Local hd channels not showing in full screen

thecardkid01

Original poster
Nov 24, 2006
I have an lcd hdtv that supports 1080i. For some reason when I switch to my local hd channels, it's not displayed to fit my screen. Other hd channels are fine. What's the cause for this? Thanks!

I have an lcd hdtv that supports 1080i. For some reason when I switch to my local hd channels, it's not displayed to fit my screen. Other hd channels are fine. What's the cause for this? Thanks!

If the show you are watching was not filmed in HD you will see bars on the side of your screen. Just because it is a HD feed does not mean every show will be in HD. Look at ESPN sometimes and you will notice on some shows you will see a ESPNHD banner on the sides. That means that that show was not filmed in HD. Hope this helps.

If the show you are watching was not filmed in HD you will see bars on the side of your screen. Just because it is a HD feed does not mean every show will be in HD. Look at ESPN sometimes and you will notice on some shows you will see a ESPNHD banner on the sides. That means that that show was not filmed in HD. Hope this helps.

Yup...the best you will get from your locals is primetime TV plus the Late Shows like Letterman & Leno.....Even primetime is hit or miss - no game shows and most reality shows are still SDTV.....CSI, Law & Order, ER and some comedy shows make it all worthwhile tho....:up:up

It's because most of the local stuff is SD, not HD. WHen the local channel shows an HD program you'll get full screen.

Unfortunately many local stations have gotten calls with questions like yours and have decided that rather than telling people the real reason, they've gone to "stretch-o-vision" for all their broadcasts, filling the full screen so people think they're getting HD, but in actuality they're getting a totally distorted SD program.

I have lots of trouble watching these types of programs and wish that someone would take the bull by the horns and get these stations to broadcast in the proper perspective and let people stretch their pictures via their video setups if they really feel the need to fill the full screen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)