Local HD from Dish ??

jimjo3298

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
Fremont Nebraska
Are almost all the subscribers to dish, asking for locals in Hd, live in rural areas, and can't use an offair Antenna. Most new TV's have an ATSC tuner and Dish receivers have and 8vsb off air digital tuner. So what I don't understand is why those subs can't use an offair antenna to get local HD, unless they aren't broadcasting in most areas.

Some cannot receiver the signals, some are not allowed to hang an antenna on their property for varying reasons, and some don't want to bother to hang an antenna for their own reasons (too lazy, the antenna is ugly, I'd rather pay for it, ect.)

My house is surrounded by trees and a good breeze causes multipath interference for my OTA HD which causes it to drop the channel. Granted, I am using an indoor directional amplified antenna and have to expect such performance. I've been hedging my bets to get the local HD's through DISH rather than install an outdoor antenna, which I don't want because of the expense and/or trouble.

The expense of an HD antenna maybe $100 with mast tripod or eve mount. Locals from dish $60 a year forever. I've had my HD locals for 4 years. Granted not all my locals were up then, but all 5 networks have been for the last 2 years. I use a Mx-59 100 inch boom length UHF antenna. i get all the locals from Omaha NE and 2 PBS channels from red Oak Iowa. Omaha is about 40 miles away and Red Oak Iowa is about 95 miles. I have my 622 and 2 converter boxes hooked up with no booster and My antenna is on the roof for Optimal reception.

I live in the Huntsville DMA #83 about 10 miles from most of my local stations. I did add the HD locals with the 61.5 wing dish. I already had a 1000.2.

I get a good signal OTA on all stations with indoor Silver Sensors, except for the CW station. No big loss.

The reason I added the HD locals is so I can record 2 network shows in HD at the same time with my Vip722. I also wanted to be ready for new channels on 61.5 in the future (I hope).

lowdown

If you're in Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, some parts of Illinois, etc. you can probably get HD OTA for 125 to 150 miles; that's why the modulation scheme was chosen.

The down side for those of us who live in hilly, rolling, forested terrain is you can be 25 miles away and get squat. E.g, Kentucky.

fitzie

The expense of an HD antenna maybe $100 with mast tripod or eve mount. Locals from dish $60 a year forever. I've had my HD locals for 4 years. Granted not all my locals were up then, but all 5 networks have been for the last 2 years. I use a Mx-59 100 inch boom length UHF antenna. i get all the locals from Omaha NE and 2 PBS channels from red Oak Iowa. Omaha is about 40 miles away and Red Oak Iowa is about 95 miles. I have my 622 and 2 converter boxes hooked up with no booster and My antenna is on the roof for Optimal reception.

You've a point with the overall expense of outdoor antenna vs. locals from Dish. That part of my rationale is a bit weak. Actually, if you cancel your locals from Dish, can you still use the OTA receiver? I have an older TV (46" Hitachi 46F500 with no internal tuner) and need the Dish's receiver.

You've a point with the overall expense of outdoor antenna vs. locals from Dish. That part of my rationale is a bit weak. Actually, if you cancel your locals from Dish, can you still use the OTA receiver? I have an older TV (46" Hitachi 46F500 with no internal tuner) and need the Dish's receiver.

If you dont subscribe to Locals then YES you can still use an antenna with your receiver, you just wont have any guide data.

1) You don't have any guide data for your OTA
2) You won't be able to watch/record more than one OTA channel at once...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts