an unacceptable cost since I don't personally know anybody with a bucket truck. Since then, I have chatted up my local cable man (with access to a bucket truck) while he was installing my cable connection since we have common connections from the past.

About the disconnected cables, the hotel sold in the past year and was bought by Coast Hotels. Perhaps the new owner connected and put into use this dish for the restaurant at the property. I'll peak into the restaurant next time I go by to see if they are playing sports on the TV.