Local HD channel PQ question

johnner1999

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 18, 2004
earth
Just curious how the PQ was with E* on local channels. Do they typically over compress them? If it matters I'm in the Hartford market in CT. On DirecTV they appear as good as OTA ok maybe not but close.

I think it varies depending on your area and where they get the signal from. I know in Detroit, Dish tends to over-compress my ABC station a bit but my other HD locals through Dish look fine.

I get pixelation during storms,and turn dish on and they are fine.
The over the air is probably the best signal without compresion,but seems the new digital channels have bad issues during rain and thunderstorms.
I'm in south Louisiana.The weather changes daily.so---so does my reception.

Here in the Indianapolis area, I can't tell the difference between OTA and Dish, and I'm pretty discerning when it comes to picture quality.

I see a slight difference between ota & hd in my local area. I give ota the edge. I use ota for Abc and Fox and the sat for NBC & CBS. My ota Cbs station has a lot of outages and isn't reliable for power recordings.

Virtually none in the Hartford mkt just as there is none in the Tampa mkt. We looked very carefully and maybe right up close at times you might see slightly less definition around the chin but at viewing distance nada.

Hi, I am in the Hartford CT DMA and I have had Dish for over 12 years. The PQ of the locals is very good. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Lexington, KY dma looks great on EA. And the 3 to 1 difference in dvr recording time has been VERY nice. :)

I use my ota for NBC, CBS, and the CW and Dish for ABC and FOX as those 2 stations I don't receive a reliable signal on the antenna. But I do give a slight edge to the ota.

Lexington, KY dma looks great on EA. And the 3 to 1 difference in dvr recording time has been VERY nice. :)
This cannot be overstated...the slight increase in PQ for OTA usually does not justify the 3x-4x recording space used up on the HDD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts