Local HD Channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

FourEyedGeek

Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
We are very close to making the decision to switch from cable to Dish and am curious about local HD channels. According to the website I can get locals but not in HD. I have Local HD now through my cable system and I hate to give that up. That one point is keeping me from making the jump. Is there a timeline or someway of knowing when Dish will start carrying the HD channels for your local market? I am in the East Tennessee area.

I recently became a member of the site and I have learned alot from everyones post. Thanks in advance for any guidance. :D

You will have to put an antenna up to get your locals in HD thru the 622 or 211 or keep a subscription to lifeline cable.

FYI, you can't record the local HD channels via the lifeline cable on the 622, only OTA or via DBS.

No one knows very far in advance which HD locals Dish will add. They are available to me, but I much prefer using an OTA antenna.

I live approx 50 miles from Knoxville, TN. Will the OTA antenna work that far away in these hills of East Tennessee?

Go to AntennaWeb and enter your address. See what it says. You can try buying the recommended antenna from radioshack, so if it doesn't work out you can return it. Or you can pay an installer who will generally guarantee a signal or your money back.

If you are within range, the picture quality will be superior to the quality you will get from satellite or most cable systems. And if you have a 622, you'll still be able to DVR all your favorite programs.

NOPE! I don't pay for locals, and I still record OTA onto my ViP622. Granted, I don't have the EPG info, but I simply set the time and channel, just like we all did with VCRs.

If you are within range, the picture quality will be superior to the quality you will get from satellite or most cable systems.

How is it that OTA picture quality is superior to cable or satellite? I've always read that digital reception is either perfect or non-existent, with nothing in between. Is it due to signal compression with satellite and cable?

How is it that OTA picture quality is superior to cable or satellite? I've always read that digital reception is either perfect or non-existent, with nothing in between. Is it due to signal compression with satellite and cable?

Signals have to be compressed when supplie by Satellite and cable otherwise they would only be able to supply only a couple of HD channels total. OTA signals main restraint is the amount of power the local stations put into it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)