Local FOX (Abilene, TX) and Dish dispute?

olfenite

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 6, 2008
Just saw a commercial on my FOX station (KXVA in Abilene, TX) that tonight they will no longer be carried by Dish and that I needed to switch to Directv or get an off-air antenna.

I would like some more information, please. KXVA's website has nothing about it.

I am unable to pick it up with off-air antenna. No one around here within a 10 mile radius of my location can pick it up here in Rowena, TX. Probably even further than that because KXVA is not a very powerful station. There are no cable providers here in the sticks either. Nearly every house around here has a Dish Network satellite on their roof.

I am almost certain that people will not leave right away, but come August when football season is starting, if there isn't any changes, people will leave. A lot of people like their college teams and Dallas Cowboys around here, and I know we are not many people and a small handful of subscribers won't affect you much, but the fact is that you have a group of long time Dish users, and they will leave if this channel is not restored by then.

I'm not trying to make this sound like a threat because as a member of a small rural community, I realize we aren't much to the bottom line. I also intend to hold out as long as possible in hope of a solution, but something needs to be done to make sure that this does not drag out. I am a long time member of Dish, and I don't want to switch to Directv, but I'll do what is necessary.

Anyway, sorry for the long message, but if there is any additional information, I'd gladly appreciate it. Thank you.

DISH is currently in contract negotiations with Bayou City Broadcasting, the owner of the your local stations. Bayou City Broadcasting is demanding an outrageous rate increase of more than 700% for this channel. We will continue to work diligently for reasonable rates and remain hopeful we can reach a fair agreement.

DISH is currently in contract negotiations with Bayou City Broadcasting, the owner of the your local stations. Bayou City Broadcasting is demanding an outrageous rate increase of more than 700% for this channel. We will continue to work diligently for reasonable rates and remain hopeful we can reach a fair agreement.

Where did you cut and paste that from? See Below...

DISH is currently in contract negotiations with [ Insert corporate name of local channel in dispute with here ] the owner of the your local stations. [ Insert corporate name of local channel in dispute with here ] is demanding an outrageous rate increase of more than 700% for this channel. We will continue to work diligently for reasonable rates and remain hopeful we can reach a fair agreement.

I'm just curious as to why he is in Abilene DMA? He should be in San Angelo's DMA in Runnels county. TRUCK ADS® | San Angelo AD MARKET | Advertising | Billboards | Graphics | Call 1 800 TRUCK AD Move him into that DMA and it's fix that is unless Bayou is pulling the same crap in that DMA also. Master control for both of Bayou's stations is run out of San Angelo.

I've wondered that for a long time as well. For whatever reason, Runnels is in Abilene's DMA.

DMA Overview

To be honest, I'd prefer San Angelo as I consider that my 'local' channels. I used to have an over the air antenna to pick them up. I could pick everything up. KTXS, KRBC, KTAB from Abilene, and KLST and KSAN from San Angelo, but neither FOX affiliates KXVA or KIDY. A real nasty storm tore my antenna up, and I'm scared to go up on the roof and put a new one up considering the size of antenna needed is massive.

And with that said, I guess it is a possibility that KXVA (FOX Abilene) or KIDY (FOX San Angelo) has increased their power since I've lost my antenna, but I have my doubts. I would had heard about it from neighbors.

Regardless of all that, Bayou Broadcasting also owns KIDY, and I'd be willing to bet that they're going through the same thing.

Last edited:
another dispute with dish?
imagine that

i wish they would release real number i see 700% claimed
is that 10 cents to 70 cents?
1 cent to 7 cents?
$1 to $7?

another dispute with dish?
imagine that

i wish they would release real number i see 700% claimed
is that 10 cents to 70 cents?
1 cent to 7 cents?
$1 to $7?

Good point, lets just let them charge whatever they want for a service that is protected and in return is supposed to be FREE. People putting this on Dish are putting their heads in the sand. Everyone was on Dish for not carrying RSN's, and what do we see? Direct TV in the early stages of charging customers a surcharge - If you think the few being charged is the end of it, you really are naive. The locals and RSN problem is going to hit every provider sooner or later as has already been seen.

Last edited:
Good point, lets just let them charge whatever they want for a service that is protected and in return is supposed to be FREE. People putting this on Dish are putting their heads in the sand. Everyone was on Dish for not carrying RSN's, and what do we see? Direct TV in the early stages of charging customers a surcharge - If you think the few being charged is the end of it, you really are naive. The locals and RSN problem is going to hit every provider sooner or later as has already been seen.

People putting this on Dish are doing it because they are by far the worst offender. What does Directv charging a surcharge for RSNs in 1 out of 50 states have to do with Dish constantly pulling locals?

People in NY get 4 RSNs and they also happen to be the more expensive RSNs. That's not really comparable to most of the country that gets 1 RSN that is cheaper than all 4 of the NY RSNs. I don't see all the doom and gloom that you keep throwing out there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)