Local HD OTA in Richmond, VA?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

CompiledMonkey

Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
I'm getting DTV installed on Tuesday and I need to figure out how I'm going to get the local channels in HD. My only problem right now is the ability to have ABC, NBC, CBS, an FOX in HD. I really don't care about the "local" thing, just the national programming from these stations.

Anyway, I was told I could request this from a source like New York, but they also said it's not a definite yes either. It's highly likely I wouldn't get them all. I've heard it's possible to use an antenna to get these in HD OTA but will that go away early next year with the whole digital conversion taking place?

I'm at a loss here. I simply can't have TV service where I can't get the Superbowl in HD. :)

Im in Williamsburg and put up a Channelmaster 3020(BIG) Channel Master CM 3020 Deep Fringe Advantage TV Antenna (CM3020) | CM3020 [Channel Master] | CM 3020 CM-3020 CM-3020 CM 3020 in my attic. Its pointed toward the Norfolk locals, but I also get Richmond. So I know if it was pointed in the right direction Id get Richmond 100%.

Its a little overkill, but it works and Id recommend it if you have room. The digital transition has nothing to do with it, you are going to pick up the digital hd channels for OTA anyways.

If you live in Richmond or the suburbs around yea you will definitely need what elwaylite suggested. If you live in southern Virginia near the Lakes (South Hill, Clarksville, Boydton, Chase City etc) then you will also get Raleigh/Durham Locals which are in SD and HD.

If you try you can get national Networks ABC/NBC/FOX/CBS as well as they do not require waivers but do not trust that the sales person will set that up for you, you will have to contact a D* CSR to get those activated.

I'm getting DTV installed on Tuesday and I need to figure out how I'm going to get the local channels in HD. My only problem right now is the ability to have ABC, NBC, CBS, an FOX in HD. I really don't care about the "local" thing, just the national programming from these stations.
:)

Just have the D* guy install a UHF antenna on a "J" pole, when he installs your dish and diplex it onto the incoming cable, then reverse diplex it at your TV. Make sure the OTA antenna can "see" over the peak of your roof, if installed where your dish is located, so the roof peak is not in the line of sight to the boradcast towers.

I looked up Richmond on antennapoint.com. All of the stations you want are within 9 miles, are UHF and on a compose heading of between 239 and 257 degrees (may be slightly different, depending on what part of Richmond you live in).

As close as you are to the towers you want, even an indoor antenna should do the job (ourdoor is better). But buy a newer indoor (or outdoor) antenna, designed and optimized for UHF reception. Many of the TV antenna designs now in use and on the market today such as the Yagi and rabbit ears have technology roots going back 30 years or more and may not work well with the digital chip sets in converter boxes or digital TV tuners.

While it’s correct that antennas can’t tell the difference between analog and digital signals, there are definitely certain models which have higher DTV batting averages than others. Not all antennas are equally suited for DTV. A percentage of viewers will require something a little more tailored for DTV reception.

Buy it from a source that will completely refund their purchase price, no questions asked, if it doesn’t do the job for you.

Many of the TV antenna designs now in use and on the market today such as the Yagi and rabbit ears have technology roots going back 30 years or more and may not work well with the digital chip sets in converter boxes or digital TV tuners.

While it’s correct that antennas can’t tell the difference between analog and digital signals, there are definitely certain models which have higher DTV batting averages than others. Not all antennas are equally suited for DTV. A percentage of viewers will require something a little more tailored for DTV reception.

Sorry I disagree with your comments. Antennas are antennas, you can't build an antenna which is better "suited for DTV", it's just marketing hype. If you have UHF, you need a UHF antenna. If you have VHF-hi or VHF-lo, you need an antenna which will receive those signals as well. With an indoor antenna, there is probably no better way of receiving VHF signals than with "rabbit ears". And many of the best UHF antennas (like the 91XG) are yagi designs.
Many of the best antenna designs go back 30 years or more (look at the CM4228, one of the best UHF antennas available and it has been around for ever). Why? Because antenna design is all about the physics of the thing, and the physics is just the same now as it was 30 years ago.

Just have the D* guy install a UHF antenna on a "J" pole, when he installs your dish and diplex it onto the incoming cable, then reverse diplex it at your TV. Make sure the OTA antenna can "see" over the peak of your roof, if installed where your dish is located, so the roof peak is not in the line of sight to the boradcast towers.

I looked up Richmond on antennapoint.com. All of the stations you want are within 9 miles, are UHF and on a compose heading of between 239 and 257 degrees (may be slightly different, depending on what part of Richmond you live in).

As close as you are to the towers you want, even an indoor antenna should do the job (ourdoor is better). But buy a newer indoor (or outdoor) antenna, designed and optimized for UHF reception. Many of the TV antenna designs now in use and on the market today such as the Yagi and rabbit ears have technology roots going back 30 years or more and may not work well with the digital chip sets in converter boxes or digital TV tuners.

Buy it from a source that will completely refund their purchase price, no questions asked, if it doesn’t do the job for you.

1st that antenna install not going to happen.
2nd throwing out numbers when the OP never said where he lived in richmond or suburbs is dumb.

Anyway, I was told I could request this from a source like New York, but they also said it's not a definite yes either. It's highly likely I wouldn't get them all. I've heard it's possible to use an antenna to get these in HD OTA but will that go away early next year with the whole digital conversion taking place?

I'm at a loss here. I simply can't have TV service where I can't get the Superbowl in HD. :)

Richmond, VA - HDTV - AVS Forum

And I forgot to say you can't just diplex with DirecTV signals. The new DirecTV10 (and 11) satellites transmit signals which when converted by the LNB are in the b-band that overlaps OTA, so conventional diplexing won't work (unless you have an SWM)

OP,
I agree with what Texasbrit said, entirely....

An antenna is an antenna ... When I first got started in the Digital OTA stuff many years ago. My Dad had an old antenna we use to use way back in the '60's sitting in his garage collecting dust.
I said, let me see that thing.
I set it up on the porch and hooked it up to my HD TV and turned it slightly and low and behold, I had all 4 networks in HD.. I was amazed and thrilled at the same time.

I used it for awhile, then went out and bought a newer one, the reason I bought the newer one was because I was looking to get something that would go farther as well, I was able to pick up the local Toledo AND Detroit with the newer one.
Basically the difference is the antenna I bought was designed for longer distances.

There is ways posted elsewhere that people have managed to diplex with the new set up, but I have never been impressed with the idea.
Just run a seperate line from the antenna to the rec. and you'll be happier in the long run.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)