LOCAL MOVING

Status
Please reply by conversation.
We've had many threads on this, it is not difficult but read up first. On the directv forum page do a search for "moving".

If Iceberg is around, I'm pretty sure he'd be pretty good at showing you how to "move". He did once for me when I was with Dish and it's really easy.

Tell you what, when I have time later, I'll tell you how to "move". It's really not that complicated but just wait for my reply so you don't do anything wrong. Right now I'm kinda busy but I will answer you.

Pretty simple, you pick an address in the DMA you want that has no chance of having a Directv account. Doesn't have to match to an actual postal address, but the road and address range needs to exist.

Call and say you moved but there was a dish there already and everything is up and working. Make sure they change the service address (this controls your locals) After they change it you can change your billing address back to where you receive your mail online on the directv profile. You may need to refresh your receivers (reboot, or even reauthorize) to switch the locals.

You'll need to resetup any series links to the new channels.

Ensure you stay within the spotbeam, perhaps 100 miles or so from center of the DMA or you won't get signal.

Thats a simple overview for you.

A lot of people suggest to use the search on this site, but it just doesn't work for some people. I can search for something as plain as "Directv" and it shows no results. It's never worked for me and I've lurked here for years. It doesn't work on Chrome or Firefox on my computer. The search works wonderfully on the app on my phone, though.

Pretty simple, you pick an address in the DMA you want that has no chance of having a Directv account. Doesn't have to match to an actual postal address, but the road and address range needs to exist.

Call and say you moved but there was a dish there already and everything is up and working. Make sure they change the service address (this controls your locals) After they change it you can change your billing address back to where you receive your mail online on the directv profile. You may need to refresh your receivers (reboot, or even reauthorize) to switch the locals.

You'll need to resetup any series links to the new channels.

Ensure you stay within the spotbeam, perhaps 100 miles or so from center of the DMA or you won't get signal.

Thats a simple overview for you.

Exactly. I couldn't have said it better myself. My explanation will be kinda long but it'll help you by saving you a lot of trouble. Pick a housing number between two actual houses (google map search it). Not any other buildings but houses, otherwise it'd get too complicated. For example, if the numbers were 208 and 212, pick 210. Also, I was told once here to send by e-mail, not call by phone about changing your service address, and I agree, in case they question you about it. Now don't get too greedy and change your service address too often, otherwise they'll catch on, and have to send a tech out each time you try to, and you don't want that trust me. I got greedy and almost got busted by that, but you might not be so lucky. What I did is send by e-mail saying the address wasn't supposed to be changed, and frankly they bought it, but you don't want to go that far. Try spacing out "moving" for between one and two months. I'd recommend two. And you might want to check online on your account after it's supposed to be all correct to make sure it is, otherwise then call to make sure whatever error it is is corrected. And remember in the beginning tell them to keep the billing address the same.

By the way, if you want to still have your true locals, get a TV antenna. I'd recommend as good of an outdoor one as you can get, but if you can't, there are still pretty good indoor ones. Want to still use DVR function on your true locals? Get a DVR that works with antennas such as the TiVo Roamio preferably if you get one from TiVo (that's the model I have) and if you can afford it, otherwise there are cheaper TiVo options, and Channel Master has some good subscription free models too. Just go to the Over-the-Air boards on this forum and they can give pretty good suggestions as well. There's also the AM21 attachment to your DVR, but that's such a hassle, not as good, and you have to mess typing in a bunch of zip codes to get SOME of the locals you want, and not all with or with the correct guide data. But I recommend if you want one, for it would come in the same guide info as your DirecTV channels, the others won't and you have to change inputs, order one first, then "move" a couple weeks later. If you find you end up wanting one later on down the road, have them send it to the billing address. If you have any questions about the AM21 Off-Air Tuner, the people on this board will be able to help. Only get a DVR for your antenna if you want guide info and/or DVR functionality. And quite frankly, I love my TiVo Roamio, and I have lifetime service. Sometimes TiVo's customer service sucks though (such as getting them to add channels to your lineup, but I was told my situation was pretty unusual).

And when you need to upgrade equipment, then look around for a AUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY DirecTV Dealer in your area to help you. It might cost a little more money wise, but it's cheaper in the long run, and better than getting caught. Keep in mind that if you do get caught, all that happens is they return your service address to where you actually are, give you your true locals, and they'll have to send a tech out. But a third party DirecTV dealer can help you out often where they can give you the service you need or even products and you don't have all the hassle of dealing changing your service address back as well as other things (gets too long explaining as it is). But if you truly find you have no other option AND AS A LAST RESORT but to deal with DirecTV themselves, e-mail them, tell them you moved back to your billing address, wait a couple weeks, then have them come out to your place and do the service. Then wait two months and "move" back by e-mail. Another good tip would be when you need to order from DirecTV, and can't buy from a local third party dealer or local store, then call them and make sure they send it to the billing address. You may need to ask them twice where they are going to send it. Then after that, check online everywhere you can such as your DirecTV account and make sure it's going to the right place. If you find out it's not, call them and make sure they do, and you may have to repeat the process until it appears that everything is correct.

And if you have any questions about locals, ask the guys here, they are really good help. I had a service from one spot then later found out about another that had the same locals but different ones as well. Mine is a two market zip code. Just ask the guys here. Now make sure you don't give your name or address (obviously) but state the city you are in then ask for some good zip code locations. Perhaps someone can help you out here in this thread, you just have to ask. They know their stuff here.

Here's another tip. I often check the weather app on the Weather Nation channel or look at the weather online for the area you are supposedly in (just type in a zip code) before I have to call DirecTV. They often just ask you "how's the weather in your area" not to test you, but to make conversation, but it's still good to be as accurate as you can, even if they really don't check on it. It's good to know what the weather is like in your area before going outside anyways, so google search it and find some good sites or even try ask.com.

Now more than likely you might have trouble remembering everything everybody helps you out in this thread, so I'd suggest printing this out for at least right now (especially all the tips I give you), and save them until at least you think you can remember them, if not longer. Those are all the tips I have for you right now, and if I can think of anymore, but for right now, I'd say this is adequate. I spent a lot of time typing this out to save you a lot of trouble, time, and hassle, but now need a break.

P.S. My best advise for you is that if you think you don't know what you are doing, don't do it. My suggestion is to do it to get the locals you want. You won't get any real trouble if you get caught, legal or otherwise, and won't lose service either. You can do this with Dish Network too (any satellite service). It may sound like it, but it's really not that complicated, and in all reality not that much to remember (though it sounds like it). And just use your best judgment.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts