Local HD channels issue at night

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hugot

Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
Nevada
I installed a Slimline dish on my house and I have an HD/DVR and HD receiver.
I adjusted the dish for the best signal possible and the weakest ones are as follows:
101 78
110 96
119 81
99(a) 78
103(b) 87

The problem I'm having is that the local HD channels (2, 4, 8, 11) start messing up at night and only at night, usually after 8:00 pm or so. All of the other HD channels (HBO, etc.) are perfect all of the time. I get the "searching for signal" message with a poor image sometimes. Sometimes just breaks up and so on.
It's not windy or snowy or anything.
What gives?

I installed a Slimline dish on my house and I have an HD/DVR and HD receiver.
I adjusted the dish for the best signal possible and the weakest ones are as follows:
101 78
110 96
119 81
99(a) 78
103(b) 87

The problem I'm having is that the local HD channels (2, 4, 8, 11) start messing up at night and only at night, usually after 8:00 pm or so. All of the other HD channels (HBO, etc.) are perfect all of the time. I get the "searching for signal" message with a poor image sometimes. Sometimes just breaks up and so on.
It's not windy or snowy or anything.
What gives?

Your locals are supplied by D* , not OTA right ?

Check your connections, mainly outside ones and potentially a LNB.

Your locals should be on the 99 or 103 sat, check them when they start to go out and see where they are at.
Is it moist out there, as in dew ? Is there a large change of temp. ?

The 3 cables go into a plastic box outside the house (previously used by the Cable company) where I connected to the 2 existing cables using barrel connectors but I did run one more cable for the second tunner on the DVR, also connected with a barrel connector.
In addition, there are 4 connectors on the Slimline LNB and I'm only using 3. How important is it to have a limiting resistor on the unused one?
There is a temperature change at night but no moisture inside the box.

has to be your particular transponder that provides the HD locals. I had a similar problem with channel 720-1 which is the MLB HD channel that carries like 10 games on the same screen, It also looked bad particularly in the evenings. So i did a check of all TPS in some were in the 40's and 50's.. once I tweaked it, they went up to 80's and 90's and problem fixed.

Check your signal strengths for sure. Typically though, your locals are on spot beams which should actually be stronger than the CONUS nationals.

DirecTV is currently experiencing some transmission problems that seem especially bad on the local spot beams on certain channels. For instance, FOX-11 (KTTV-HD) in the LA area is really bad in the evenings. A recording at my mother's house on a completely different system experiences the same outages (typically a "brrrip" in the audio and sometimes a black video feed). However, we're fortunate that we can record the same thing on the DNS "national" version of KTTV-HD without the glitches. Both of us show 100% signal strength on the problem version of Fox.

Exactly! And the non-hd versions seem to be fine so we wind up watching the non-hd (mostly ABC and CBS) version because of these glitches.

Together with the other weird stuff i'm beginning to think I'm going nuts.

You have the wrong barrell connectors you need them approved to at least 2.3 Ghz those are most commonly blue in color.

Status
Please reply by conversation.