Local Distant Neighboring channels in HD

Former Cbandguy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Oakville, CT
Does anyone on this forum have any idea why a satellite service provider can provide local distant neighboring channels in standard digital only and not in high definition? Is it the FCC preventing a satellite provider from providing neighboring local distants in HD or is it possibly a decision by the satellite provider not to provide this service because of high costs or possibly limited bandwith technology at present?

I reside in Connecticut and local distant neighboring channels from New York City are provided in standard digital format only to certain zip codes areas that are considered significantly viewed for these New York City channels within the tri-state area of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut that are out of the New York City DMA but neighbor that DMA.

It is very frustrating to receive a local distant neighboring channel when you cannot watch it in high definition. Although I receive my CT locals in HD, there are occassions where a program is being broadcast on the NY channel in HD and not on the CT local channel such as the NY local news, etc.

If the FCC revised the satellite home viewer act to allow satellite providers to offer local distant neighboring channels to certain significantly viewed channels neighboring a DMA, why won't they allow it in HD. I can't believe that "high definition" is used as a hot commodity to persuade viewers to watch certain channels when they are already provided such channels in standard digital anyway.

Who do you contact to complain about this unfair ruling?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)